Question from new Hymer (JLo) Owner (1 Viewer)

JanGar

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I am a newbie
Day 2, finally sussed opening the fresh water tap, thanks to an earlier post on here, thank god drove me nuts.

Bought proper fresh water sterilising stuff (caravan shop) and blue/pink toilet chemicals. Want it fresh and nice and squeaky clean. Short electrical hook up cable arrived today (house to 3 pin) main one due tomorrow.

Question is - what do I need to fill the freshwater tank, when I'm out and about, hose, connectors etc?

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
A hose & tap connectors of various sizes so you can connect to taps and fill up fresh tank. Try the various hozelock or similar connectors.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
½ BSP is the most common tap connector throughout Europe, same as a UK garden tap. We always carry a few of the tap connectors easy to leave them behind after filling up, also carry a selection of other sizes, a 3m hose, a 7m hose this allows filling from either side & a 20m roll flat hose taken off the cassette (only used twice in 8 years) for emergencies. All the hoses can be coupled together.

Here is my collection.

Hoses collection.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
JanGar

JanGar

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I am a newbie
½ BSP is the most common tap connector throughout Europe, same as a UK garden tap. We always carry a few of the tap connectors easy to leave them behind after filling up, also carry a selection of other sizes, a 3m hose, a 7m hose this allows filling from either side & a 20m roll flat hose taken off the cassette (only used twice in 8 years) for emergencies. All the hoses can be coupled together.

Here is my collection.

View attachment 111268
Thank you Lenny, a fine collection, Im on the case and will have my collection by Sunday!

Printermick

Free Member
Dec 13, 2013
peterborough
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
just started
We use a watering can and put in only what we think we will need. Always aim to be travelling nearly empty with drinking water in plastic bottles.

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
As said Std garden tap fitting plus a watering can. No matter how difficult you can use a can anywhere.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Don't think you'll need the toilet pink. Most MHs toilet flush comes from the fresh water tank and don't have a header tank.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We use a watering can and put in only what we think we will need. Always aim to be travelling nearly empty with drinking water in plastic bottles.
By contrast we won't leave home without a full tank & often carry another 2 x 20Lt full containers in the garage, never know how far the next place is we can get water, we can't live without a morning shower.:)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Poundland is a good source of cheap hose connectors and much better quality than B&Q's own brand ones, have to buy loads of bits with them that you don't need and of course only a pound.:)
The green ones in my pic are Ploundland ones & the big tap connector.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I also carry 2 watering cans.
I top up daily so it's not such a chore.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Two or three items to make it even easier.

An inline shutoff tap, a very short section of hose, and a filler cap fitted with a hose connector.

The Heos hose inlet adapter comes in two variants - the universal which fits every MH except mine, and the Hymer special which fits. How do I know? Yes, I got the universal one first...:(

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Here's the pic I couldn't post earlier
hosebits.jpg

Heos filler cap hose adapter, short bit of hose, and shutoff tap

OP
OP
JanGar

JanGar

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I am a newbie
By contrast we won't leave home without a full tank & often carry another 2 x 20Lt full containers in the garage, never know how far the next place is we can get water, we can't live without a morning shower.:)
More good points, thank you.

OP
OP
JanGar

JanGar

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I am a newbie
Thanks everyone for their contribution, water connecting equipment purchased and on its way.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Gary there are many threads and much discussion about travelling with full water tanks . Displacement and weight / payload being two reasons not to travel full.

OP
OP
JanGar

JanGar

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I am a newbie
Gary there are many threads and much discussion about travelling with full water tanks . Displacement and weight / payload being two reasons not to travel full.
Yes I have seen them, I think travelling empty for me, unless going wild. Just treating my water tank to a descale and de bug today. Noticed theres a screw loose that holds the awning in place!!!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009

Here is my collection.

View attachment 111268

Alternately you could use a watering can, not so good at some aires though

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
It's great you are doing all these jobs before you set off!
Are you very pleased with her and can we see photos when she is all polished up! ( I call it a she , has it a name?!)

OP
OP
JanGar

JanGar

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I am a newbie
Here's the pic I couldn't post earlier
View attachment 111452
Heos filler cap hose adapter, short bit of hose, and shutoff tap
Bought one of these and I can see why they are so handy, filled my tank easy peasy, no hanging around holding the hose in, thanks again.

OP
OP
JanGar

JanGar

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I am a newbie
Another thread, I am taking it to a guy tomorrow, to take off or repair. He will do a habitation check in July and if the awning can't be fixed tomorrow, he will do it then. Thanks for asking.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
That
Another thread, I am taking it to a guy tomorrow, to take off or repair. He will do a habitation check in July and if the awning can't be fixed tomorrow, he will do it then. Thanks for asking.
s good hope they don't find the dreaded water ingress.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back