Digital TV on the Cheap (1 Viewer)

Edgie

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Being a bit of a cheapskate when it comes to TV in the RV (rarely watch it) I have a 15" Matsui flatscreen with built in DVD and Digital.

My existing indoor aerial no longer picks up any digital signal in the Westcountry as digital switchover has already happened, so I need a Sat Dish, only thing is I want one that I can bolt to a mast on my rear ladder, and feed a cable when I occasionaly use the TV... not interested in expensive sat dishes or ones that require a hole in my roof....

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks

Edgie :thumb:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings Edgie,

If your televion is already a digital receiver, why dont you just buy an outside arial and put it as you were suggesting re a satellite dish (or better on the side of your outfit near to where you watch the set.
You can then put the aerial lead through a convenient window and plug it into the back of the set.
This would be far cheaper than investing in a sat dish.

By the way, your digital tv will also, when in foreign countries, pick up their signals. Once upon a time the various countries had different v receivers but with the advent of Digital TV no longer. We are all singing off the same hymn sheet.
All right, you won't understand their soaps but you will understand the wether forecasts.:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Being a bit of a cheapskate when it comes to TV in the RV (rarely watch it) I have a 15" Matsui flatscreen with built in DVD and Digital.

My existing indoor aerial no longer picks up any digital signal in the West country as digital switchover has already happened, so I need a Sat Dish, only thing is I want one that I can bolt to a mast on my rear ladder, and feed a cable when I occasionally use the TV... not interested in expensive sat dishes or ones that require a hole in my roof....

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks

you are one confused cookie, with the digital switchover you can ONLY get a digital signal in the west county. If your set was analogue then get a digi box around £10, job done failing that get a proper ant that is suitable for a digital signal around £20 including a pre amp from Ebay, No sat dish needed.
Any Sat dish is directional so just bolting to the rear ladder wont work unless you are prepared to drive in circles looking for a signal. A terrestrial ant will do the job with a digibox if you have an analogue TV or without if you have a digital TV, have you actually set it to scan for digital signals, (you will need to do so at every location).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

My existing indoor aerial no longer picks up any digital signal in the Westcountry as digital switchover has already happened, so I need a Sat Dish, only thing is I want one that I can bolt to a mast on my rear ladder, and feed a cable when I occasionaly use the TV... not interested in expensive sat dishes or ones that require a hole in my roof....

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks

sounds like your aerial isnt digital compatable for the true digital signal now being transmitted in your area.
just buy a compatable aerial, stick it on a pole and fix it to your ladder but you will need to retune the tv every time you move to a different site..

if you want a sat dish you will also need a sat receiver as that bit isnt in your tv unlike the digital terrestrial receiver which is.
you dont need to retune with a dish, just point it at the satellite and thats it.

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
any good for you Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Just got back from 2 weeks at Newquay, found that our cheap (couple a quid a few years ago) aerial would pick up the digital TV through a set top box we had given us. I was getting a signal strength of 84% with the aerial just stuck on the shelf over the cab, putting it on the roof didn't give me any extra. A couple parked next to us had problems getting their TV tuned in. I helped them out & with his expensive camping aerial fixed to his ladder rack I could only get about 75% signal strength using my set top box to get his aerial pointing the right way before I got his tv to scan for the channels.
I was considering a new aerial for home as our digital signal sometimes breaks up, talking to a guy at Maplins he said if I am getting any sort of signal now then when we switch over to digital later in the year then I should be fine as the digital will be boosted when they turn the analouge off which they can't do at the moment as one interferes with the other.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back