Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
Salisbury, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
Hi all

My problem is I always deliberate over things, according to my wife, for far too long. So I though I would post on here and see what advice/suggestions were offered.

I want to take a scooter with us when we are on our travels in our C Class motorhome and at the same time use the scooter for commuting to work, sunny days only:roflmto:

The choice of sccoter has been made as the Suzuki Burgman. From what I can gather the weight of the scooters obtained from the Suzuki website are as follows:

Burgman 125 = 159kg Weight on rear, including carrier, is 303kg. Plenty of second hand ones available

Burgman 200 = 170kg Weight on rear, including carrier, is 322kg. Not many second hand ones available, but a few of the older 250cc versions available.

Burgman 400 = 215kg Weight on rear, including carrier, is 398kg. Plenty of second hand ones available and cost about the same as the 125cc version

Now for the weight details of the motor home:
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating GVWR = 5579kg
Gross Axle Weight Rating GAWR= Front 1950kg Rear 3901kg

Took the motor home to a weighbridge with full LPG tanks 1/4 tank petrol and everything loaded that we normally take on journeys except for 2 more adults, clothing for a total of 3 adults and food in the fridge. The recorded weight readings were:

Gross Vehicle Weight = 4520kg (GVWR 5579kg)
Gross Front Axle Weight = 1540 kg (GFAWR 1950kg)
Gross Rear Axle Weight = 2980kg (GRAWR 3901) This leaves a spare capacity of 921kg

The motor home is fitted with rear Air Lift suspension units and I have just replaced all of the shock absorbers with top of the range Monroe Gas Shock absorbers designed for RV's.

My decision is not helped by the fact that the 125cc (all be it newer) is around about the same price as the 400cc. Also we are both suffer from a little middle age spread. The wife more that me, hope she is not looking. :ROFLMAO:

As for riding the thing, no problems there as I have had a full licence for over 15 years and rode bigger/faster bikes.

Your thoughts, suggestions, comments and advice as alaways are most welcome and appreciated.

Geoff

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Gross Axle Weight Rating GAWR= Front 1950kg Rear 3901kg
Gross Front Axle Weight = 1540 kg (GFAWR 1950kg)
Gross Rear Axle Weight = 2980kg (GRAWR 3901) This leaves a spare capacity of 921kg
Geoff

Small trap warning - front + rear add up to more then total.
You have an amazing capacity available.
There is a Burgman and trailer on sale here.

OP
OP
GEOFFs125

GEOFFs125

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
Salisbury, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
Brian

Thanks for your comments. As far as I am aware, its often the case were the Gross Axle Weight Rating total is greater than the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, however all three should never be exceeded.

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
certainly is normal for the two axle weights to be greater than the gvw. its so you can move the load around . i alike the idea of the scooter/m,bike on the front ,seen it alot in other countries. usually there is not so much leverage as the front wheel is closer to the end of vehicle.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
usually there is not so much leverage as the front wheel is closer to the end of vehicle.

Makes a lot of sense mechanically, that's for sure.

Looks, cooling, added drag, cab visibility, damage need thinking through.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
If it's any consolation Geoff I plumped for a Burgman 650 (267kgs) and my rear axle is 1650kgs with a spare load capacity of about 20kg when I am good to go :Sad::Sad::Sad: I'm not sure that I can even fit a towbar.... :cry:

OP
OP
GEOFFs125

GEOFFs125

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
Salisbury, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
::bigsmile: Please keep the comments/suggestions coming.

Autoquest: Not sure I would like to sail that close (20kg) to my axle limit, but would love a 650, however they are well beyond my budget.

Papajohn: I sent you an email last night with reguard to your Bergman. Let me know if you got it?

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back