LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Not with standing the fact that I run at 80 psi - not weighed yet and seems like Continental will say 80 anyway; but when on a longish run my tyre pal indicates that my pressures have increased to between 88 & 90 psi and sets off the warning buzzer - 10% according to the instructions I believe.
Is this increase normal and the warning should be set higher, or do they seem to be increasing too much at a higher than normal px and needs investigating? This is all 4 tyres rising in px and not just 1, no warning of over temping and as yet not thought about dropping the px yet.
Experience and words of advice welcome as always.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I had exactly the same result and was surprised to see the pressure increase by 10lb or more:Eeek:
I found that the warmer the weather the higher the increase. I have just set my tyrepal alert higher.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
My tyre pressures typically rise by less than 10 psi, as indicated on my Tyre-Pal. The only time the alarm has gone off was in July last year, on the hottest day of the year, when pressures and temperature rose considerably as we came down the M1. We pulled into a Service area and waited a few hours for cooler weather.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
I have snooper tyrepilot. tyres are rears 80 psi front 70 psi usually goes up to about 10 psi when hot just set alarm to a bit higher am told this is quite normal.

Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
I had the same issue and contacted tyrepal who advised increasing the upper limit.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, I was surprised just how much the tyre temperature readings increased on the van when travelling at speed, especially when in the Mediterranean region with high ambient temps.

Believe it is absolutely normal, so you can adjust your Tyrepal alarm levels accordingly.

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
If you look up "Boyle's Law" you will find out why your tyre pressures go up when driving. This law is the sole reason a diesel engine works.

D.
Aware they would go up, but it was the amount they went up concerned me though
if the volume of the air inside remains constant and doesn't decrease why does pressure increase.

Last edited:

Deleted User
If you drive for long periods with the hot sun on one side of vehicle then one side will be higher than the other as well:)

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Look up Boyle's law, that will explain all.

D.
No it doesn't. unless I am failing to see how the volume of the air decreases as you drive along. It also does not explain why pressure increase by approx 10 psi.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
No it doesn't. unless I am failing to see how the volume of the air decreases as you drive along. It also does not explain why pressure increase by approx 10 psi.
Your looking up the wrong Boyle (y)

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Your looking up the wrong Boyle (y)
How many are there. Can you point me in the right direction.
I am well aware of temp and pressure but the "boyles law" I looked up is for volume and pressure where temp is constant.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Boyle's law details the mathematical relationship between pressure temperature and volume in a closed vessel. You no doubt read the Wikipedia stuff but that doesn't actually cover it all, Wiki says P1V1=P2V2 but the true formula is P1V1T1=P2V2T2. Pressure volume and temperature are inherently linked in a closed vessel.

In a tyre the volume stays pretty much the same but as it is driven over a road surface it heats up and sooner or later that heat is passed into the gas inside. This rise in temperature while volume stays relatively stable leads to an increase in pressure which is proportional to the temperature increase.

As I said earlier, it is the sole reason a diesel engine actually works!

D.

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Boyle's law details the mathematical relationship between pressure temperature and volume in a closed vessel. You no doubt read the Wikipedia stuff but that doesn't actually cover it all, Wiki says P1V1=P2V2 but the true formula is P1V1T1=P2V2T2. Pressure volume and temperature are inherently linked in a closed vessel.

In a tyre the volume stays pretty much the same but as it is driven over a road surface it heats up and sooner or later that heat is passed into the gas inside. This rise in temperature while volume stays relatively stable leads to an increase in pressure which is proportional to the temperature increase.

As I said earlier, it is the sole reason a diesel engine actually works!

D.
Whilst I will not die in a ditch over this it must be pointed out that the relationship which includes a veritable temp is Charles law. A combined gas law has the equation of P1V1/T1 etc so if you can point out another site not wiki that states your formula great. If not I think it is more likely the combined gas law not boyles's.

Anyway. It does seem that 10psi is the norm(y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Combined gas law seems to be a bit of everybody's although I thought it was Boyles as well.

http://www.calculatoredge.com/chemical/combined gas law.htm

Anyway 10 psi is about right as you say, and it is amazing how quickly this takes effect, within 10 miles in my experience.

Martin

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Boyle's law details the mathematical relationship between pressure temperature and volume in a closed vessel. You no doubt read the Wikipedia stuff but that doesn't actually cover it all, Wiki says P1V1=P2V2 but the true formula is P1V1T1=P2V2T2. Pressure volume and temperature are inherently linked in a closed vessel.D.

Boyle's Law and Charles' Law equations can be combined into a single equation, representing the Combined Gas Law, which states: The volume of a gas sample changes inversely with its pressure and directly with its Kelvin temperature.

This is what Dave quoted above.

See https://www.easycalculation.com/chemistry/combined-gas-law.php

I have filled it in for typical Tyre volume of 1.5 cu ft, a starting pressure of 4 bar, and initial temperature of 20 deg C (293 K). If the temperature rises by 10 deg C - due to flexing of the tyres as the vehicle moves, then the pressure will rise to 4.1365 bar (Excuse mixing of units!!)

Capture.PNG

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Many thanks for the confidence boost. (y)Beginning to think there might have been something untoward. Now I will have weigh MH and get correct pressure as I am sure 80 psi is too hard. :rolleyes:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Many thanks for the confidence boost. (y)Beginning to think there might have been something untoward. Now I will have weigh MH and get correct pressure as I am sure 80 psi is too hard. :rolleyes:
It probably is, my guess, having just Googled your MH, is the fronts should be no more than 60psi. Not sure about the back as you seem quite large there :):) but less than 80 I'm sure.

And for gas expanding when it gets hot think hot air ballons. If it can't expand, the pressure will rise. If it can expand the density reduces and the balloon is away!

Deleted User
It probably is, my guess, having just Googled your MH, is the fronts should be no more than 60psi. Not sure about the back as you seem quite large there :):) but less than 80 I'm sure.

And for gas expanding when it gets hot think hot air ballons. If it can't expand, the pressure will rise. If it can expand the density reduces and the balloon is away!

Don't start confusing us with density now, got enough with pressure, volume and temperature!:)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
AND, Then, There are the "laws of partial pressure". AKA the reason your gas fridge works!.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back