tomlowry07

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
spain
Funster No
MH
lowry
Exp
Just traded the 4 year old Yamaha 250 xmax for a Honda SH300i. Xmax ended up costing me £300 per year, not bad at all.
Lovely light bike weighing in at about 170kgs. Thats probably about 50 kg less than the xmax. It looks like a standard 125cc bike.The bike comes with keyless ignition, only one. So awaiting a quote for a spare. The key less thing works without a hitch and opening the seat and steering lock all work fine.
Suspension and balance feel pretty good, only real issue is wind at 80k and above. 40 euro givi fairing ordered. The bike is super quick, smooth and quiet and I would highly recommend it. Especially as it has ABS on both wheels.
Only issue now is getting it into the boot of the Hymer. 120 high does not go into 114 high. I spoke to a guy with same van and bike and he compresses front fork to get it into van. Not sure i want to have forks compressed all the time. I am considering putting a smaller wheel on the front just for Transport. Reckon I could change the wheel in less than 5 mins, so hopefully that will not be an issue. Hmmm Famous last words. Now where did i put that wheelbarrow ! Tom

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks Tom, I can't make up my mind between SH125 and 300.

Can't imagine compressing the forks a bit is much of a problem as you would to tie it down I guess.

Martin

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Not sure i want to have forks compressed all the time. I am considering putting a smaller wheel on the front just for Transport. Reckon I could change the wheel in less than 5 mins, so hopefully that will not be an issue. Hmmm Famous last words. Now where did i put that wheelbarrow ! Tom

Excellent thinking mate, I'd prefer to avoid leaving the forks compressed for lengthy periods too. Here's wishing you good health to enjoy your new purchase.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Oh no, you got yours before ours!! Now very jealous.

The 170kgs, is that with fuel and oil too or is that dry weight?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
There is hardly any weight difference between the 300 and the 125 which seems a bit odd to me.

Edit, need to go to Specsavers - there is 30kgs difference.
Thought it was closer to 40kg actually.

Martin

Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
Which Hymer do you have Tom? I'm considering a 698 with the bigger door to get my pushbike in without taking the wheels off

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Swapped my 650cc Versys for a SH300I so I notice the difference in weight when manhandling and when driving. Fantastic little bike ours has the Givi extending screen so comfy 2 up to about 80mph which it does easily. Currently in France used it today to visit Bordeaux about 16 miles away and did a scenic route to return excellent.
Do compress the front to load 2" to tall, not a big issue as I tie down anyway so don't see the difference.
Done about 400 miles on mine definitely recommend it.(y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
:rofl::rofl::rofl: sorry Martin.
It's OK it's actually 35 so we are both right(y) or wrong:cautious:.

Now the difference isn't as much I am swayed towards the 300, and @jonegood said get a 300 and he is always right.

Hopefully we still have enough room in the garage with the tandem and two mountain bikes as I won't want to leave any toys at home.

Martin

rrusty

Free Member
Dec 4, 2009
Scotland
Funster No
MH
None sold sept 2019
Exp
We have the PCX 125 and think it's brill but I am tempted with the 300 and have plenty payload (1500kg)
I only passed my test 4 years ago but in real time I have only used it a few months per year, so still a tad shaky at times going round slow corners and it don't help with the wife on the back window shopping, just trying to persuade the her on the merits of upgrading.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Agree the SH is a good bike but the reason I got the Aprilia and not the SH is the Aprilia is the biggest scooter I could get in the Arto garage ( same size as most hymers I think) and even then have to take the top cover off.

Dont think @funflair will have a problem though. not sure about @Armytwowheels

Jon

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Agree the SH is a good bike but the reason I got the Aprilia and not the SH is the Aprilia is the biggest scooter I could get in the Arto garage ( same size as most hymers I think) and even then have to take the top cover off.

Dont think @funflair will have a problem though. not sure about @Armytwowheels
It's not so much the size but the weight which is our problem. Any idea of the kerb weight for your bike Jon?
Jon

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
My Carthago garage is only 118cm high and my 300cc Vespa GTS "just" fits without compressing the forks. I do strap it down so the forks are compressed for travel so I don't see a big issue compressing forks to get your sh300 inside.

OP
OP
tomlowry07

tomlowry07

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
spain
Funster No
MH
lowry
Exp
Good news, tried putting it in the garage today. Took off wing mirrors and it went in no problem, no compressing required. even sits on side stand.

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
Keep reading SH300 stories and getting more and more dissatisfied with my Honda PES125 which I have loved for the last 6 years.

OP
OP
tomlowry07

tomlowry07

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
spain
Funster No
MH
lowry
Exp
See two posts above. It does fit. The mission is to get as powerful a bike with a respectable weight into the garage. I would have no hesitation taking a 280cc bike on a motorway, knowing I am not being a nuisance to other road users. Again a 30 mile trip on a 16 inched wheeled bike with a top speed of 140kms+ and ABS will not be an issue. I certainly would not do that on a 125cc, in fact, we used a yamaha 125cc bike before this in the van, and only place i would use it in the past was in a town. I did n`t mind paying premium for this bike as her indoors uses it every day to commute 30 miles. Otherwise it would have been quite hard to justify for me. Whilst road testing the bike I was so surprised by its motorbike style handling, I took both hands of handlebars at 120kms, and not a twitch. My 1200cc motorbike would be in the ditch if I tried that with its current tyres. Lol.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back