maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
One of the windows on our van has developed a crack. We are going to get a replacement window from Eeco near Halifax but as we full time in the van we are going to deliver and collect it from them ourselves, rather than send it in the post.
We will tie this in with a few weeks in the Yorkshire Dales and County Durham, but the trip up to Halifax will necessitate about 4 hours of motorway driving.

To get to the point, we plan to board up the hole where the window was with plywood on battens but I am a bit wary of driving at sustained motorway speeds with this arrangement - especially as the van has slightly curved sides so the plywood will not be a completely flush fit.

What do you reckon? Is it safe to drive the van like this or not? Any opinions gratefully received. :)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I'd try strong polythene sheet and gaffer tape..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
You may find that EECO can let you keep the existing window after measuring.

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
duck or gaffer tape would be my choice. assuming the window is there.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi cut 2 bits of 2 x 1 ins 4/6 ins longer than the window -place inside and screw through the ply so that it squashes the ply to the 2 x 1 on the inside or as already suggested poly and gaffer tape ;)(y)
terry

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
You may find that EECO can let you keep the existing window after measuring.
That would be great but it's a curved frameless window so I think it will be needed for them to create a moulding for the new window. Have been told that the process will take 2 to 3 weeks .......

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Thanks everyone for your replies.

No, the window will not still be in place - it will be left with Eeco. At the moment we have sealed the crack with tape, which stops any moisture getting in. However, once the window is out we need a secure way to block off the window hole for a few weeks. It would be too easy for someone to just cut through polythene sheet.

So, plywood on battens as Terry says is the way we are planning to do it. But it's the fact that the van has curved sides that is making me a bit twitchy about driving at speed with the plywood in place. Can't find a photo to illustrate the van sides, but they bow out slightly in the middle from top to bottom - think traditional gypsy caravan but on a less exaggerated scale. It's a Hobby Toskana 750.

We're thinking of using rubber draughtproofing strip around the edges of the plywood to try to fill the gaps where it will not be flush with the window hole. But will that be enough to stop the plywood trying to lift off at motorway speeds?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Might be silly suggestion as I can't imagine window ... if you place board over it INSIDE would it not be better? I used a flat piece of thin lightweight metal.. ok no light but from outside looked secure to keep would be thieves away.

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
I know the contour of the hobby, externally some thin ply wrapped in cling film with 2/3 battens inside will bend the thin ply just fine.
Maybe some foam draught excluder on the inside of the ply.
It will be more secure than the original window.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Post #10 is the way to go , 3mm or 5mm ply BOLTED THRO TO 50X25 BATTENS not screwed BOLTED ! nuts on the inside

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I know the contour of the hobby, externally some thin ply wrapped in cling film with 2/3 battens inside will bend the thin ply just fine.
Maybe some foam draught excluder on the inside of the ply.
It will be more secure than the original window.
Thank you for that. Feel a bit happier about driving with it like that now. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back