andycotterell

Free Member
Apr 13, 2009
Europe-wide
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
This item is clearly dodgy and there's something wrong with the links on the page - looks like it's all been faked somehow.

HYMER STARLINE 640 3 BERTH Campervan MOTORHOME MERCEDES on eBay (end time 29-Sep-09 14:14:02 BST)

Last edited by a moderator:

tony645

Free Member
Sep 25, 2009
Funster No
just tried to view it on ebay and my anti virus kicked in straight away to block it, beware!

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Our internet security flagged it as a danger!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Something well dodgey, my AV blocks it and puts up a massive warning about phishing

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Loads of scams like this on ebay.
Usually on vehicles and they price them at a clearly ridiculous price. Someone thinks it's the deal of a lifetime and so follows the instruction to contact the seller outside of ebay.
The person makes up some story but what they want is the same.......you to pay for the vehicle outside of ebay via western union or another similar outfit.
End result, they make loads of money, you lose loads of money and absolutely no way on earth that they will be traced. A lot of it is done from outside of the EU even!!

If it's too good to be true then it probably is.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just checked it on gov.uk website using the reg in the photo's.

VEHICLE ENQUIRY Services Provided By DVLA: Link Removed Vehicle details could not be found

As it has not been possible to locate the vehicle details, your enquiry cannot proceed and has been cancelled.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
BUT.....the seller 'seems' genuine....

Meet the sellerSeller:
s.gif
s.gif
granniesbazaar
s.gif
( 560
iconPurpleStar_25x25.gif
)
Feedback:99.5% PositiveMember:since Apr-09-04 in United Kingdom

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Well, I read this thread, looked at the ebay advert and recognised the sign behind this motorhome , I know the guy who owns the garage in this photo. I’ll contact him and see if he’s aware of this ebay advert. :Eeek:

Here is the same vehicle advertised on their web site
Link Removed

Link Removed

if you go to ebay.co.uk and enter the item number of this motorhome (200388149622) , nothing is returned...maybe it is a scam

cheers people, I have mailed my mate the garage owner

N&K

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Never ever bid on a unit where the seller requires payment by Western Union.....

All the other advice is sound.Do all your homework first and never bid blind without a getout clause.

We had a Guy who said he had just moved to Holland to work and the van was now there but he was prepared to ship.

Nothing checked out so we contacted the Dutch Police.Turned out it was traced to a school....

Looked very genuine though.....:RollEyes:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Well, I read this thread, looked at the ebay advert and recognised the sign behind this motorhome , I know the guy who owns the garage in this photo. I’ll contact him and see if he’s aware of this ebay advert. :Eeek:

Here is the same vehicle advertised on their web site
Link Removed

Link Removed

if you go to ebay.co.uk and enter the item number of this motorhome (200388149622) , nothing is returned...maybe it is a scam

cheers people, I have mailed my mate the garage owner

N&K

and its the very same photos except for the ones of the documents and the speedo.:Eeek:

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
and its the very same photos except for the ones of the documents and the speedo.:Eeek:

I have emailed him, I'll give him a buzz tomorrow, I'll keep you posted. :thumb: thanks again

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Re ebay

I lost an auction on a blackberry phone last week. only to be contacted shortly after by the seller saying they had been the victims of a fraud attempt & would i be interested in a second chance offer.

The seller went on to explain.... the winner had asked for the phone to be sent to NIGERIA and they then received messages from pay pal (FAKE) saying the money was in her account. also messages from ebay ( FAKE) saying to send goods or she would be barred from ebay etc......

She checked with ebay/paypal and found out that no monies had been sent.

So it pays to be careful on ebay it is truly shark infested waters and you need your wits about you:winky:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Has anyone flagged this up with flebay?

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
I have removed the OP's link as it directed clickers to ebay-motors.eu which may be a scam site and not a real ebay site at all.

That would explain the spyware/virus warnings and why the real ebay sites do not have the item.

Regards

Bryan
Administrator

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I have sent the link to e-bays fraud dept, As it is clearly not e-bay I am not sure they will be able to do anything

Andy 01424

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
0 but lived in static for 2yrs
Theres also another nice little con get a friend to bid,wacks in a bid you bid a few times leave it ,because you have gone to wht you will pay ,lo behold you get 2nd chanced on it :thumb:

Another thing on any bid i win even though they say deposit in 24hrs ,its upto you just contact the seller say i will be over on that day ,you risk losing it if its a fake or scam,i see loads for RV's/Cars etc £200- £500 deposit in 24hrs ,uhmm dont think so :thumb:

mind you i have an Ebay account in fact this is my 3rd ,love the way you get scammed on a item,Ebay agree but still insist on charging you for commission on the full price,hence i will pay to put the advert in but no way would i pay the final valuation fee,hence twice they done this so 3rd account

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Point 1.

