1st time in France - Open to suggestions (1 Viewer)

fpinela

Free Member
Apr 4, 2016
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm leaving home tomorrow for a 2/3 month trip around France, Spain & Portugal, crossing the ferry on Sunday early morning to Calais.

Our planned route is through Arras, Reims, Troyes, Dijon and stay for a while in the alps region. I've got the vicarious books with all the aires, but as far as I can see there's only one aire in Arras and seems very small and probably busy. Has anyone been there recently and advise how likely we will find a space available? Arras, Reims, Troyes and Dijon we will very possibly only stay overnight and move to the next one, leaving more time to enjoy the alps region. Of course if we find a nice place and want to stay longer, we will just do it.

What I would like to ask you is if you have any suggestions of nice aires/places to visit in these places?

Thanks

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Of course if we find a nice place and want to stay longer, we will just do it.

That's the way to do it, as Punch said.

France Spain Portugal over 3 months, that's a decent time-scale for a change, often people want to do it in 3 weeks.

Alps - well we've just been singing the praises of Chamonix in here.

I hope you like hot and crowded, you'll soon experience it.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
My recommendation for a good length of time like that would be to spend a little time each evening plotting where to go on the next leg but no further. Don't be too rigid on your planned route, go with the flow and follow your nose, and the weather and don't be afraid of changing your mind.

On this trip of mine I wanted to spend some time in the Auvergne but when I got there it had been raining for 4 days so I moved on to hot and dry Provence.

Probably THE most important thing to do when aire hopping, and that can save stress towads the end of the day, is always have a Plan B and in July and August, maybe a Plan C too. Popular Aires can fill up very quickly.

Have a great trip - I am :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Arras aire is small other than weekend you should have no trouble but it's worth it a beautiful city with a great market, the tunnels are worth a visit by the tourist office . When we were there vans were parking on the side road next to the aire

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You'll generally find nicer aires away from the big cities. Look for little villages and ones beside rivers or canals. This is the way to see France.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Hey just get across the channel and plan one day at a time, just relax and after Leeds just enjoy the relaxed atmosphere and quiet roads.
One word of caution, it can be habit forming over here, as you can see we cut and run from Todmorden and now live here.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Make sure your loo and waste is empty and your fresh water and gas full. You may have a unscheduled stop because it's so nice :)
...and be aware that you can't get Calor gas there - each country has it's own suppliers with their own connectors.

Wyn

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We have stayed on the Arras aire a couple of times and never had a problem getting a space, I think there's room for about 10 vans. This being France nobody worries too much about an aire being full, they just park on any adjacent bit of tarmac, probably room for another 5 vans. Its not in a very pretty part of town but its quiet enough.

Arras town is very pleasant and only about a 7 minute walk from the aire.

arras.JPG

Paul

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
We've just come back via that part of northern France and found it very busy because of the football. A lot of sites also have problems due to the recent heavy rains making the pitches too soft and muddy for use. So maybe be prepared to alter your itinery but that's part of the fun really.... Godd luck and enjoy the trip.

OP
OP
fpinela

fpinela

Free Member
Apr 4, 2016
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Arras aire got quite busy in the evening, although we arrived early and there was plenty of space at that time. Reims is now very busy, but a very pleasant space :)

The weather has been terrible all day though.

OP
OP
fpinela

fpinela

Free Member
Apr 4, 2016
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Nice aire's at Geraudot and Giffaumont champaubert

Geraudot looks very nice, altough in the All Aires book it says height barriered / restricted and there's only a service point, no overnight. The book also says Inspected 2013 so it might have changed. Have you been there recently?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
East of Troyes there's free overnight parking permitted in a car park by the lake outside Mesnil-Saint-Pere, but no services. Near the visitor centre.

At Dijon there's an aire attached to the municipal campsite (Camping du Lac Kir) and you can stay in either, but look out for the approach road - be sure to go in from the SW across the bridge. The opposite lane leads you down to an arch that's far too low for a MH. Easy bike access to town centre and Lac Kir's not bad either. Worth being there on a Wednesday for market day.

Beyond Dijon there's an aire by the river at Seurre.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
If you are heading towards Dijon, carry on South and visit Beaune.

Anywhere South of there in Burgundy is quite pretty with excellent wines. Ignore the supermarkets and visit the wine co-operatives. Spend twenty minutes looking around while you see what the locals are buying.

Our local Cave keeps great value wines in a stockroom outside the main showroom. If you see locals going through an unmarked door and coming back with bottles or boxes, follow them!

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if your leaving imminently i would dive down as far south as you fancy and work your way back spai and the south of france are very busy late july august

Apr 22, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
Eight wonderful years!
Alps are fantastic - the Aire at Plain Joux north of Chamonix has amazing views of Mont Blanc and a gorgeous little lake (imaginatively called Lac Vert!) just to the east (about 1 km away). Lovely modern church on the way up too and quirky gardens. The wildflowers at Montgenevre were stunning last week - tho it was cold. Don't ignore Alsace en route or way back - the villages (around that route des vins) are stunning but somehow seem to get a bit overlooked. We were told the Jura were fab but were unimpressed - when you've seen the alps, they were OK but nothing special (sorry if others think they are amazing!). Champagne has gorgeous villages too - if fact all of France is fab! If you have time don't use toll roads - you save money and see all the little towns as you drive. If you get to Chamonix do go up the Aiguille du Mid. Pick a good day and go early (first lift) cos it gets really crowded. (The car park is an big Aire - but when we were they 2 years ago there was no loo and the emptying point was full!). Go right to the top (both cable cars - don't hang around mid station- enjoy that on the way down) and when you get to the top go straight for the "step into the void". It has to be done but preferably without the 30 min queue in sub zero temperatures that we had! We were perished despite lots of clothing! It is expensive but for a once in a lifetime experience - go for it. You can save a fortune by staying on cheap/free Aires, wildcamping (safely!). Spend the savings on special stuff like this - also helicopter trip from just east of Chamonix is amazing. Have a great time!

OP
OP
fpinela

fpinela

Free Member
Apr 4, 2016
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks guys. Very good suggestions.

We are in Dijon at the moment, just by the lake Lac Kir. Very nice place with a swimming beach which is just great in this weather. It was over 30º during the day here today, and it's still close to that at 11PM.

So far we haven't used any toll road, just came from champagne region and going down to the Alps in a very slow pace. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back