Thrashing your motorhome is good for it! (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Diamond Dave.......our very own funster Dave Newell I believe.

Uninformed !.......I think not.
Well I just informed him! Maybe he does not know about the DPF burner, but since that article is dated in 2016 he should have known that. I disagree with his article from that point of view, and suggesting later Duke owners try to clean their DPF system manually is misleading. If the little DPF cleaning dashboard light comes on regularly then you maybe need to alter your driving style a bit. I have never seen mine come on!

I have opened up quite a few engines in my time and never found any evidence of real glazing. Mainly just wear and tear.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
He does not say thrash it here's a quote from the article in Practical Motorhome.
Quote:
I’m not saying we should thrash them mercilessly or do astronomical mileages in them but they do need regular use and to be driven a bit harder than many motorhome owners do, especially the latest generation vans with quite tall overall gearing. High gearing does result in good fuel efficiency when allied to an engine that produces good low-speed torque, but the engine will be so lightly loaded for most of its life that bores can glaze and other problems can arise. A blocked DPF is just one case in point
Read more at http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/advice/36409-be-tough-on-your-motorhome#tX2vzQQmX3E4l1Kw.99

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
He does not say thrash it here's a quote from the article in Practical Motorhome.
Quote:
I’m not saying we should thrash them mercilessly or do astronomical mileages in them but they do need regular use and to be driven a bit harder than many motorhome owners do, especially the latest generation vans with quite tall overall gearing. High gearing does result in good fuel efficiency when allied to an engine that produces good low-speed torque, but the engine will be so lightly loaded for most of its life that bores can glaze and other problems can arise. A blocked DPF is just one case in point
Read more at http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/advice/36409-be-tough-on-your-motorhome#tX2vzQQmX3E4l1Kw.99
You are right thrashing is not mentioned.....that was my journalistic licence ;)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
While ducato's are mentioned a few times, the article on DPF regen is a general statement ascertaining to ALL light commercials....at no point is it directed at Ducato's only.
Newer Ducato's may have computer controlled regeneration but many other makes and models, especially earlier ones, won't and the usual way to regeneration is high temp produced by sustained high engine speed to increase exhaust temperature thus burning off soot particles.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
tumblr_noys8mkgT11s0my1wo1_250.gif

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
i've always been told that diesel engines, cars and vans, are meant to be 'workhorses' but they do benefit from a 'gallop' every now and again to blow away the cobwebs.......
have i been wrongly advised then?

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
While ducato's are mentioned a few times, the article on DPF regen is a general statement ascertaining to ALL light commercials....at no point is it directed at Ducato's only.
Newer Ducato's may have computer controlled regeneration but many other makes and models, especially earlier ones, won't and the usual way to regeneration is high temp produced by sustained high engine speed to increase exhaust temperature thus burning off soot particles.
Nope, its still misleading especially for recent Ducato owners, as the Ducato is used as the example vehicle. I would think my point also applies to other contemporary vehicle DPF systems as well. The need to waste time and effort doing a clean at revs, when a much more accurate sensing and cleaning system is in place is misleading.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We were told on the last service that hubby does not "thrash" the engine enough.
There was black smoke coming from the eghaust. They put some Deisel magic in and the smoke has now gone.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
i've always been told that diesel engines, cars and vans, are meant to be 'workhorses' but they do benefit from a 'gallop' every now and again to blow away the cobwebs.......
have i been wrongly advised then?
If you read about one of the changes to the previous MOT regs regarding reving older diesels to high revs for the emissions tests..you will get your answer!

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Our Crafter had auto regeneration ... but manual regeneration was often required.
As I said, if the warning light comes on a lot then maybe is the time to get the system checked and a change to the driving style

?

Deleted User
I boot my van more now than then and it does not smoke. We had Pug 306 1.9 and 2.0 diesels what would get thrashed for up to 200k miles with no issue or smoking. Servicing the the key issue to keep them going yet saying that going over the intervals by a few 1000 miles wont kill it either. We all have out own ways and ideas about driving and what snake oil is good for your motor but what i do know about thrashing them. The bloody police hide in some funny corners at times. :LOL:

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
If you read about one of the changes to the previous MOT regs regarding reving older diesels to high revs for the emissions tests..you will get your answer!

haven't a clue what recent changes there have been in mot regs, the garage collects my car and van, does the mots, brings them back with a pass certificate, so was the answer to my question yes or no?

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Driving around places like london unfortunately isn't ideal. Delivery drivers and the like have these regeneration problems regularly.
Checking the system will result in being told to manually regen.
It's an issue thats been around for ages unfortunately and if you're driving at low revs and carefully then your dpf may suffer and require a regeneration. A short journey may prevent that auto regen. . ..
This can easily repeat itself over and over.
A manual regen is the only answer in that case.
(Imho)

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
In what way ?
Remember, in your words, the ECU is supposed to initiate a regeneration not your driving style.
As I said if The automatic regeneration system keeps coming on then it clearly dislikes your driving style. But the fact is its there and is doing a job.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
As I said if The automatic regeneration system keeps coming on then it clearly dislikes your driving style. But the fact is its there and is doing a job.
So come on then. Enlighten us on the driving style required.
It's often there and not doing its job because the conditions aren't right for it to.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
When I was having my Honda CRV serviced the mechanic said.. I hope you give it a good thrash every so often..does them no good just poodling around .. ( he was obviously thinking.. OAP owner :()

thrash is the wrong word.. but engines, be they petrol or diesel need to be worked.. get rid of all the soot and carbon build up in the valves and head.. driven gently does them little good...

back to the OP..

I think you are picking holes in an otherwise good article.. the writer is of the 'old school' giving sound advice, whether there is an auto DPF cleaner or not ..

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
So come on then. Enlighten us on the driving style required.
It's often there and not doing its job because the conditions aren't right for it to.
I refer you to the article I linked to originally re manual DPF cleaning and why it soots up. Yes as you said driving around a city all day is a problem. That affects your driving style.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
When I was having my Honda CRV serviced the mechanic said.. I hope you give it a good thrash every so often..does them no good just poodling around .. ( he was obviously thinking.. OAP owner :()

thrash is the wrong word.. but engines, be they petrol or diesel need to be worked.. get rid of all the soot and carbon build up in the valves and head.. driven gently does them little good...

back to the OP..

I think you are picking holes in an otherwise good article.. the writer is of the 'old school' giving sound advice, whether there is an auto DPF cleaner or not ..
OK well I think the auto DPF regen information should have been in there.
A. So owners understand they may have it and a warning light shows and they may not need to waste time and effort doing it manually.
B. They can monitor how often the DPF auto regenerates and change or adapt driving accordingly.
Being old school in this case is not acceptable in precise information regarding treatment of recent vehicle systems.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
But that answer doesn't say HOW you can change your driving style to prevent excessive regeneration.

So....how do you drive to prevent excessive regeneration

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I don't think I need to "thrash" my van to clear out anything...

Mr campa cola tells me that the roads here in Portugal are all pot holed and bumpy... so I reckon any soot anywhere in my van will be shaken loose by the vibrations as I potter around.

JJ :cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back