Cordless power tools for the garden. (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Moving the end of next week to a place that has an awful lot of garden ! Lots of hedges some of them quite high .. I have a Stihl HS hedge trimmer which is only a couple of years old and is a fantastic bit of kit but even for a fairly big strong bloke like me its heavy ! Ace when near the ground but to do lots of high work with it would be a killer !

So I'm looking at long reach hedge trimmers and prefer the Stihl brand. Or maybe the lithium battery ones from the same maker.

Other thing I will need is a battery powered mower. One of the lawns it tiered and it has a lawn thats not massive but not small either. I have a Honda Mower which is great but again its a heavy beast and lugging it up steps is not really viable in the long term. I know Stihl do a battery mower but under a different brand name ? .

Prefered brand for the kit is Stihl. Appreciate its expensive but the hedge trimmer and the leaf blower / vac I have at the moment are excellent so would prefer to stick with that brand or something equally as good or better,

Suggestions welcome .

Cheers !

?

Deleted User
Why not look 2nd hand for a Stihl petrol pole saw. Im sure you get a hedge trimmer attachment. Aldi had a cheap version not so long ago and screwfix tend to be good for sales. BTW i do gardenoing and use the Stihl hedge trimmer you wuse :D << Nah only joking, three hedges a day and the boss does three but even then you dont half feel it the next morning.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Why not look 2nd hand for a Stihl petrol pole saw. Im sure you get a hedge trimmer attachment. Aldi had a cheap version not so long ago and screwfix tend to be good for sales. BTW i do gardenoing and use the Stihl hedge trimmer you wuse :D << Nah only joking, three hedges a day and the boss does three but even then you dont half feel it the next morning.

Would rather bite the bullet and buy new. Used is great but its risky especially with kit like this and cheap could end up dear ! Not into budget kit either to be honest. I have a Ryobi long reach set up at the moment which is long reach. Its 4 years old and its a 36cc petrol but its rubbish .

Just interested to hear what people have and recommendations.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I have a Bosch battery strimmer with plastic replaceable blades which last no time at all - its c**p compared to the old mains cable powered Flymo with reels of plastic cutting string. I also have a cheap multi attachment 2 stroke based strimmer, hedge trimmer, chain saw and its brilliant and the Stihl equivalent should be brilliant but it depends on the weight. My hedge trimmer tilts so that I can cut horizontal tops of hedges from the ground subject only to the thickness of the hedge not being longer than the serrated cutting blade.

?

Deleted User

Aye we never use the pole saw to do hedges as you cant get the same purchase. You just need to buy a larger lader so you are not over stretching or/and see if you can get a shorter cutting blade to reduce the weight. At home i have 10' leylandii what would be around 80' long. I just use the electric for that as i know the petrol would kill me.

BTW why electric lawnmower? Agin Aldi had one with a Briggs & Stratton engine in for £170 not long ago what i thought was a good buy

Broken Link Removed

Are battery ones cheaper? Never looked at them

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I would just buy a dozen packages of wild flower seeds spend an hour scattering them around and leave the rest to nature.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I will also be interested in any comments on the long reach hedge trimmer. We have a couple of very deep hedges bordering a field and a tall and deep one bordering the road.
Bought a cheapo cordless long reach job a couple of years ago but still can't get to the difficult bits.
Might have to bite the bullet and invest in a Stihl or something similar.

Richard.

?

Deleted User
I will also be interested in any comments on the long reach hedge trimmer. .

Richard.

As i said i feel you cant get the same purchase on them as if you were standing cutting horizontal. Even if it was the pole saw with a chain its only good for fatter branches, say an inch or more. Much thinner ones its starting to look like you are ripping them off and making the hedge look scruffy. Personally i would take a few feet from the top of the hedge if things are that bad. 8 to 10 foot is more than enough and still manageable for hedge trimmers and a pair of loppers.

<Broken link removed>

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Aye we never use the pole saw to do hedges as you cant get the same purchase. You just need to buy a larger lader so you are not over stretching or/and see if you can get a shorter cutting blade to reduce the weight. At home i have 10' leylandii what would be around 80' long. I just use the electric for that as i know the petrol would kill me.

