Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi all

Just been perusing fleabay and came across this 2005 Swift Motorhome Freestyle Fiat Caravan Diesel on eBay (end time 28-Sep-09 21:24:10 BST) can't be right surly????:Eeek:

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Mmmm!!!! yet another scam.

£6500 for a 4 year old van :Doh:

their username doesnt exist on ebay find people and the feedback score takes you to an error page on ebay.

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
So....Who's going to be the first one to press the "BUY IT NOW" button?........................:Doh:

Buyer Beware....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi pappajohn
Thats what I thought but do ebay not moniter what is going on on their site:Doh: surly if its obvious to us then it must be obvious to them:thumb:

Tim

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi pappajohn
Thats what I thought but do ebay not moniter what is going on on their site:Doh: surly if its obvious to us then it must be obvious to them:thumb:

Tim

thats the problem.....its not on ebay.
its a copycat website.
thats why theres no record of the username on ebay and no feed back record.

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
thats the problem.....its not on ebay.
its a copycat website.
thats why theres no record of the username on ebay and no feed back record.

Mmmm ok but we can all see it in the listings and why make it so cheap it stands out as not kosher?

Tim

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Its a DEFINITE SCAM

Hi all

Just been perusing fleabay and came across this 2005 Swift Motorhome Freestyle Fiat Caravan Diesel on eBay (end time 28-Sep-09 21:24:10 BST) can't be right surly????:Eeek:

Tim

Let me help here, its a SCAM be warned...im after buying myself a motorhome and been looking at ebay and seen this on a few occasions. Ive contacted ebay a number of times about this and they dont understand whats going on technically..

Let me explain whats happening!! You see the item within a list of other motorhomes and you click on the motorhome.. Yes I know the feeling, its a bargain isnt it....£20k Motorhome for £6k or whatever...

This then takes you to the page detail of the motorhome.. however if you look carefully, what it actually does is perform an immediate redirect (the page flicks) to another web site. To those without knoweldege of Internet (please see below about my experience) what is happening is that the web page you are directed to, although looking exactly like ebay, is NOT ebay. its someone who has replicated the graphics exactly and placed it on another web domain name outside of ebay They also add the nice scam elements requiring you to be pre approved etc. Anything you see here is not Ebay..it just looks like it

If you want to be able to spot this (like I spot it) another give away is the item number.

This is the Item number 220486444534 of a scam listing which then redirects to a scam page and suddenly becomes item number 220486444533. Of course they are similar but note the last digit...there is sometimes also a slight change in the used id.

im doing my best with ebay (ive reported problem 5 times now) but they dont act fast enough to my requests so that sometimes the redirect is removed before ebay look at it...

If anyone requires further details of whats going on please feel to pm me or e-mail but please dont contact them. Please also spread the word and if anyone has a direct line to ebay let me know....

(ive a masters in multimedia computing, company director of an Internet Marketing company for over 10 yrs)

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi themountaintiger

Welcome to the fun:welcome: and thanks for the detailed explanation with your experience you may well be popular on here!!, obviously we all have to be aware of these scans and I think its a good idea if anyone sees something suspicious on ebay to post it on here so hopefully none of us get stung:Blush:.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Let me explain whats happening!! You see the item within a list of other motorhomes and you click on the motorhome.. Yes I know the feeling, its a bargain isnt it....£20k Motorhome for £6k or whatever...

This then takes you to the page detail of the motorhome.. however if you look carefully, what it actually does is perform an immediate redirect (the page flicks) to another web site.

i know exactly what you mean but why is there no record of the seller if you click on their user name on ebay.....it sends you to ebays 'find member/people' page.
and if you click on their feedback score it produces an error message.

how can the listing be on ebay if the member doesnt exist on the genuine ebay.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
2005 Swift Motorhome Freestyle Fiat Caravan Diesel on eBay (end time 28-Sep-09 21:24:10 BST)

Check the URL in browser bar, its on ebay-motors.eu/uk and also linked to a Rapido

cgi-view-item.ebay-motors.eu/uk/swiftfreestyle

ViewItem&item=2001%20RAPIDO%20MOTORHOME
Peter

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Let me explain whats happening!!
(ive a masters in multimedia computing, company director of an Internet Marketing company for over 10 yrs)

Fascinating.