If it was genuine I would have bought it, you lot would have been far too late:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

If you check the address in the browser bar you will find ir is not an ebay address, also checking feedback option, you will find it does not go anywhere.

Peter

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
When on ebay always beware and NEVER pay for anything or make any contact outside of Ebay
Thats not quite correct. What else can you do when the seller states 'pick up only'?

I've bid on, won, and paid for quite a few eBay items which involved making contact 'outside' of the normal payment procedure. If the seller isn't genuine then the worst that can happen is they fail to turn up.
One thing for sure......you won't be losing any money.

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Thats not quite correct. What else can you do when the seller states 'pick up only'?

I've bid on, won, and paid for quite a few eBay items which involved making contact 'outside' of the normal payment procedure. If the seller isn't genuine then the worst that can happen is they fail to turn up.
One thing for sure......you won't be losing any money.

I think you misunderstood me. Obviously if you bid and win the bid then contact can still be made through the contact seller facility. If it is pick up only, then obviously you wouldn't pay until you see the item.
What I mean is when you are asked to nake contact on a non ebay email address otherwise your bid will not be accepted.
And payment should only be made in person (on collection as you say), or through the correct ebay methods such as pay pal. NEVER by western union or other similar money transfers.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Theres also another nice little con get a friend to bid,wacks in a bid you bid a few times leave it ,because you have gone to wht you will pay ,lo behold you get 2nd chanced on it :thumb:
Who needs 'a friend' when you can do it yourself?!! It's simple enough to create another eBay id.

No different to what some fakers on here get up to by creating an alternative id when they don't have the courage to post under their regular known id name.

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
As pointed out, this is undoubtedly a clever scam, and I am disappointed that eBay has not already removed it in response to Diabalo's report.

I have also reported this to eBay, and I recommend other Funsters do too.

The actual eBay item is 200388149623 - which redirects you to a lookalike site.

You can report the item here

Steve

Last edited:

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
Loads of scams like this on ebay.
Usually on vehicles and they price them at a clearly ridiculous price. Someone thinks it's the deal of a lifetime and so follows the instruction to contact the seller outside of ebay.
The person makes up some story but what they want is the same.......you to pay for the vehicle outside of ebay via western union or another similar outfit.
End result, they make loads of money, you lose loads of money and absolutely no way on earth that they will be traced. A lot of it is done from outside of the EU even!!

If it's too good to be true then it probably is.

Thanks for that - Never used e-bay yet and wondering if I ever will since these scams keep occuring and no way am I even going to open the link since you've all said it's a virus infected one ::bigsmile:

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
Re ebay

I lost an auction on a blackberry phone last week. only to be contacted shortly after by the seller saying they had been the victims of a fraud attempt & would i be interested in a second chance offer.

The seller went on to explain.... the winner had asked for the phone to be sent to NIGERIA and they then received messages from pay pal (FAKE) saying the money was in her account. also messages from ebay ( FAKE) saying to send goods or she would be barred from ebay etc......

She checked with ebay/paypal and found out that no monies had been sent.

So it pays to be careful on ebay it is truly shark infested waters and you need your wits about you:winky:

Barred from e-bay !!! OMG what has the world come to, to me that's like saying you'll be banned from going to Nigeria :ROFLMAO: In an earlier life I had the great misfortune of having to go there on business, still don't know what heinous crime I had committed to be sent there :ROFLMAO:

KEEP AWAY FROM E-BAY :ROFLMAO:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Thanks for that - Never used e-bay yet and wondering if I ever will since these scams keep occuring and no way am I even going to open the link since you've all said it's a virus infected one ::bigsmile:

As long as you keep your wits about you there are bargains galore to be had on eBay. If you don't feel comfortable, seek help from an experienced eBayer.

Steve

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Point 1.

If it was genuine I would have bought it, you lot would have been far too late:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Peter

haha, excellent :ROFLMAO:

Also the top photos on the main advert did not have the ebay water mark in the bottom right corner, and all ebay links should contain the item number, not hard to forge but this scammer didnt do it.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks for that - Never used e-bay yet and wondering if I ever will

E-bay is pretty good. I am awaiting a new shower unit, £320 RRP, I've paid £130. All above board. It may be old stock or a cancelled order and they want to clear them.

And pure laziness. I have just used a blob of Loktite, about £3 a tube, cheaper than getting the car out.

Books - last month Freddie Starr autobiography - £16.99 on the cover - £7.

DVDs and CDs usually seriously cheap and since they don't wear out second hand is fine and dirt cheap. Just received the whole Brittas Empire for £25 it's RRP £50 or £32 on Amazon.

Cameras - the big chains clear out old models at a good discount when new come in.

Take a bit of care and save ££££££££££

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back