Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009
I just cant believe how long it is taking to update my TomTom Live. Almost 2 hrs and its still no signs of finishing... is there any reason for this?

Ollie
TomTom.jpg

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The maps are pretty big and will take up to a few hours if you're loading the whole of Europe. An ordinary update, not a new map, can still take half an hour if your internet is not fast.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes.
TomTom hijacked someone else's mapping software without consent and got caught.
Next step was to develope their own software....which simply doesn't work in a sensible time scale.
And they probably need much bigger servers to cope with the demand.

My average download time is between 3 and 6 hours for a full map update.
Some mapshare updates of maybe 150kbps can take up to 10 minutes.

Pathetic speeds but TomTom don't seem to care.

I have always used TomTom but any replacements in future certainly won't be TomTom.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: GJH

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Last time I updated my Tom Tom it took about 2 1/2 hours and never worked properly again. It just kep crashing . Tom Tom only suggestion was to re boot it which didn't work either so had to bin in and buy a new one .... Not a Tom Tom !!

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Thanks for the info......Les was trying to update ours yesterday & gave up.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
just bought new AGURI up dates it self every time you turn it on in real time, no need for a computer. only wifi, nice bit of kit. about ÂŁ260 INC DASH CAM

OP
OP
OllieUK

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for all your info, it will be a while before I attempt to update it again... its a very frustrating bit of kit.. :(

Oct 22, 2012
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T590
Exp
I have had Tomtom various units for 25 years. All have been top of the range and have had general problems including downloads from time to time. However on each difficult occasion on contacting Tomtom by telephone the problems were resolved to my satisfaction. On one occasion a new unit was replaced same day.
I currently have a Go 6000 and I try to check for updates weekly also avoid downloading large files until they have been available for several days. Check the TT forum for problems. So in practice I avoid large updates until l can leave the unit to take its time.
I have never had long download periods of the order referred in other posts except when there were source problems with the update.
My problem currently is the delay to the software t o allow poi's to the unit.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
My problem currently is the delay to the software t o allow poi's to the unit.
Don't hold your breath :D TomTom's forum is full of threads complaining about (lack of) POI support in the NAV4 range. Last I heard from a senior support manager was that he had been advised (by the Product Lifecycle Team) that there would be a meeting soon to discuss future improvements to the software and increased POI management will be part of that discussion. That was 25th May so "soon" isn't all that soon :)

I had the GPSfix and camera files to update today. The downloads themselves (where server capacity could have an effect) were pretty quick but the actual updates of the unit took around 15 - 20 minutes in total. For such small files that must be badly written software (just like the NAV4 range I suppose :D).

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
I get reminders that my unit needs updating. It's now 3 years old and never been updated. Oops

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I concur 2 hours seems about right, but word of caution, following my last download / upgrade it totally lost UK from address options, had to do it all over again o_O

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The worst experience I ever had....

A 6 hour map update....then an error message.

Update failed.

Tried to find shortest route from PC to bin but TomTom don't appear to have that particular route installed.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our TomTom unit is one of the last 'old system' models, ie it has an SD card and works on the MS base, not the new one, it has always worked fine and hubby likes it as it's so easy to put the POIs etc on but that's changed! Whilst on holiday it was slow ... we'd get round a corner as instructed and the TomTom would still only be approaching it on the previous street! We'd not had this before so all we can think is that it's down to the sheer size of the mapping now and the system just can't process it fast enough. He's going to try having just one country routing at a time, rather than a few (which allows for seemless travelling over borders) and see if that improves things, otherwise we'll have to rethink things. We have used tablets whilst away a lot of the time but as we go to a lot of out of the way places which aren't so well covered by satellite we had a few occasions where they couldn't get a usable gps signal as they don't have a dedicated gps receiver as dedicated sat nav units have.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Start your TomTom update last thing at night and leave it running overnight. Trying to do it when the interweb is busy with normal traffic is hopeless and will only lead to tearing of hair, wailing, gnashing of teeth and rending of garments.

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
I have TT on an old MK 1 iPad and works, updates just fine.
It is an app tho.
I put the old iPad on eBay but only got up to ÂŁ50 on the bidding so thought I would just keep it for TT, and a few other MH related apps.

Suits me just great in Europe etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back