Help Please - Ruined paintwork on new van with dry wash & wax (1 Viewer)

Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Hoping not done too much damage but we picked up the new van last week and wend away. With all the rain we had the van was filthy so picked up a bottle of dry wash n wax but now all the decal panels and black handles etc have got white streaks all over them.

Will a good wash get rid of them when I get time or is there something else I should try (polish etc.) Going to wax it with colonite following Charlies advice on here but want to get it clean and ready before applying. Going to bring it home at the weekend to clean it.

thanks

Michael

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I'm sure someone will be along with expert advice but I would rinse, rinse , rinse. Sponge and lots of clear water. Don't think that can do any harm and may stop it binding to surface.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I might be tempted to read the instruction (who reads them first) then if I have done everything correctly I might be tempted to contact the manufacturers of the product and ask for their advice as they should know the make up of the product you used.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MichaelT
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
I might be tempted to read the instruction (who reads them first) then if I have done everything correctly I might be tempted to contact the manufacturers of the product and ask for their advice as they should know the make up of the product you used.

Martin
I did and it did say do not apply to grilles etc but did not mention decals......

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Please don't take this the wrong g way but checking here before you did that would gave probably saved you a lot of grief. There is a detailing section on the forums and a couple of experts who will have posted advice or may be able to help you.
I would suggest in the meantime a proper wet wash and thorough rinse and to try and avoid leaving the van in bright sunlight until it's sorted
Good luck

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
@MichaelT I ruined the bonnet of my last van with it. I stuck to instructiions. @Viennese was witness to damage. I had the bonnet resprayed.

OP
OP
MichaelT
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Please don't take this the wrong g way but checking here before you did that would gave probably saved you a lot of grief. There is a detailing section on the forums and a couple of experts who will have posted advice or may be able to help you.
I would suggest in the meantime a proper wet wash and thorough rinse and to try and avoid leaving the van in bright sunlight until it's sorted
Good luck
Thanks yes in hindsight but it's not totally wrecked and I am sure it will come good. Sunshine that would be nice instead of floods we had today.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I did and it did say do not apply to grilles etc but did not mention decals......
Well done for reading the instructions(y) are the decals a textured finish or smooth vinyl. It will be the wax element of the product at a guess but I would still be tempted to contact the manufacturers if they have a customer services department.

Martin

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
You could also ask on one of the car detail forums

OP
OP
MichaelT
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Well done for reading the instructions(y) are the decals a textured finish or smooth vinyl. It will be the wax element of the product at a guess but I would still be tempted to contact the manufacturers if they have a customer services department.

Martin
textured/bubbly and yes I will call them once i get to the m/h to get the bottle out. I think its because they are a dark brown sort of colour.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Jus get sum ordinary car wash wash and rince well with sponge
Try it on a small area first
Don't think Ther will be to much of lasting damaged done
Bill

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
There is a van we could be interested in when the time comes to change and it had fake carbon fibre graphics, they are also textured and show mark quite badly, I asked the manufacturer about cleaning them and he said there was a special cleaner for them.
Still wouldn't have them though.

Martin

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I stopped using the dry-wash stuff after I managed to scratch the paint down to the undercoat twice, despite using clean cloths. Mind you, the paint on the back of the van does seem to be about 1 micron thick (thanks Fiat :mad:). Maybe I should have stuck to one of the bog-standard colours and not a fancy one :(

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
As others have said a good proper wash with a premium car shampoo and noodle mitt, dry with drying towel and cross your fingers.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I can only endorse what Mike has said above. Wash really well then if needed post some detailed pictures and we will advise as best we can.
Please bear in mind from my part I may not have internet for a wee while but will keep an eye out when I do.

OP
OP
MichaelT
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
OK so I gave it a good wash with a heavy dose of autoglym shampoo and that seemed to get rid of the majority the marks on the decals. I then git a small amount of vinyl and rubber cleaner on a cloth and wiped it over which seems to have worked. Not sure if this has cleaned it off or masked it but it looks good anyway. I reckon the decals must be vinyl and they are sort of ridged which is the problem I think.

