lpg or diesel,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,worth a look (1 Viewer)

do1977

Free Member
Oct 28, 2008
where i park up
Funster No
MH
A class rv
well this is a commonne for you all
i had a 6.2cc chevy diesel getting 16 mpg ( 4.5 litres in a gallon ) doing 65 to 70 mph i sold it and hve seen a lpg rv the same size
what do you think i would be better of getting as lpg is half price as diesel??????

and what should i get out of a 33ft rv on lpg??

do deiesl or lpg sell better or worth??

are diesels more reliable??

i have £ 10,000 to send can any one suggest any thing??

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i had a 6.2cc chevy diesel getting 16 mpg ( 4.5 litres in a gallon ) doing 65 to 70 mph i sold it and hve seen a lpg rv the same size
what do you think i would be better of getting as lpg is half price as diesel??????

depends on the engine size and the rv weight and more importantly how you drive it
but slightly less MPG than you would get on petrol but at half the cost.....:thumb:

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009

Juat a potential consideration, when i was looking for an RV I went for a diesel because Eurotunnel does not take LPG powered vehicles and the tunnel is the prefered method of channel crossing for us, only a consideration if you want to use them just thought I would mention

If this was not the case we would have gone for an LPG conversion as the diesel puller was noisy but then pushers are OK of course

(sadly the thing broke down a week after we got it and we then got rid of it but thats another story:cry:)

Good luck:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

do1977

Free Member
Oct 28, 2008
where i park up
Funster No
MH
A class rv
depends on the engine size and the rv weight and more importantly how you drive it
but slightly less MPG than you would get on petrol but at half the cost.....:thumb:
ok so if i drive both a diesl and lpg exactly the same way,ie 65-70 mph on motorways and sensibly through town , which would be the more ecnomical ? :Smile: thanks

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
problem with lpg is that in some places like norway and spain it is hard to find ...having said that I ran lpg for 25 years and found it quite a bit cheaper than diesel
but if you can find a proper diesel engine [ cummins/ cat / IH ] within your budget , go for that , personally I wouldn't have a converted petrol engine again [ ford/chevvy sort of thing ] and would go lpg again ...I had a renault like this and it was awful [ they put in thick liners and a different head ] , have had 2 friends with these diesels blow up in the last 18 months

but diesel is more popular and you should get a better price on a lpg conversion

RVHarvey

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Decades on and off
I've run a well-known make of RV on an LPG-converted petrol Ford V10 for 5 years
spending 8 months per year travelling 30,000 miles in 22 different countries.
The main advantages are:
Cheaper than petrol, obviously. Very roughly similar fuel cost to diesel. LPG prices are usually bumped up on motorways, especially in France.
Much quieter than puller diesel--you can converse with normal speech! (Petrol also).
Cleaner and less smelly than diesel.
Cheaper maintenance than diesel.Also engine internals and oil keep cleaner(even than petrol)
Main disadvantages are:
Less pulling power than diesel. It's embarassing when lorries thrash past you up hills!
Less availability of fuel. Sometimes nil as in Morocco. But occasionally every kilometer as in Poland. It is now easier to drive in Spain because there is always a fillup within a tank's range( I live there!). Sometimes you can travel quite large distances between stations in France and Germany. Diesel is available in all countries and you never need to plan your route to get it. And it is always cheaper than petrol except in UK! On the occasions when you have to buy petrol, it hurts! Overall, you are always concious of needing to plan fuel stops for LPG, and often going off-route.
Believe me, if you carry what you need for a few months, and tow a car, you will average about 8 mpg(petrol or LPG) at 55mph!!! At this speed, you conveniently travel with the lorries. If you travel at 65-70 mph, not only will you suck out fuel faster than you can replace it, but you will constantly be trying to dodge in and out to overtake lorries(which uses even more fuel). So, those who say they drive at these higher speeds and get good mpg, are deluding themselves(that's polite) or not very good at sums!

Having said all of the above, and allowing for the "disadvantages" of diesel, in the unlikely event that I changed my RV, I would go for diesel every time for convenience, and a pusher if I could afford it!!!

Hope any of this helps.

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
i get about 8mpg on lpg - 8.1l chevy engine, always towing fiat punto, drive 60mph on m'ways.

des

GEOFFs125

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
Salisbury, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
I have been running LPG for over three years now on my 7.4 litre V8 Chevrolet. Most of the time I am towing a large trailer and have averaged 7 mpg on LPG.

With no trailer I average 10 mpg on LPG and tarvel at around 60 mph with or with out the trailer. We have travelled through Europe on a number of occasions and the only problem we had finding LPG was in Switzerland.

As for the so called drop in power when running on LPG..............well if there is one I have never noticed it.

If I was choosing my next RV and I had enough funds I would go for diesel first as its more freely available, but if the right RV was only available in LPG then I would not hesitate.

Its a difficult one to call.

Geoff

OP
OP
D

do1977

Free Member
Oct 28, 2008
where i park up
Funster No
MH
A class rv
so do you all use lpg all the time??
as i was told it can mess up the engine

the thingis i cat diesel for the same price i can get newer rv on lpg for the same money

but i make myon bio-diesel

ggggrrrrrrrr

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
get a 7.5ton truck convert it. you could be looking at quite a newish one well 2001/2 possibly newer .best not go too new stay on no computer control diesel. average 15/20 mpg try daf ,man ,merc isuzu,mitsubushi. could build a nice stealth truck . you know it makes sense. cheers alan.

OP
OP
D

do1977

Free Member
Oct 28, 2008
where i park up
Funster No
MH
A class rv
get a 7.5ton truck convert it. you could be looking at quite a newish one well 2001/2 possibly newer .best not go too new stay on no computer control diesel. average 15/20 mpg try daf ,man ,merc isuzu,mitsubushi. could build a nice stealth truck . you know it makes sense. cheers alan.

i was thinking that bute resale i ould loos a lot of cash

would be best to hae a garagei the back and cut though in to the cab

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if you only start with 10 grand ,spend 3-4 on truck 6 in conversion.you could make money .if you do it properly. garage yes.cut into cab ,possible ,dont work with mine. ha ha. very popular abroad. lots german companies building individual trucks for customers. always behind here. smll windows better for hot/cold weather good insulation. dont go too big 20ft box will let you get just about anywhere. stay 7ft6 wide if poss. dont get a too high box . even small drop well at back for m,bikes. speak to the motocross lads in your area full of ideas .

OP
OP
D

do1977

Free Member
Oct 28, 2008
where i park up
Funster No
MH
A class rv
there is 3 trucks i could get a luton or a box lorry or a box lorry and get the over cab to tilt
i think glp body is best

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
??

just realised something.....

at those speeds you are breaking the speed limit for your RV by 5 to 10 mph on a motorway and 15 to 20mph on A roads:Eeek:

over 3500kg its...........
50mph on A roads and
60mph on dual carraigeways and motorways.

and using around 30% more fuel than doing 50mph.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hey pappa where you getting your info from ... upto 7.5 ton =70 motor way 60 duall carriage way 50 on a roads. even so its a bit quick anyway. cheers alan.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back