Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I am a newbie
Newbie, The end bracket that holds one end of the awning to the MH is loose at one end, it still seems secure overall but I'm concerned, can it be reattached, if so how?

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Details of your motorhome and awning, preferably with pictures may help someone to advise you better ... most cases the awning brackets are bolted through the shell of the m/h and then the awning is bolted on to the brackets. Depending on the length of awning you may have between 2 and 4 fixing brackets.

If you look closely you should see if a bolt is loose or even missing but should be easy to fix.

The bolt fixing inside the m/h may have a plastic cover which should be easy to remove if necessary.

OP
OP
JanGar

JanGar

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I am a newbie
IMG_3503.jpg
Sorry forgot photos, it is about 3.5m long, Thule Ormistor awning.
IMG_3504.jpg
IMG_3503.jpgIMG_3504.jpgIMG_3510.jpg
IMG_3510.jpg
IMG_3503.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would try to secure it and drive slowly to the nearest dealer probably get them to either secure it or remove it until it can be fixed properly looks like the next bracket is half off must have either had excessive force on it or never properly fitted or secured to damp timber Im not an expert but looks to me to be fitted too high.

OP
OP
JanGar

JanGar

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I am a newbie
I would try to secure it and drive slowly to the nearest dealer probably get them to either secure it or remove it until it can be fixed properly looks like the next bracket is half off must have either had excessive force on it or never properly fitted or secured to damp timber Im not an expert but looks to me to be fitted too high.
Thanks, Hopefully get it checked properly tomorrow.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Looks like it's fitted with coach screws and not bolted right through I would suggest it's poorly fitted and needs doing with bolts?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No wonder it came off....some clown has fitted it using #8 wood screws.
Chances are its also got damp in the wall, or timber baton if it has one, and I doubt that it will refix securely without proper bolts right through the wall.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
It looks to me like some moron has screwed it directly to the side of your van without using the correct brackets.
Definitely has to be removed before it falls off .. then any repairs made and damp checked before re-fitting with proper brackets and s/s bolts through and reinforced inside.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Best have a hab check as well to make sure the wall isn't damp........sorry if its your first post not a great start hope things get better!!

?

Deleted User
Looks like it's fitted with coach screws and not bolted right through I would suggest it's poorly fitted and needs doing with bolts?

^^ That. If you DIY just make sure you get a good sealant round the new holes and no doubt the holes that the cowboys made as sure as hell you will soon be getting water in. Saying that every time we look over the firth to fife its always bloody sunny. :(

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Definitely worth asking him to look at it or hopefully fix it, there is a pretty good chance he did not know, unless it was obviously loose when you bought it, then he needs to sort it

Good luck, I also fear you have a damp van

If the seller is a long way from you it might be worth getting it looked at locally, we might be putting the fear of wat not in you for no reason, but it really needs checking, I would take it right off before driving it anywhere, the fixing screws should be fairly obvious, the awning will lift off the bracket those screws are trying to hold on (y)

OP
OP
JanGar

JanGar

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I am a newbie
Best have a hab check as well to make sure the wall isn't damp........sorry if its your first post not a great start hope things get better!!
Trying to organise one just now, everyone is busy!!

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Usually no need to open awning unless bolted through ,which seems unlikely from the pic's
At the bottom of the brackets you should see Phillips screws or similar. Undo those and it should lift off.
Two man job definitely.

OP
OP
JanGar

JanGar

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I am a newbie
Thanks everyone for your help. My plan is to get a habitation check done and if its just needing relatively small repair thats fine but if damp etc Ill try returning the vehicle. Just checked and you have to register as a trader to get trade plates, so that gives me some protection, although I'm not holding my breath.

OP
OP
JanGar

JanGar

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I am a newbie
Update, Its going in, tomorrow, to get the awning fixed properly or removed until they can do it. Then in July they will do a habitation certificate for it. Stressful!!!

OP
OP
JanGar

JanGar

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I am a newbie
Update:

Today the awning was removed, looks like it wasn't secured properly to start with. Mainly see-tapping screws and only 2 coach bolts. I have cleaned around the screw holes and covered them up with duck tape. This should be ok just now until we get some dry weather then Ill maybe look at putting screws in with some silicone sealant. Don't know if or the extent of any damp, will have to wait till I can organise a damp or habitation test.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Have you had s look on the inside ,where if the proper bolts were use ,to see A if there is any staining ,and B if anything would be in the way to put the inner plate and nuts .maybe why the coach srcews were (wrongly) used in the first place.
When I used to fit them as well as bolting though ,would also seal holes and inside face of brackets with sikaflex they don't move then.
Hope you get it sorted (y)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Sorry to be nosey, has it gone to your local dealer or the place that sold it to you?

If the seller is still not aware, rather than wait I would get hold of a damp meter, they are not overly expensive, you need to know now really (y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Just to offer some hope :) - if the awning has been screwed to the aluminium, with no wood behind it, there'll just be foam behind the screw holes. Foam will not absorb water (it's closed cell foam) so there's every chance damp has not penetrated the shell. I've seen some rubbish work on MHs but that awning takes the biscuit - it's the sort of job you get when it's been fitted in a field at a show.

From what I can see the awning appears to be attached directly to the MH - hence all the goo visible behind it. The correct method is to fit 3 or more brackets to the MH. These brackets are supplied with the awning and are attached by stainless coach screws that pass through the wall, through small spreader plates on the inside, and into Nyloc nuts. As Dave Newell has indicated the brackets are normally bedded onto Sikaflex PU adhesive which stops water following the coach bolts into the MH and adds considerable strength to the attachment. The awning itself has a shaped rear section that fits into the brackets. Once in it is held firmly simply by the rear section shape that interlocks with a corresponding shape on each bracket. A couple of stainless steel screws prevent it from moving at all. Once attached in this manner it can be removed and replaced without affecting the brackets which remain attached to the van. Lifting one of these awnings on or off needs two people each on a step ladder.

I have experience of similar incompetence - but mine was held on with 'pop' rivets ............. Removed and replaced correctly it will be OK and any damage caused by the screw holes can be sealed and hidden behind it. I'd research awning fitment via the internet before you approach your dealer so you are able to say exactly what you want. There's no reason to assume a dealer is competent to fit or repair anything - that needs a workshop with trained staff.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back