Croatia in July ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Our original plan was south of France, we have booked a site for 7 days and paid a deposit but due to the uncertain fuel situation thought of going back to Germany.. then read that the weather wasn't that great so then thought.. Croatia.. !

We have never been there so would value any advice..

Is it very busy in July.. ?

Will it be very hot .. ?

Are sites really busy.. do you need to book.. ?

Is going via Germany, Austria , Slovenia the best route ?

If going via Austria don't want the expense of a Go Box.. (van is 4,000kg MAM ) .. is it ok to go on non toll roads .. ?

Any must see places, national parks, lakes etc ?

Best camp sites ?

Any other useful info.. ?

I know lots of questions.. I've read most of the threads on the Croatia forum..
please just answer what you know.. :)

Thanks in advance..

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Not much help, but we're heading off there at the end of next week.

Weather in Croatia coastal areas is good now, with temps in the high 20's.

Had originally planned to visit Switzeland but the weather in Central Europe is not good.

We're planning to visit a couple of National parks and one island

Travelling via Swttzerland and Italy

Happy to pm you our itinerary if you wish?

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Jim we have the German aire books would you like me to post them to you or do you use t'internet ?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just a thought, if you have already booked a week in south of France, why not still go then across Italy to Venice you can then get ferries to Croatia, take in three or four stops on the way.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just a thought, if you have already booked a week in south of France, why not still go then across Italy to Venice you can then get ferries to Croatia, take in three or four stops on the way.

could do, but it's booked for the second week and it's in the south west of France.. at Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer.. so only two weeks left.. and it's a bit off the route to Croatia..
Like the idea of going via Switzerland, Italy , and if I change plans yet again my navigator will go nuts :eek::LOL:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
could do, but it's booked for the second week and it's in the south west of France.. at Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer.. so only two weeks left.. and it's a bit off the route to Croatia..
Like the idea of going via Switzerland, Italy , and if I change plans yet again my navigator will go nuts :eek::LOL:
Yeah ok was just thinking as its booked , you could come back the other way , two birds with one stone, but if it doesn't fit, no go:(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 28, 2010
Torrevieja, Spain
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip H720
Exp
December 2011
We are in Croatia at the moment weather is only now starting to get better, most of the sites come out of ACSI by the end of the month but we have never had a proplem getting a pitch (yet) but we normally use the mini camps, if you go to Venice it is a easy drive into Croatia

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Our original plan was south of France, we have booked a site for 7 days and paid a deposit but due to the uncertain fuel situation thought of going back to Germany.. then read that the weather wasn't that great so then thought.. Croatia.. !

We have never been there so would value any advice..

Is it very busy in July.. ?

Will it be very hot .. ?

Are sites really busy.. do you need to book.. ?

Is going via Germany, Austria , Slovenia the best route ?

If going via Austria don't want the expense of a Go Box.. (van is 4,000kg MAM ) .. is it ok to go on non toll roads .. ?

Any must see places, national parks, lakes etc ?

Best camp sites ?

Any other useful info.. ?

I know lots of questions.. I've read most of the threads on the Croatia forum..
please just answer what you know.. :)

Thanks in advance..

It can be very hot but we didn't find it too hot when we visited in a July / August.

Some very big and expensive sites. Lots of Germans & Italians. I doubt that you would have to book. There are a few smaller (and nicer sites).

Lake Plitvice is lovely but much nice to go if the sun is shining (I guess) as the colours would be more vibrant.

If you are going that way, it is worth going into Bosnia & visiting Sarajevo.

Down in the SW of Croatia, Split & Dubrovnic are worth visiting.

We didn't go to the islands. The mainland beaches weren't spectacular in our opinion - what look like white sandy beaches are granite chips that slice through foam matresses used on the beach.

Some people find that Croatian service staff very friendly and nice. We weren't so enamoured.

Ensure that you drive with your lights on at all times, even when the sun is shining and it is mid-day otherwise you'll be stung for a fine - mine was 30 Euro :(

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We've been to Croatia in July and it was HOT. But I think it should be manageable. Last time we were there we stayed on the island of Krk (but there is a bridge). The city/town of the same name is picturesque and there is a campsite on the outskirts - Camping Krk. It used to be a very good naturist site, but has since had much more investment and is only for ordinary clothed camping now. Although I believe there is a small naturist beach a short walk away. It has its own mini marina and pleasant sunbathing terrace right next to the sea. There is a coastal path that goes to the town.

http://www.camping-adriatic.com/camping-krk-politin

There are other sites on the island too, and a lot of the scenery is impressive.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
We visited in may-June 2014. Our route was, Germany, Austria, Slovenia and then into Istria.

You can pick up Vignettes on the motorway fuel stations before crossing boarders, they are well signposted and cheap (Not sure about go box!).

We found it to be very hot but well worth the visit. We stayed on a number of ACSI campsites, otherwise we would have been paying well over the odds. July is the beginning of the peak season and campsite prices double. Expect to pay in the region of 30 € per night on many campsites.s I'm sure there will be others that are cheaper.
On our way down we visited Vienna in Austria and there is a campsite just off the city ring road with a nearby tram service straight into the city centre. (A must see place, bring camera and loads of money).
We then drove to Lake Bled (camping Bled) for a week as we passed through Slovenia another stunning place (Do not forget Ljubljana their capital City on your way down or home)(There is a campsite on the ring road with a bus stop right outside the camp that takes you straight into the City centre. I have put some pictures in the showcase section)).
Most of the campsites in Croatia are in Istria. We visited and stayed in the following places. Novigrad, Rovinj, Pula and some of the coastline south of here before our final stop which was the Island of Krk.

