Hook up point disaster (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I went to move my van as brother wanted to get his car off the drive, anyway we were on hook up so checked the cable had plenty of slack in it (at least 3m) so proceeded to reverse up the drive. Unbeknown to me brother got in car and reversed with me up the drive, he drove over the cable whilst I was reversing and you guessed it...

I pulled the cable out of the van hook up point breaking it DOH ! I ordered a new one but didn't realise there are different sizes DOH !! (again)

so ordered another hopefully the correct size.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
all part of life's learning curve.....when something can go wrong it normally does and at the most inconvenient time in most cases

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ohhhh GAWD! why am I laughing? been there, got the T Shirt:doh:

OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
ha ha when you do something stupid, you're never alone !! wen just have to learn from it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
another good reason to have wifi hook up :D

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
so ordered another hopefully the correct size.

Just take the living remains into any electrical wholesaler. They're nothing cute or fancy, just standard "commando" plugs and sockets. Approx £2.50 - £3 for an inline socket (goes on the lead) and £3.50-£5 for the MH mounted plug.
I would recommend changing both, as chances are you'll have bent the connectors in both parts ;)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
So maybe it was one of you whom we saw driving out of the Hendre Mynach campsite at Barmouth trailing 10 metres of still connected hookup cable behind your vehicle?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just take the living remains into any electrical wholesaler. They're nothing cute or fancy, just standard "commando" plugs and sockets. Approx £2.50 - £3 for an inline socket (goes on the lead) and £3.50-£5 for the MH mounted plug.
I would recommend changing both, as chances are you'll have bent the connectors in both parts ;)

Good advice to change both plug and socket.. however, there are several different styles. of van sockets.. which you are unlikely to find in a electrical wholesaler...

I would also suggest buying a new cable, as it may well have been damaged internally.. next thing you know it's tripping the site ELCB ..

This happened to mine on an aire.. run over and damaged the insulation.. scrap ..

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I'm reminded of parking overnight not so long ago at a showground for a weekend antiques fair and waking to find some knobhead had parked with their car's front wheel on top my EHU cable, which was already at full stretch to reach the hook up point. A brief but to the point note on the windscreen helped solve the problem.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Sorting out this problem is simple with the right approach. Anyone know where I can get a 25km hookup cable? :D

Seriously, though, if you cut off the damaged section of cable and buy a blue 3-pin socket, (16A not 32A!) you can make a short hookup of maybe 10 metres. I find this is OK for 80% of pitches, and is easier to use. I also have a 25m one, just in case.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back