I've just had a look for the hell of it. On real ebay there is a bid of £3K(ish) and no buy now and then the fake site gets a buy now. So it's possible the Swift is genuine and the poor sod waiting for bids isn't getting them any more.

So how are they re-directing a genuine ebay page to another site? It shouldn't be hard for you to capture the real page and look at the code.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Also noticed before page moves to scam site their item number is in the old place whereas the genuine seller's item number is in the correct place

Also there is another bid on it now total 16 anyone from here?

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Now just who has bid up to £88000 for the 2005 Swift. just visible before the page is referred?

Rather funny, but not so funny is the eBay response - or rather, lack of it. They have not removed the original advert despite at least two reports of fraudulent activity.

Until they get a grip of this, they will lose potential customers.

Steve

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Now just who has bid up to £88000 for the 2005 Swift. just visible before the page is referred?

Rather funny, but not so funny is the eBay response - or rather, lack of it. They have not removed the original advert despite at least two reports of fraudulent activity.

Steve

Oh sh&t.:Eeek:.....i only meant to hit the 0 key twice.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Anyone know the outcome of this yet? Scam listiing still active though :Angry:

Cant see the original seller's listing now either, did a search for his item number also but came up with nil

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Update on Scams

Well I'm not even going to think about using them :ROFLMAO:

I think the ebay technical support got fed up of me. Basically what they have done is give me the telephone number of the ebay motors team.. Now dont all get excited at once cos the best thing is that the support is only open 9am-5:30pm Mon to Fri, and guess when i seem to be seeing the scams come on ebay, friday/saturday..typical. However they did give me an e-mail address...

Here is the content of the e-mail from the ebay technical support team. Please note if a few of us ring up/email they may increase the current status from "ebay scam, yawn where's my cup of coffee" to ebay scam, ok lets sort this out a week on tuesday". this of course would be a vast improvement...

Here is the content of the e-mail.....Now lets get phoning/e-mailing....

Hello Tony,

Thanks for your email regarding a section in the Motor's homepage which
redirects you to a scam page.

I've forwarded your concern to the eBay Motors Pro dealer support team
who will reply to you as soon as possible. To help us answer your
queries about eBay Motors Pro promptly in future, please send them
directly to:

dealersupport@ebaymotorspro.co.uk

You can also contact the dealer support team by phone:

0845 358 0240 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM Monday-Friday

Tony, the dealer support team will be in touch with you soon. Thanks for
your patience in the meantime. [Please note im still waiting after 5 days to be contacted]

Kind regards,

Marie Greene
eBay Customer Support

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Ebay Scam Motorhome

Latest ebay scams!!! DO NOT BID ON THIS

Here is another one!! :cry:

Item Number 200390908464
What this does is redirect to this

Link Removed

This description is actually the following 'web address'. Notice that the actual domain name is granniesbazaar as ive identified in red. The fact that it mentions cgi-ebay-co etc etc is an actual nonsense. The domain name is granniesbazaar.com

Link Removed.granniesbazaar.com/uk/mclouis/ViewItem&Item.html?ViewItem&item=Fiat%20Mclouis%20Caravan%20Diesel%20Motorhome%20Campervan

Ill see if I can find another. Sure it will only take me a couple of mins....

Last edited:

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
More info re scam process on ebay

i know exactly what you mean but why is there no record of the seller if you click on their user name on ebay [They are not on ebay, its not ebays web page].....it sends you to ebays 'find member/people' page.
and if you click on their feedback score it produces an error message.

how can the listing be on ebay if the member doesnt exist on the genuine ebay.[They are not on ebay, its not ebays web page]

Hi Pappa John

There is no record of the seller as there is no ebay seller, nor feedback for the seller. What the scammers have done is they have copied an ebay like looking page but on the sellers name, feedback and other pertinet links have them directed back to the original ebay web site to make it look like you are within th ebay functionality.

There will be a genuine ebay page to start off with with a real sellers name, but please note these accounts have been scammed. In other words there is a market in selling ebay accounts that have been hacked, leaving the orginal user and their valid feedback unable to access the account. This is where the ebay user has fallen foul in providing their ebay account details via some email scam

If ive not made myself clear please feel free to come back to me :thumb:

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
How to ruin it for ebay scammers??

Steve

Ok it wasnt me..but it did make me feel good that someone else noticed what was going on and made an attractive price for a motorhome (to make it scam attractive) look rediculous
:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back