Thanks for all your replies.

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Try and give them a wash with a strong fairy liquid mix it will get rid of the wax like a de greaser

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
OK so I gave it a good wash with a heavy dose of autoglym shampoo and that seemed to get rid of the majority the marks on the decals. I then git a small amount of vinyl and rubber cleaner on a cloth and wiped it over which seems to have worked. Not sure if this has cleaned it off or masked it but it looks good anyway. I reckon the decals must be vinyl and they are sort of ridged which is the problem I think.

Thanks for all your replies.

Please don't use fairy liquid it contains salts and aggressive ingredients which unless 100 percent are washed off are detrimental to any vehicle. Mixed strong it can inflict more damage. A strong mix of car shampoo is much better (y)

OP
OP
MichaelT
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Please don't use fairy liquid it contains salts and aggressive ingredients which unless 100 percent are washed off are detrimental to any vehicle. Mixed strong it can inflict more damage. A strong mix of car shampoo is much better (y)
Thanks Charlie that was my thoughts.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I wonder how many times Charlie and myself have to repeat warnings of not using fairy liquid, cif, traffic film remover etc before it sinks in that these things WILL damage your motorhome

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
@Charlie would star drops be too aggressive to use on a grp mh
I've been recommended it by an uncle
I've been using turtlewax car shampoo upto yet
Thanks

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Whats the best for cleaniing/polishing ABS plastic before waxing? Any ideas?
TIA
Cheers, Dave(y)

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Tried that, but the abs is too discoloured, I have tried a bit of T Cut which cleans it but too big an area to use for it all (front of caravan! )
Do farecle do a compound for abs??
Cheers, Dave(y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Tried that, but the abs is too discoloured, I have tried a bit of T Cut which cleans it but too big an area to use for it all (front of caravan! )
Cheers, Dave(y)
Again I would use a polishing compound like Farecla G3, try a small area first.

Martin

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Cheers, Dave(y)
ABS can be or take many forms. It's one of those materials I would have to see before even contemplating advice. Whatever you do you must start with a low cut polish and work up.

G3 is way to aggressive as a start point. Many do not even realise G3 is an AIO polish so the cutting level changes dramatically as you polish. This is extremely risky unless the person polishing knows the characteristics of the polish and how an AIO polish reacts.

Please do not use Tcut... It's old out of date full of ammonia and will bugger many surfaces on a motor home. It will contaminate GRP and other plastics and the remnants will be impossible to remove.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
ABS can be or take many forms. It's one of those materials I would have to see before even contemplating advice. Whatever you do you must start with a low cut polish and work up.

G3 is way to aggressive as a start point. Many do not even realise G3 is an AIO polish so the cutting level changes dramatically as you polish. This is extremely risky unless the person polishing knows the characteristics of the polish and how an AIO polish reacts.

Please do not use Tcut... It's old out of date full of ammonia and will bugger many surfaces on a motor home. It will contaminate GRP and other plastics and the remnants will be impossible to remove.
Can you give me advice on "low cut polishes, Charlie?
Thanks, Dave

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Can you give me advice on "low cut polishes, Charlie?
Thanks, Dave
Autoglym SRP is a very low cut polish. It is very low in cut but as I cant see exactly what you have its a good starting point.

The thing with polishing is its easy to get a polish that has to much cut and cause much grief.

You could if you are unlucky polish though paint but only if you picked up a really harsh polish or if the paint or whatever is soft. Same applies but in a different way to whatever you are restoring or polishing. The other possibility is inflicting dullness when a high cut polish with large cutting grains inflicts heavy swirling.

So try AG SRP as a start point. If its to mild in cut the result will be it just takes longer. If you do try it and it does work and it will then I will advise where to go next as a slightly more aggressive polish will speed up the process. But first you should start low.

Any chance you could show a picture ? It really would help !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back