Just had a most unpleasant experience (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
We've just pitched on a CL site near Caernarfon. On the way out of the town a following motorist raced past and braked suddenly in front of us. Then proceeded at 10 mph , then stopped for nearly a minute. I expected him to get out of his car with a wrench in his hand. Other cars behind got a bit inpatient. He then raced off. We had locked all the doors and the dashcam was on. But we did fear for our safety. The first experience of this sort of thing and it has left us shaken up a bit. More than I would have anticipated. I hope this sort of thing does not happen often.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Probably a good idea to report it to police especially as you have footage of the incident it may stop others from experiencing the same.
Hope you recover soon and get on and enjoy your break.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Crash for cash ? Sorry you're shaken up but probably just a prat who's had a row with someone.
I suppose you could give the reg number yo local police in case the car is stolen / on a used in a crime list.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
What a horrible experience, the only time we have experienced that was in Greece and like you found it very frightening, as you have dash cam maybe a good idea to report it to the local police.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Just do what I did when driving down a narrow road with trailer on, car came the other way and gesticulated that I would have to reverse, I smiled raised a cup of coffee and settled back in the driving seat. They reversed.:LOL:

Ian

?

Deleted User
Report it now while you are still shaking. Plod will see how upsetting this was for you and with evidence there is more chance of them doing something about it.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We've just pitched on a CL site near Caernarfon. On the way out of the town a following motorist raced past and braked suddenly in front of us. Then proceeded at 10 mph , then stopped for nearly a minute. I expected him to get out of his car with a wrench in his hand. Other cars behind got a bit inpatient. He then raced off. We had locked all the doors and the dashcam was on. But we did fear for our safety. The first experience of this sort of thing and it has left us shaken up a bit. More than I would have anticipated. I hope this sort of thing does not happen often.
But why, what was he trying to do.

weebill

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2014
aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2006
I would definitely report to the police. They will most likely pay a visit and keep the number on record in case it happens again.
My other half has on occasion been bullied because she drives a fast car within the speed limit and the police were very receptive to the report.

Bill

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
But why, what was he trying to do.
I think he was fed up following me out of the town. 30 and 40 mph limits. He wanted to make a point about driving behind someone slow (to him).

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Sorry to hear of your experience Steve. :(

Whilst it is still a bit raw for you and yours, report it, and also make sure you save and copy the footage. I have copied and saved two incidents caught on Dash Cam, just in case someone tried to implicate me instead, for wreckless or dangerous driving.

Glad to hear that you safe from the ordeal, and good luck with the Police.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Gosh that sounds really uncomfortable, even from here.
I agree: report it, especially as you have evidence of what you're saying, and now, while you're still 'feeling it'.

Pleased you're safe though.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Sorry you have been through this. I had similar experience but there were no other cars on the road .. his stop start antic lasted about 20 mins and then when I overtook eventually he put his foot down and tried to force me off the road on the right. Report him .. next time, his road rage could kill someone.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
It's just a nob head. Years and years ago, 4 of us went to Malta on hols. At that time, the hire cars there all had yellow number plates so were instantly recognisable as such - and we were regularly placed in danger - trying to force us off the road, cutting in in front of us, etc. This was exceedingly batty since both my husband and our friends were excellent and well experienced drivers plus the hire car was an Allegro - we had a Vanden Plas one at home and they also owned one - so not like the vehicle was unfamiliar - or we weren't used to driving on 'that' side of the road or in a RH drive car!

We mentioned it to the hire company - wondering at first if there was something wrong with the car or something. Were there local driving conventions we weren't aware of, which we were violating? Nope - there was a breed of people on the island who didn't approve of anything they decided they didn't like, and hire cars were a regular target. But not to worry about the car if the worst came to the worst, as both the Police and Royal Insurance locally were quite used to it - so take whatever avoiding action was necessary to avoid injury to you and your friends - and bugger the damage to either of the cars!

They'll believe you anyway, the Police - cos you're English!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We in fact, stayed in Caernarfon this spring and thought how mh friendly it was , parked on the car park against the castle and the bloke there helped us park and put us in a place where it was easy to get out and very friendly, and two very nice wilding spots right on the sea front just about two miles south along the coast, stayed a couple of days which is not like us, we useualy move on everyday(y):)

?

Deleted User
Only ever been along as far as Llandudno but a quick google tells me Caernarfon does look rather nice.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a few years back i had an incident where an italian driver overtook me on a corner, cut in and braked. my car at that time was an old nissan patrol with full width bull bars. left a good amount of damage on his fiat punto but only scratched the plastic on my bars. best part was that as he jumped out of his car waving inurance claim papers a policecar going in the other direction stopped. after a bit of fuss it turned out the italian was working his way across europe using the same con trick to fund his travels. got nothing from me though

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
I had a divvy do something similar last week, at the end of a dual carriageway where it went down to one lane, he was way too late, overshot and slammed his brakes on, then feigned a left turn, shot back out making me brake hard, all the time I was on cruise control. Tosser, I might look like I'm on my own but if ever i have have to get out of the van in that kind of situation I'd always make sure a door was open for my security officers to come and join me. Ralph and Rudy don't sound very scary, but have you ever had two 47kg Ridgebacks running at you ..... lol.

