Alsace-Lorraine, information appreciated. (1 Viewer)

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Having recently completed a successful first tour of the Chilterns, Cotswolds, a well known site to funsters just outside Taunton! and Dorset I am now looking at going to France the week after next.
I would like to go to the Alsace region, not having been there before and there are some Aires I like the look of on the way. Any help on the following would be appreciated.
1. French schools break up at the beginning of July, is it likely to be a problem finding spaces in Aires in Northern France after this?
2. My wife doesn't want to move on too much, does anyone know of any good sites in scenic areas with restaurants within walking distance? Any suggestions for a suitable place for an anniversary meal would also be welcome.
3. Am I correct in thinking that you are not allowed to sit outside your van when staying at an Aire, thinking in terms of having breakfast etc.?

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
3. Is correct - but in actual fact, people do, at lots of Aires. Don't erect an actual awning either - but when it's sunny enough - almost everyone winds out their Fiamma etc at least part of the way when it's needed!

In nice weather you will never stop anyone 'continental' living outside their Moho wherever it happens to be sat - only us Brits seem to live IN them LOL (reflection of out own weather probably) - so you just play it by ear is the answer!

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We spent last July in northern France. Lots of businesses closed for the month but aires are open. Quieter in Normandy that Brittany though. I hope to go again soon after a recent op.
We followed what a lot of french did re sitting out.
Nearly always been near restaurants we could walk to.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jasz
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Thanks for that, I also forgot to ask how long you are allowed to stay in one place as a general rule.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks for that, I also forgot to ask how long you are allowed to stay in one place as a general rule.
Signage there usually tells you how long. From 1 day to a week.
Usually longer if a payable one

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I think it will be less busy than the coast but some Aires in the popular Alsace towns do seem to get full (Kayserberg comes to mind )but if you get there at a reasonable time you will get a space.
Riquewihr and Eguisheim are nice to visit with lots of places to eat. You could also stay somewhere like Rouffach which has an aire by a restaurant ?
We really liked Orschwihr, very lovely wine village.
It's a very nice area, might head that way next week .

Last edited:

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Busiest time in French sites - 15th July to 25th August :)

Apr 10, 2015
Australia
Funster No
MH
Big Marlin ,Elnagh, 1998
Exp
Motorhoming Europe since 2009
We didnt have any trouble last year finding places to stay and we were there at the end of July. Can also recommend Colmar and Eguisheim. The aire at Eguisheim is a short walk to the town with plenty of restaurants. We celebrated my wife's birthday thier. The aire is free but has no services. Colmar has motorhome parking a few streets from the centre of the town. Our blog post of Colmar and Eguisheim is below if you are interested. Hope this helps.
http://www.travelbunyip.com/homepage/2015/08/countries/france/birthday-french-towns-and-chocolate/

OP
OP
Jasz
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Thanks for all the replies and the links, they were both interesting and helpful. Has anyone stayed at any camp sites or Aires that don't look like car parks, as I am still having some opposition from my wife? She would like to stay in a more attractive location - it looks as though there may be an area outside Eguisheim that is grassy.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We stayed at Camping de Masevaux a few years ago which should meet your requirements. A really nice well run campsite, great views, on the edge of a lovely Alsace town with a Tourist information office. Marked cycle routes from site, municipal pool next door I would stay there again.

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
We stayed in the municipal site at ribeauville a few years ago. We took our bikes and cycled through the vineyards to other villages. There is an Aire in the town as well. A beautiful place.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
I would never go anywhere that my misses wasn't happy with but , can of worms opened maybe , some men seemed to be sort of controlled by trying to only do or go with what there wife says is ok or happy with . Cut loose i say and explore , its all about the experience for both (y)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jasz
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
I would never go anywhere that my misses wasn't happy with but , can of worms opened maybe , some men seemed to be sort of controlled by trying to only do or go with what there wife says is ok or happy with . Cut loose i say and explore , its all about the experience for both (y)

It's not really a can of worms, we have done 2 tours by car where we stayed in a gite for a week. I was just looking to do something along those lines.
It appears that the main issue is that she likes to be organised and doesn't feel ready for France yet.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2015
Australia
Funster No
MH
Big Marlin ,Elnagh, 1998
Exp
Motorhoming Europe since 2009
Thanks for all the replies and the links, they were both interesting and helpful. Has anyone stayed at any camp sites or Aires that don't look like car parks, as I am still having some opposition from my wife? She would like to stay in a more attractive location - it looks as though there may be an area outside Eguisheim that is grassy.
This site was from another Funster in another forum post. [sorry cant remember the name to give credit]. It shows the aires in a 360 panoramic view as well as photos. You can see what the aire looks like before going there. It's a french site but easy to negotiate.
https://www.aire-service-camping-car-panoramique.fr/

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013

Try the Camper Contact App, we were there at New Year and quite a few wineries on the app that offer parking overnight. This place opened up the tasting room for us and even offered bakery in the morning as they also have a b & B.

http://www.campercontact.com/en/fra.../47513/motorhome-parking-vins-spitz-fils.aspx

We also stayed at the Aire at Colmar which is next to the canal.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
OP
OP
Jasz
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Thanks again for all the replies, lots of useful information which also led on to finding more out about the area. SWMBO has now persuaded me to delay going until September, when we could go for 3 weeks :) rather than the 16 days available at the moment (maybe Wales now depending on the weather).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back