Tired (or maybe "tyred") of skating... (2 Viewers)

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
My van tyres were gripping the road like greased ballbearings today In the wet. Looking at the dates on the tyres I see they were made in 2008 so overdue for replacement although still a good bit of tread left.

The existing ones are Continental Vanco camping tyres and I fancy a change. Michelin Agilis camping tyres seem to be one recommended brand. Any others I should be getting quotes for?

They're 215/75 R16.

Tim

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Take a look at Hankook tyres.. The difference in grip level and noise levels is little short of amazing !

Jun 17, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
July 2015 plus 20 years of camping
I found the same with moving to Agilis from Continental. Quieter and with more grip. Not sure if that is due to the change in manufacturer or just the newer rubber.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Continental Vanco Fourseasons will give you a bit better grip in the snow and quite possibly mud and damp grass.

Martin

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you switch to Michelin and follow the recommended air pressure figure you'll probably find the ride much harsher. Continental give very precise guidance based on axle weight and in most cases this will mean a much lower pressure than the standard Michelin 80psi in all circumstances. :)

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If you switch to Michelin and follow the recommended air pressure figure you'll probably find the ride much harsher. Continental give very precise guidance based on axle weight and in most cases this will mean a much lower pressure than the standard Michelin 80psi in all circumstances. :)

Not sure what you mean by "standard" pressure in a motorhome tyre. It should always be related to load surely?

Anyhow, going to try the Michelin tyres on the basis that *any* new tyre has got to be better than my 8 year old ones for grip. They really are appalling in the wet. Wheelspin in third going up hills.

I did look at Hankooks but as far as I can make out they don't do a camping tyre. Not a problem I dare say if you're a high mileage camper but I suspect age may be a bigger problem than wear for our van tyres.

Thanks for the feedback though.

Tim

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Not sure what you mean by "standard" pressure in a motorhome tyre. It should always be related to load surely?

Anyhow, going to try the Michelin tyres on the basis that *any* new tyre has got to be better than my 8 year old ones for grip. They really are appalling in the wet. Wheelspin in third going up hills.

I did look at Hankooks but as far as I can make out they don't do a camping tyre. Not a problem I dare say if you're a high mileage camper but I suspect age may be a bigger problem than wear for our van tyres.

Thanks for the feedback though.

Tim
The point I was making is you would think pressure would be related to load but manufacturers seem to vary. Someone I know recently asked Pirelli but they just said use whatever your vehicle handbook suggests. Michelin, from what I've read on here are not much better but Continental seem to stand out and give a precise figures based on measured axle loads.

And I don't think camper tyres will last longer than ordinary tyres and in a test in Germany Hankook came out as their best buy. Somewhere on the forum there is a link to the article. Camper tyres have extra reinforcing and are designed for heavy loadings but aren't necessarily essential for every vehicle, I think only the heavier vehicles would benefit. They wouldn't be my choice for my 3.5t PVC with 16" wheels.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
when I phoned Michelin I only gave them the base vehicle (Renault master) and axel loadings, tyre size and tyre load index, they then gave me the pressures I needed,
I made no mention of it being a motorhome,
perhaps Michelin know that the majority of Motorhomes are fully laden and dare I say it! some overladen, :) so to cover their arse they tell you to use the maximum pressures allowed for the tyre size you are asking for, just a thought,

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
The point I was making is you would think pressure would be related to load but manufacturers seem to vary. Someone I know recently asked Pirelli but they just said use whatever your vehicle handbook suggests. Michelin, from what I've read on here are not much better but Continental seem to stand out and give a precise figures based on measured axle loads.

And I don't think camper tyres will last longer than ordinary tyres and in a test in Germany Hankook came out as their best buy. Somewhere on the forum there is a link to the article. Camper tyres have extra reinforcing and are designed for heavy loadings but aren't necessarily essential for every vehicle, I think only the heavier vehicles would benefit. They wouldn't be my choice for my 3.5t PVC with 16" wheels.

In our van the water tank is behind the rear axle and the overall CofG is quite high, both factors that would seem to make tyres with a stiffer than normal sidewall desirable (at least according to camping tyre manufactures).

It sounds sensible enough to me and I doubt I'll ever be buying enough tyres for my van to find out for myself which is best.

Last edited:
OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

No problem with ride or noise. Have to wait for rain to assess grip. ;-)

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Take a look at Hankook tyres.. The difference in grip level and noise levels is little short of amazing !

Didn't get any significant tyre noise with the old Vanco tyres and certainly no more with the new Michelin tyres. Have to wait for the rain to assess wet grip.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We've had Agilis camper on our 4250kg Exsis and done over 6000miles on them found wet grip is very good and as said noise levels ok but I do run the rears on 5bar and front 4.5b seems to be about right for us even though Michelin advise 80psi

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We've had Agilis camper on our 4250kg Exsis and done over 6000miles on them found wet grip is very good and as said noise levels ok but I do run the rears on 5bar and front 4.5b seems to be about right for us even though Michelin advise 80psi

80psi seems to be the max pressure quoted on the sidewall rather than the pressure appropriate to load. It makes no sense to run all Agilis tyres on all campers at 80psi.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
gt maxmilers for me . 10pr 116/114
inflate to 70psi and i find it runs quiet ,got good grip. and seem to wear ok.
had them for two winter trips abroad and am very pleased with them . payed 75 quid each fitted at hi/q tyres local to me . would certainly buy them again .that was inc vat as well.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
80psi seems to be the max pressure quoted on the sidewall rather than the pressure appropriate to load. It makes no sense to run all Agilis tyres on all campers at 80psi.
Quite agree I think it's best to do a bit trial and error and choose the pressures that are best for your vehicle

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Changed from Vanco to Michelin last year and a huge improvement in grip especially on wet grass, much quieter too. I run 60 in the front and 70 in the back just because there was so much discussion here that it became a quagmire.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back