BTW why electric lawnmower? Agin Aldi had one with a Briggs & Stratton engine in for £170 not long ago what i thought was a good buy

Broken Link Removed

Are battery ones cheaper? Never looked at them

I have a Honda lawn mower. But getting it up the steps at the back will be a right game. That's why a battery mower makes more sense. Battery mowers are expensive more so than electric or petrol.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
G Tech make a battery mower. I've got their vacuum cleaners & they're excellent. There must be reviews of the mower online.

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
After some research on cordless mowers I've opted for one of these:

Hasn't arrived as yet so cannot give a test report unfortunately.

Not struck by the G-Tech stuff to be honest.

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
I know that it's not the brand it once was, but I have had a Bosch rechargeable mower for the last couple of years and I am very pleased with it. I got the slightly higher capacity battery and get at least an hour's use from a full charge (which suits me as I only have small gardens and can do them in about twenty minutes (y)). Nice cut with stripes.

?

Deleted User
After some research on cordless mowers I've opted for one of these:

Hasn't arrived as yet so cannot give a test report unfortunately.

Not struck by the G-Tech stuff to be honest.

That does not cut it for me :LOL:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Would rather bite the bullet and buy new. Used is great but its risky especially with kit like this and cheap could end up dear ! Not into budget kit either to be honest. I have a Ryobi long reach set up at the moment which is long reach. Its 4 years old and its a 36cc petrol but its rubbish .

I have the Stihl long-reach hedge trimmer & polesaw. Brilliant kit.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Stihl all the way. I have three HS hedge trimmers, the long reach hedge trimmer, back pack blowers and strimmer.
Over the years I have tried different brands but truth is, you get what you pay for.
At this time of year I am using the long reach on a daily basis and I know I can rely on it.
Most of the rechargeables don't have enough power for larger jobs.
Cannot help with a light mower. I end up lifting my Haytors or using a couple of scaffold boards to get to difficult areas.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
@Charlie . Been having a look at YouTube videos of Stihl rechargeable garden equipment and have to say I'm impressed.
I was amazed to see a battery chain saw and watched the video of it cutting up a tree trunk like a hot knife through butter......who would have thought it possible?
I have always equated battery products with flimsy low power kit.
Seriously considering one of their long reach hedge cutters.

Richard.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
@Charlie . Been having a look at YouTube videos of Stihl rechargeable garden equipment and have to say I'm impressed.
I was amazed to see a battery chain saw and watched the video of it cutting up a tree trunk like a hot knife through butter......who would have thought it possible?
I have always equated battery products with flimsy low power kit.
Seriously considering one of their long reach hedge cutters.

Richard.

Richard I went for a Viking (Made by Stihl) 36 Volt mower with two 36 Volt 6 amp batteries. A stihl long reach hedge trimmer which uses the same batteries and a Stihl Strimmer / brushcutter which again uses the same batteries. Also bought a Stihl super fast charger.

I went to our local supplier a company we have done lots of business with over 38 years. Thier price for the whole lot was £1358.00. I asked fro proper discount and was told that was the final price. 15 Minutes on the internet bagged me the whole lot for just under £1000 ... Quite a saving eh ?

These Lithium Ion 6 amp batteries have quite some clout ! 36 Volt mean one heck of a lot of power !

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Richard I went for a Viking (Made by Stihl) 36 Volt mower with two 36 Volt 6 amp batteries. A stihl long reach hedge trimmer which uses the same batteries and a Stihl Strimmer / brushcutter which again uses the same batteries. Also bought a Stihl super fast charger.

I went to our local supplier a company we have done lots of business with over 38 years. Thier price for the whole lot was £1358.00. I asked fro proper discount and was told that was the final price. 15 Minutes on the internet bagged me the whole lot for just under £1000 ... Quite a saving eh ?

These Lithium Ion 6 amp batteries have quite some clout ! 36 Volt mean one heck of a lot of power !

Be interested to know how you think they perform once you've had the chance to use them, particularly the hedge trimmer and strimmer.
Which models did you chose?

Richard.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Be interested to know how you think they perform once you've had the chance to use them, particularly the hedge trimmer and strimmer.
Which models did you chose?

Richard.

Viking Ma 339 C mower
Two Stihl AP 300 6 amp 36 volt batteries
Stihl HLA 85 long reach battery hedge trimmer
Stihl FSA 90 R Strimmer / brushcutter
Two Stihl AL 300 fast chargers.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!