Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
:Confused:Ok, so I need a gennie for use at Disney.
We have a very small budget for this and so initially looked at cheap 2 stroke ones, which are generally around £80 brand new.
I have started looking at 2nd hand ones and have come across the Kawasaki which although above £80 is still relatively cheap.
We only really need it to charge up the leisure battery, and to charge the odd electrical device so the digital inverters etc are not needed (I don't think).

Does anyone have the Kawasaki?
Is it any good?
Is it better to get a new 2 stroke, or a used 4 stroke such as the Kawasaki?

:thanks:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Is it any good?
:thanks:

There is a problem with generators, electrical spikes, if your luck is out these can blow your charger or laptop. The safest types are Sine Wave generators which have electronic regulated outputs.

We have this:
Link Removed

Not used it much but it did the job. How long will it last ? Who knows but it's all I wanted to pay for the odd power boost. It was just over £200 when I bought it last year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
There is a problem with generators, electrical spikes, if your luck is out these can blow your charger or laptop. The safest types are Sine Wave generators which have electronic regulated outputs.

We have this:
Link Removed

Not used it much but it did the job. How long will it last ? Who knows but it's all I wanted to pay for the odd power boost. It was just over £200 when I bought it last year.

Would a surge protector extension used in the van prevent this?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
hardhatIncoming " Generators"

Not in this case as its in winter, and in |France. a required item :thumb:

We have this:
Link Removed

Although Bryan is right as he normally is with anything electrical, I would say that it can happen but rarely does. The answer is to do what I have done and rig your van to be totally 12v sufficient. I therefore run all my stuff through 12v sockets, tv, laptop etc. You can of sourse then use a sine inverter to use your products as well or just buy a 12v laptop charger. The only non 12v item we have is the sky box which runs through and invertor. SO in answer any generator will do its just a case of how much or little you want in terms of reliabilty and or upsetting your neighbours.
Our Honda is whisper quiet and economical but expensive even used. If its only for a week and its not something your going to use to often why not go for a cheep one and see how you get one first?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Would a surge protector extension used in the van prevent this?

They aren't up to much, I wouldn't rely on one. But it's in the hands of the gods if you have any problems at all.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
SO in answer any generator will do its just a case of how much or little you want in terms of reliabilty and or upsetting your neighbours.

Not quite. Unless you isolate your leisure battery for charging then your genny is going to power a pretty expensive on board charger.

I have little of experience gennies, I've just picked up the odd disaster story on the forums, but I do know that if it says Sine Wave then you have a lump of electronics between the spikes and the alternator. I guess you also have more to go wrong.

Can't argue with Buy Honda - though strangely enough the one time my Honda bike let me down was just before Morecambe when the charge regulator failed, a common fault on that bike but I thought mine had got away with it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
unless its an open frame builders genny, a four stroke will always be quieter than a two stroke when under load and more fuel efficient.:thumb:

if using a non digital invertor genny ensure you start it and let it run for a few minutes to 'settle down' before plugging in/turning on your charger.

i reckon most overvoltage problems occur, in a non invertor genny, when the engine is just started and revs irraticly (sp) until warm.
usually voltage is controlled by revs unlike an invertor type which isnt rev critical.

most invertor types have a constant voltage output (12v nominal at the genny converted to 230v at the outlet socket) regardless of revs and a 'smart' throttle which means it will practicaly be on tickover with a very light amps load and will increase engine power output automaticaly as the load amps increase making it very economical.

geoff587

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Not in this case as its in winter, and in |France. a required item :thumb:

Sorry didn,t realise the Anti Generator Brigade had a closed season :RollEyes:

Thanks for bringing it too my attention in such a large bright FONT

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
it was in loud print to show others the error of their ways before the incoming :ROFLMAO:

No excuses then,

I like that though, a closed season for the anti generator brigade:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Right, so I've just won the bidding on this gennie on ebay:thumb:
So if anyone thinks it's rubbish please don't tell me now as it's too late. Hope it's a good un:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back