Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Auctioneer's Estimate = Politician's Promise = Always treat with extreme caution.

Nevertheless it is an early Samba Splitty and they are Holy Grail to VeeDub followers. One has to wonder how much of it is original as opposed to refurbished. I somehow doubt we'll see it being driven around. More likely sealed in polythene and stored in some millionaire's garage :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
They were not much good as a camper when new. Unlike some wines I dont suppose they have improved much with age.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Memories, memories, memories.
We had one of those that had been converted to a camper, bed, cupboards, sink and two ring cooker when we lived in Zambia.
Took it to Malawi and burnt out the clutch, found a local garage to fix it. All the manuals say how carefully you must remove the engine so as not to damage the spigot. Watched the two africans do it their way. Remove bits and pieces then all the fixing bolts, the engine was just held on the dowels. They placed a large tyre under the engine and give the engine a big pull, it came off, dropped down and bounce gently on the tyre. They soon had the clutch replaced and everything back together. 6volt electrics BTW.

Good old carefree days !

OP
OP
AIBinsurance

AIBinsurance

Funster
Mar 13, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
All sorts
Exp
Auctioneer's Estimate = Politician's Promise = Always treat with extreme caution.

Nevertheless it is an early Samba Splitty and they are Holy Grail to VeeDub followers. One has to wonder how much of it is original as opposed to refurbished. I somehow doubt we'll see it being driven around. More likely sealed in polythene and stored in some millionaire's garage :)

Sadly, I suspect you are right!

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Memories of my honeymoon in a VW van in California....... Memories mostly of garages being fixed or filled (20 mpg??) and hideously cold in the Sierra Nevada with no heating above the snow line. Now, if you paid me £120k I might consider one; otherwise, not a chance!

Oh yes, I found this:-

Link Removed

Last edited:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Is the £120,000 how much it would be to get a normal split screen VW onto the road, having treated the corrosion etc? I have some friends that had their heart set on one and despite the warnings, went ahead and bought one. It cost them a fortune to repair and they sold it a few years later as they couldn't cope with the stress of (edited to: not) knowing whether they would actually get to their campsite or break down on the way.

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

Better that than being driven around by some arrogant git complete with surfboard and singlet with more money than sense. Would only ruin it.

They were not much good as a camper when new. Unlike some wines I dont suppose they have improved much with age.

Driven one. Truly awful........

Is the £120,000 how much it would be to get a normal split screen VW onto the road, having treated the corrosion etc? I have some friends that had their heart set on one and despite the warnings, went ahead and bought one. It cost them a fortune to repair and they sold it a few years later as they couldn't cope with the stress of knowing whether they would actually get to their campsite or break down on the way.

Good point..........

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Me thinks what I'm about to say might be sacrilege to some, but I've never seen the attraction of these vehicles. That horrendous spitting noisy gutless air cooled lump farting away in the background just doesn't do it for me. Wasn't a fan of its cousins the Beetle & Porsche 911 either. I can remember our shopping being delivered by the local store in a split screen microbus which was brand new then & even as a car mad child I hated it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back