Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We want to put in some 12v USB sockets in the cab area on the dash and I'm thinking of getting one of the below 2 hole base units and fixing it in the centre on top of the 'lift up flap/document holder' (that doesn't lift up on ours due to us having a passenger air bag) with a couple of twin USB power sockets in and connecting them to the existing 12v ciggy socket wiring. The reason for using the holder and the central location is to remove the need to drill large holes in the dash facia to put them elsewhere and also ensures that when in use all the plugged in cables will be well out of reach of errant dog paws ... they accidentally caught a lead in the past and pulled it out of the existing 12v ciggy socket and smashed the plug end in the process! The central location will also mean that the USBs are exactly where we need them for phone, sat nav etc leads.

Can anyone see any problems with this set-up?

$_1.JPG

$_57.JPG

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I think you spot on with your plans to fit USB sockets in particular. So many things run on USB that its become essential to fit extra sockets. Please keep us informed with the job, photo's would be really helpful. Good luck.

.....Robert.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I did and used the same thing Mel, in our bedroom area there was no 12v/240v or USB power, i picked up a 12v supply and ran cable behind a plinth in the bedroom and fitted one of those covers to both sides, x1 12v ciggy socket and a USB in one housing and did the same with the opposite side so we both have power while we are in bed to either charge or play - and no cables or holes to be seen anywhere.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I simply replaced one of the existing dash mounted 12v sockets with a dual USB socket, almost identical to the one in your picture Mel. Nice simple job to do and only took about half an hour to complete.

D.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
I have one of
12v 2 Way Car Cigarette Lighter Power Socket Charger Adapter Dual USB Port Twin

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Just found on ebay interesting didnt realize these were available until saw this thread

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
One possible problem to avoid is to check that they are the high power type. Many USB devices, especially the latest ones, won't stay charged from a 1 amp socket, and need 2.1amps at least. If you're permanently fixing them, you can't just drop-kick them into the canal responsibly recycle them if they aren't up to it.

An alternative if you just want USB sockets is a very neat Belkin setup designed to give rear seat car passengers their own USB sockets.

USBAdapter01.jpg USBAdapter02.jpg

There's a cigarette socket adapter with two USBs, and a wire extension to a small rectangular box with two more USBs. The rectangular box mounts nicely on top of the dash with velcro, no screws needed. It comes with a clip-in holder, which you can velcro or screw to the dash, but I don't use it.

Another advantage is they can supply up to 2.4 amps from each USB.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I simply replaced one of the existing dash mounted 12v sockets with a dual USB socket, almost identical to the one in your picture Mel. Nice simple job to do and only took about half an hour to complete.

D.
Agree Dave but it's not the USB bit that's important it's getting the leads away from where the dogs' legs can catch them - we've aleady had one lead destroyed due to an errant dog leg catching it and had close shaves with others (our Romy is a heffalump!) so want to put the cables completely out of harms (or dogs legs) way.

I have one of
12v 2 Way Car Cigarette Lighter Power Socket Charger Adapter Dual USB Port Twin
We already have one of those which is tucked in the slot above the radio (not a Fiat one so it doesn't fill the whole gap) but again we still have the lead going up to it which can get caught.

I did and used the same thing Mel, in our bedroom area there was no 12v/240v or USB power, i picked up a 12v supply and ran cable behind a plinth in the bedroom and fitted one of those covers to both sides, x1 12v ciggy socket and a USB in one housing and did the same with the opposite side so we both have power while we are in bed to either charge or play - and no cables or holes to be seen anywhere.
I did similar too for our 'bedroom' area so we could charge up stuff and watch TV there, using a single casing under the locker and a 12v ciggy socket on one side and on the other I fitted the 12v ciggy socket flush with the front of the cupboard itself.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Mooching on Ebay came across this which is another possiblity ... it's meant for motorcycles but it can be wired directly to the battery and therefore doesn't mean interferring with the existing cab socket wiring at all, it comes with either a USB on/off switch, or no switch (cheaper), but obviously the switched ones means they can be turned off although I'd probably prefer an inline fuse and switch anyway to turn the whole thing off when not in use ... views please?

Also spotted this - no good for my needs but I like the text on the switches!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you want a totally non-invasive position then there is room underneath the lift-up flap. When not in use there's also room to leave the leads connected & tucked away as well.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We converted one of the existing cab sockets to double USB and added two more sockets that are always on from the vehicle battery.
An extra double USB in the hab and a further double USB in the bedroom.
Can't remember how we managed before

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If you want a totally non-invasive position then there is room underneath the lift-up flap. When not in use there's also room to leave the leads connected & tucked away as well.
That is only applicable if you don't have a passenger air bag, for some reason when you have one they flap isn't 'liftable' any more unfortunately.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back