Generator mainly to charge battery (1 Viewer)

M

mercedes sam

Deleted User
Hi Everybody!

I recently purchased a Mercedes Autotrail Navajo on a 207d (b-reg) as a full-time project/home.

And its great, really enjoying the sense of freedom and escape from the 'normal' mainstream lifestyles.

I've got most of the main things sorted but want to ensure i have plenty of power!

Thus, I am looking to purchase a reasonably small generator mainly to charge my leisure battery. But theres alot of gennys out there and I'm not sure what i need!

Can anyone reccomend a reasonably priced (prob £500 max) generator that can charge a battery and maybe run a lap-top or some disco lights if we fancy making a party happen?

Many thanks

Sam!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hello n welcome ..becarefull what you buy theres hardly any weight spare for anything,check your pay load. 207d,s are notorious for being over weight before you start. auototrail need hanging for that base and the size of camper they built on i. cheers alan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

dogmanlpool

Free Member
Jun 9, 2009
liverpool
Funster No
MH
mercedes 609d
hello an welcome ? am lookn around myself for a geny for the same reason just to charge my battery bought one a while bk off amazon 900w which is more than enough to do the job ?brandnew delivered aswell it cost just under £50 quid it was worth every penny an not a bit noisey ? thanks keith::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
That price has Kipor written all over it.

i agree with Brian..and watch the weight....a 2200watt (IG2600) kipor will cost around £450 and weighs, i think, 22kg but will run everything you want to use, short of a household kettle.

running a genny just to charge your batteries is a very inefficient way to do it (bit like using a tractor to tow a 3ft box trailer) so buy a big'un and use the excess power to heat water, run the fridge, recharge lap top, mobile phone, ipod etc while its running.
saves a bit of gas as well.

bear in mind, to charge a flat battery may take in excess of 8 hours depending on the size of your charger.

another option would be a solar panel if its just to charge batteries.
mine was £400 on ebay and rarely use my genny now.

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
There are a number of 850watt gennies about adequate for charging batteries, don't run a laptop or other electronic devices direct from them though as they are cheap and cheeerfull and not regulated.

Via the battery, no problem, 240v debatable.

PETER

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mercedes sam

Deleted User
Thanks everyone for your info!

....running a genny just to charge your batteries is a very inefficient way to do it (bit like using a tractor to tow a 3ft box trailer) so buy a big'un and use the excess power to heat water, run the fridge, recharge lap top, mobile phone, ipod etc while its running.....

Thanks,
I vaguely remember hearing of a peice of equipment that makes charging a battery with a genny more efficient, does anyone know anymore about this?

i presume the kipor is a good brand as lots of people have reccomended it...

Sam

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
....I vaguely remember hearing of a peice of equipment that makes charging a battery with a genny more efficient,
i presume the kipor is a good brand as lots of people have reccomended it...

Sam
hi sam,

i dont know anything about the 'piece of equipment' you mentioned but the kipor is a copy of the honda, electronics wise, as was proved by honda trying to sue kipor for stealing their technology, and the engine is slightly noisier but not a lot.....(here come the honda brigade to shoot me down.):ROFLMAO:..

in my view the kipor is the 'poor mans' honda, and, at less than half the price does the same job.:thumb:

click the link to see the range......<<Link Removed>>
they can be bought cheaper of ebay.

Upvote 0

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We have a 1kw Kippor Sinemaster. Brilliant, noise level on a par with the Honda. Our last van only had a 85APH battery and the Kippor was ran for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours ths charged the battery and allowed Steph to cook a meal in our Remoska which saw us through till the next day. :thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back