Free Member
Mar 18, 2015
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
8years
Oh dear, about eighteen months ago, we bought a new Autotrail Dakota. We'd spent some time looking at all available options, and we went for the Autotrail, glad to get rid of our Bessecar, which the dealer found, had severe damp problems. For us, it was the right choice, and we love it. A few months ago, an eye test revealed an eye problem, which has cost me my C1 entitlement on my application for a new licence at the age of seventy. We are now looking at availability of Motorhomes under 3.5 tons, and again looking through the various manufacturers. Why don't manufactures or dealers show the MAM in a more obvious way? Of course, the dealers are offering a poor trade in value, on a very saleable vehicle. Any advice on selling privately would be appreciated, please.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We sold our 1 year old Bessie quickly and easily on EBay. Now is a great time to sell - so no time to lose
Best of luck

Reactions: f6c
Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
No one will buy if f they don't know about it. Advertise it on Motorhome fun, Ebay, Gumtree and Pre loved plus any other sites you can find. Like MMM. Don't forget little picture ads in the local Co-OP, the man you are looking for may just be round the corner. Don't be afraid to spend a couple of hundred Quid on advertising. Its a big saving on selling to the trade.
Most people advertise at more than they want in order to be able to accept offers. This nominally makes it look expensive, I go the other way and advertise it at the most realistic price possible, This will increase the number of people who may be interested. Most of us overvalue our pride and joy, don't!! Research the market to get an accurate trade price, (Ring the dealers and ask what they will give you) Sit down with a large brandy before you do this. Then check out the retail asking prices (use e bay and Dealer ads) you should end up with two figures approximately 20% apart. Pitch your price somewhere in the middle. Don't forget to spread the word. Tell every one you come in contact with your MH is up for sale. It is surprising what word of mouth can do. Finally clean it as if your life depended on it, or get it Valeted. No good going to all that trouble to get people to come and see it and then presenting it badly.
Best of luck for a quick sale at a realistic price. Finally, if there are only two of you, have you investigated having the vehicle down rated to 3.5 tons, your payload might realistically allow you to do this and it only costs £140-00 the last time I checked. I am a lot older than you, all but geriatric and that's what I intend to do when the time comes

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Finally, if there are only two of you, have you investigated having the vehicle down rated to 3.5 tons, your payload might realistically allow you to do this and it only costs £140-00 the last time I checked. I am a lot older than you, all but geriatric and that's what I intend to do when the time comes

That would be worth investigating........ thanks for the idea.

OP
OP
M

Mike24150

Free Member
Mar 18, 2015
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
8years
Thanks for the suggestions an information. I'm looking at a couple of options at the moment. Whilst the replating sounds tempting, I'm not sure I can get the change from 4.2 to 3.5 tons in reality. I spend a great deal of time in France, and most Motorhomes ther are plated at 3.5 tons, but when you see scooters back boxes and roof boxes lashed to them, it seems that on the continent it's regarded with scant disregard. How typically French!

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I sold my motorhome with Motorhomedepot they did all the advertising and everything I just agreed a price I would accept

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
REF THE DOWNPLATING... (Based on a 2014/15 model as OP said it was 18 months old)

Dakota is 4250 max / gross weight..
It's MIRO is 3525kg !!!! So unless anyone wants to run it empty, carry no passengers and may take off a few parts I dont think thats an option..

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
I attempted to sell my motorhome with Motorhome Agent. I asked them to suggest a price. They said they would definitely get back to me "tomorrow". I waited in for their call. I never heard from them again. This is not the behaviour of a professional outfit.

OP
OP
M

Mike24150

Free Member
Mar 18, 2015
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
8years
Thanks for the replies, and suggestions. I need to make sure of my typing though. I mentioned that I'd had an offer of 48k from a dealer trying to shift a last years model, but it was in fact 46k. It seems to be quite a good offer. Hmmm

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I attempted to sell my motorhome with Motorhome Agent. I asked them to suggest a price. They said they would definitely get back to me "tomorrow". I waited in for their call. I never heard from them again. This is not the behaviour of a professional outfit.
I did the same and mentioned it on here, next day I got a call from them, maybe there a funster

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
to 3.5 tons, your payload might realistically allow you to do this and it only costs £140-00 the last time I checked

That would be worth investigating........ thanks for the idea.

If, and it's a very big if, the MIRO weight of the van permits it, it costs nothing to downrate the maximum weight. All you have to do is fill in the new weight on the V5 and send it to Swansea. The only cost would be the extra VED dropping from PHGV back into PLG.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back