We just loved it, we were made to feel welcome and had a magical time.

Would we do it again ! Absolutely, especially Croatia.

There are some must see places in Germany too. The Romantic road, The Eagle's Nest and of course Neuschwanstein Castle.
Finally, original Bavarian beer and Bratwurst mit pomme frites must be sampled to complete your visit of Germany.

Safe Travels.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Last year on our way to Greece we went via the Fern & Brenna passes, easy drive, if you need a night stop Guesthouse Wolf just before Brenna buy a meal & park for the night.

Not much help, but we're heading off there at the end of next week.
Have you changed your plans? I thought you were going at the end of August.

Ensure that you drive with your lights on at all times, even when the sun is shining and it is mid-day otherwise you'll be stung for a fine - mine was 30 Euro :(
Does that apply if you have DRL's?
We are probably going to go there early September if the weather improves may spend a week or two in Germany on the way down, prefer to follow the sun rather than a destination.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Jim
July will be very hot and very busy full of Germans also sites will be expensive as ACSI won't be accepted July/ August.
Plitvice is fabulous and the colours amazing a long day though. Pag is a great island to visit as is Krk. Dubrovnik is a must and the coast road is 700 miles of stunning beauty equal to if not better than California.
Personally don't do Austria anymore with our van just too expensive or too slow off motorway. We go Calais to Thann, Lake Como (25 euros through Switzerland) then Garda Trieste Croatia.
Beautiful country nice people if you actually talk to them definitely a favourite of ours after Italy.(y)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Another vote for Camping Krk - beautiful site and walkable into town, however I don't expect it will be cheap during high season.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We avoided Austria too, for the very same reasons Rory (@Forestboy) mentions above, and instead crossed into Switzerland at Basel, then overnighted at Locarno. We filled out the Swiss Declaration for vehicles over 3.5t, which allows 10 x days travel in a 12 x month period, and cost 32.50 CHF.

It was our first time in Croatia (May time), and we really enjoyed it. We got down as far as Split, which we didn't like at all, but we also managed to take in some of Krk and Pag islands. We had a smashing time, but all sites were at ACSI rates of between 17 and 19 Euros.

@cliffandger have just been, and are on their way back now. :)

HTH Jim.

Jock. :)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Isn't it fair to say that all popular destinations in Europe are going to be busier in July - France included?

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks .. lots of really using information.. it's all been noted.. :)

we are having a re-think.. still debating whether to take a chance on the fuel situation and go to the site we booked in south of France..

I think we would prefer to go 'out of season'.. May - June time when it is less busy with cheaper camping and also when we have more time to go further south ..

Isn't it fair to say that all popular destinations in Europe are going to be busier in July - France included?

Yes quite correct..

July is busy everywhere.. we have been in France many times during the holiday season.. but there is plenty of rural France that is not busy and with plentiful cheap aires.. it's a big country and only really busy in the popular coastal resorts....

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
You've got me re thinking my plans now Jim

Hate crowds - so may re-schedule Croatia trip until September and look for somewhere quieter instead.

Maybe try Extremadura and Asuriras in Northern Spain

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Last year on our way to Greece we went via the Fern & Brenna passes, easy drive, if you need a night stop Guesthouse Wolf just before Brenna buy a meal & park for the night.

Have you changed your plans? I thought you were going at the end of August.

Does that apply if you have DRL's?
We are probably going to go there early September if the weather improves may spend a week or two in Germany on the way down, prefer to follow the sun rather than a destination.

I don't know - I was looking to install some after the event but found that a country that we were looking at going to wouldn't accept them instead of headlights but that was several years ago.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
You've got me re thinking my plans now Jim

Hate crowds - so may re-schedule Croatia trip until September and look for somewhere quieter instead.

Maybe try Extremadura and Asuriras in Northern Spain

Don't say it too loud. It is at risk of being more popular this summer.

The weather is, however, so unreliable there.

Weather forecast: today, 16oC. Later in the week, 27oC and thunderstorms. Could be back to 16 days later :( https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=asturia weather

Last edited:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We've been to Croatia in July and it was HOT. But I think it should be manageable. Last time we were there we stayed on the island of Krk (but there is a bridge). The city/town of the same name is picturesque and there is a campsite on the outskirts - Camping Krk. It used to be a very good naturist site, but has since had much more investment and is only for ordinary clothed camping now. Although I believe there is a small naturist beach a short walk away. It has its own mini marina and pleasant sunbathing terrace right next to the sea. There is a coastal path that goes to the town.

http://www.camping-adriatic.com/camping-krk-politin

There are other sites on the island too, and a lot of the scenery is impressive.

I have photos of me in land in Croatia in August ... wearing a beanie hat and wrapped up against the cold. It was a similar temperature to where we are now (about 16oC) - and it was a grey and dismal then as it is today :(

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
We have just come back from 6 weeks in France a d had no problems getting diesel. There were a couple of days at the start of the crisis when it was short, mostly due to panic buying I suspect. On our drive up this week there was no problem at all. We went to the Camargue last May and loved it, but not the bitey things that came out when the wind dropped!

Whatever you decide, enjoy it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back