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Probably a good idea to report it to police especially as you have footage of the incident it may stop others from experiencing the same.
Hope you recover soon and get on and enjoy your break.

I agree,(y) report the incident with footage to the Police.
London-Police-police-london-England-smiley-emoticon-000570-huge.png

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I had a divvy do something similar last week, at the end of a dual carriageway where it went down to one lane, he was way too late, overshot and slammed his brakes on, then feigned a left turn, shot back out making me brake hard, all the time I was on cruise control. Tosser, I might look like I'm on my own but if ever i have have to get out of the van in that kind of situation I'd always make sure a door was open for my security officers to come and join me. Ralph and Rudy don't sound very scary, but have you ever had two 47kg Ridgebacks running at you ..... lol.
my wife had a bad experience when a guy got out of the car in front and started shouting at her through the drivers window. he then made the mistake of putting a hand on/into the open window. think he filled his pants when an angry snarling very large staffy leapt forward from the back seat to protect his mum
as this was happening I was in a shop and came out just in time to see him run to his car and race away. bet he thinks twice before being as aggressive again to a woman or any other driver. 30kg of muscle and all those sharp teeth in your face must be a very good laxative

?

Deleted User
my wife had a bad experience when a guy got out of the car in front and started shouting at her through the drivers window. he then made the mistake of putting a hand on/into the open window. think he filled his pants when an angry snarling very large staffy leapt forward from the back seat to protect his mum
as this was happening I was in a shop and came out just in time to see him run to his car and race away. bet he thinks twice before being as aggressive again to a woman or any other driver. 30kg of muscle and all those sharp teeth in your face must be a very good laxative

My last dog was like that when with my wife. She would keep a close eye out on anyone who came close. Even if walking off the lead and wandering away if my wife stopped to chat to anyone the dog was over sitting and next to her. Me on the other hand. I could get mugged and the dog would be chewing a bone saying "yeah, whatever"

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
That sort of thing happened to me once on the M4 just west of Cardiff. Just an idiot lad showing off to his mates. When I wound my window down and he saw I wasn't an old bloke he drove off ( this was 15 years ago).

If it happened now he would have seen an old bloke so I don't know what would have happened.

You did the right thing.

?

Deleted User
That sort of thing happened to me once on the M4 just west of Cardiff. Just an idiot lad showing off to his mates. When I wound my window down and he saw I wasn't an old bloke he drove off ( this was 15 years ago).

If it happened now he would have seen an old bloke so I don't know what would have happened.

You did the right thing.

Lol years ago i worked for Group4 mobile patrol and attending an alarm activation Guy speed,ed up as i was overtaking. No problem as the diddy is now going my speed so i pull in. I kind of knew he was about to brake test me so as the lights came on i nipped round and away. He was soon up my ass flashing the lights and as it was a group4 logo up car he must have thought old security guard. I pulled into a side street and stopped to have this arsehole. Armed with my heavy barcode scanner out i got as this was going through his windscreen. He seen a pissed off young guy and quickly put the car in reverse and speed off in a cloud of tyre smoke.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
I am a pretty slow driver and always pull over to let other people overtake if they are stuck behind . I dont need the stress and some drivers are in a hurry . I once made a mistake pulling out of a junction in France under estimating the speed of the approaching vehicle which had to brake , after overtaking he jammed on his brakes to teach me a lesson which i thought was deserved .

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
In many ways the original incident fully justifies fitting a dash-cam. If ever you should look up Russian drivers on You Tube there can be no excuse not to have one fitted. Just the sight of the camera can be enough to deter chancers.
Alan

?

Deleted User
In many ways the original incident fully justifies fitting a dash-cam. If ever you should look up Russian drivers on You Tube there can be no excuse not to have one fitted. Just the sight of the camera can be enough to deter chancers.
Alan
I think its just more common in Russia due to premiums being higher as they cant drive to save themselves. Why people feel the need to bore us with sticking it all on youtube ill never know. See one Russian crash you see them all.

Aug 10, 2012
Worthing.West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Empty Nest
Exp
Since 1972
Had a similar incident on the A27 when we were in our Panda.
At a roundabout an old Mercedes van came up behind us and sat there, close to our bumper, with the engine being revved hard.
Eventually the traffic cleared and we drove off only to have this maniac come up alongside us in the outside lane, constantly blowing his horn and making throat cutting gestures.
I slowed right down and he then cut in in front and brake tested us- luckily by then I had plenty of room.
He then drove off at a very fast speed.
A few miles down the road we saw him in a layby- with an unmarked police car in front of him !! Oh Joy.
I can only assume that he did not like it because I didn't enter the roundabout until it was clear- not fast enough for him.
But the incident did cause a nasty feeling for a while.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back