Thanks

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Usually while I'm waiting at the Terminal.

HOWEVER, I haven't removed them since my last trip over the water in October and my MOT is booked for Friday. I wonder what Pete (my tester) will say?

Gordon

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am regularly baffled by the fitters of deflectors, presumably done to comply with the law and t avoid dazzling other drivers, but why then would the same people leave them on when back in the UK, breaking our law and potentially dazzling other drivers o_O

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

roamingman

Banned
Mar 14, 2014
Angus
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
2012, tents, caravan. 1990
Year's ago when driving HGV'S around Europe do not remember any truckers using beam deflecteds when you get to the port see how many HGV'S put them on and take them off

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I am regularly baffled by the fitters of deflectors, presumably done to comply with the law and t avoid dazzling other drivers, but why then would the same people leave them on when back in the UK, breaking our law and potentially dazzling other drivers o_O
David, the beam deflectors don't dazzle drivers over here. They take out a portion of the beam that lights our kerbs up, but over the water that bit dazzles oncoming drivers instead.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
OK Paul @Badknee I will give you the dazzle bit (y) and try to remember not to keep quoting the same mistruth, but the first bit still stands :)

Our lights dip to the left for a reason, driving without that facility must break some UK rule, so my comment about overt compliance to travel abroad and two fingers to the rules back home still stands

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I believe that it is courteous to blank off that portion of my headlights that would otherwise dazzle other road users when I drive my RHD vehicle abroad at night.

Those that don't and drive at night deserve to be stopped and fined! It is not only discourteous but dangerous as the dazzle remains even if you dip your lights!

Upvote 0

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
HOWEVER, I haven't removed them since my last trip over the water in October and my MOT is booked for Friday. I wonder what Pete (my tester) will say?

I never remove mine and have not had any issue with getting an MOT.

Upvote 0
Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
I don't think they deflect just block part of the beam I used silver tape for 8 months easy to get off

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
With the vote yesterday I wonder if monsieur plod will be more alert to those of us not complying?

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
With the vote yesterday I wonder if monsieur plod will be more alert to those of us not complying?

well, put it this way.. I may find out .. off to France tomorrow..

The last time I 'complied' was when I painted the headlights yellow in the early 70s .. it was easy to spot non-compliers in these days..

I think plod has more important things to worry about that checking headlights.. he will be busy checking you have a high viz vest for everyone, First aid kit, spare bulbs.. red warning triangle..

carried all of these for donkeys years and plod has never asked to see them.. famous last words.. :LOL:

EDIT
just remembered, we are getting a late ferry so will be driving when it's getting dark.. better to be safe than sorry ..

my Hymer has four small round glass Hella headlights, so have put black PVC tape on the dip headlights over the patterned part of the lens that deflects the beam to the left

hope that's the right place..

IMG_0293.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back