Anyone done Disney in MH when really cold? (1 Viewer)

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
We're off to Disney at christmas and had been planning to stay in the MH. We have been many times before but always stayed in hotels.
Now we know it gets cold there and so Mrs L has started to worry about the cold etc, and how things will work while we're there.....She's talked about booking a hotel, but the deciding factor in getting the MH this year, (rather than in 20 years or so which is when we always thought we'd get one), was to be able to take it to Disney! It's like a 2nd home so the idea was the MH would pay for itself in no time!:thumb:

So any advice please...help me save the cost of the hotel which will be in excess of 1 1/2 grand:cry:

Specifically how do you keep your MH warm. Do you keep gas on when not in the van during the day? What about at night?
Do we need to weather proof at all? We have an Autosleeper, so not at all winterised.
How much gas should we expect to use for a week?
I've searched previous threads and some say that there is no water at this time of year, but others say there is.
Any further info on the aire at the nearby petrol station?

Thanks for your help:Blush:

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
We use a small oil filled radiator and have never been cold, we leave it on a lower setting when we are out.

Ralph

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No, but ive been to Tesco's when i was really cold but the cab heater soon warmed up......toasty warm feet:ROFLMAO:

Sorry, couldnt resist.:Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
i think it could be wise to go to disney in florida. dont like cold.

Did that last year....not a big fan of cold but christmas in shorts and t.shirt just feels wrong somehow:roflmto:
A fair old drive there too:ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i nearly always have xmas in shorts n sandels is there another form of dress to wear in the sun.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you must be in the wrong place. i do keep giving hints n tips as to the best place for xmas. agadir. by the sea .

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
We spent several days there in November. Our old van was winterised but it was bitterly cold. We had no generator so could not use our oil filled radiator. We had the blown air heater on while we were in the motorhome but turned it off on going out.

We also had a feather mattress topper underneath us and a high tog down one over us and wool travel rugs on top. Plus the trusty hot water bottles,bed socks, flannelette PJ's and wool hats! ( Romantic,hey?).

We kept the curtains, silver screens,and blinds closed when we were out for the day.
Think padded jackets, layers of wool jumpers, wool vests,long handles,gloves, hats and scarves and you will be fine. And you can't beat that hot toddy when you get back.
Lucille

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
It will be cold, and if the water supply along the Fence by the coach toilet drop is not turned off it may well be frozen.

Thats why we are going to spain:ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So any advice please...help me save the cost of the hotel which will be in excess of 1 1/2 grand:cry:

Easy.

Don't go.

Go when it's warm and sunny and you might actually enjoy it.

I'm a fine one to talk, we will be parked on a Cheshire field. But if it all goes pear shaped we can be home in an hour or so.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Don't listen to em Erpaul.

There just all getting on a bit and used to living down south ::bigsmile:

Us younger motorhomers, love using the van in the cold. 1st things first. You have no idea what the weather will be like yet so before you go canceling your trip on the strength of what you have heard hold on.

We and many others like us ski from our motorhome and endure temperatures of -30 at night. ahhh lovely and can't wait.

Here's a few tips.- Now I am thinking you are staying on an aire? Or at euro disney itself.

get your self a generator and a proper and I mean proper Jerry can. Your battery/ies will die very quickly in winter due to the fact it gets dark early. Run your genny from 8-10pm and this will top the battery up nicely.

gas usage will increase but to give you an idea, we bank on using about 19kgs in a week skiing. We leave it on low during the night. and sleep with proper sleeping bags and duvets. you may find you need to move on and get some gas, Having a gaslow fitted makes it so much easier.

take plenty of warm clothes and dont be afraid to wear them in bed. Ok you might smell but no one will notice or care. :Blush:

Use bottled water for drinking minimising your need to rely on site water. I personally would not shower for the week, but thats why I have so few friends.:Eeek:

you have all you need. alternately, Why not do a couple of days there and then go and stay on site with hook up for a couple days nearby where you can run your electrics and get water to your hearts content,.

It can be done and is a lot of fun and you are not likely to freeze to death. :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We kept the curtains, silver screens,and blinds closed when we were out for the day.Think padded jackets, layers of wool jumpers, wool vests,long handles,gloves, hats and scarves and you will be fine. Lucille

What was this, for some reality TV show ?

I know, it's that Japanese Endurance show, the one where they stick rats down your underpants and see how long you go before passing out. Yes, that would be it.

Last edited:

Andy 01424

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
0 but lived in static for 2yrs
Oh hagnap::bigsmile: lived in a static for 2 yrs so same really ok totally hooked up but heres some tips: 1yr got so cold got up couldnt pul curtains open there was 8 " up the windows of ice and they were stuck to it::Sad:

tips:

1: take 2 duvets sleep between them or under both[winter tog]
2: you may be snug as a bug when heatings on but it soon turns cold when you turn it off
3: main Door have a nice heavy Curtain over it thats where most heat escapes,this why i think you see a curtain from the cabin abover driver passenger seat make space smaller to
4: if its REALLY cold,sit on the loo !!! direction maybe an issue through shivering:roflmto:
5:On wake up make sure you do a deal who puts kettle on 1st in Morning
6: wear snuggle socks big thick ones,feet always end up sticking out
7: Obvious one DONT leave a gas fire running
8: have a small oil filled rad set on low to take chill out,personally we turned them off at night for safety
9: be lazy if snuggled in bed watching TV get a pump flask,save getting up making a coffee

ps weigh up the prices go when bit warmer ,nice warmer day fun,cold shivvering nuts off rain etc :Blush:

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks haganap. Needed some support:thumb:
Think I'm getting more confident and able to convince Mrs L that staying in the MH is a good idea now. We will be staying at Disney in the car park.
I've had a look at a gennie today as that is going to be a must buy before we go.

As you say, us younger MHer's don't mind the cold:winky:
We'd actually love to take it ski-ing but I think we'll leave that until we change our MH when we will look at a winterised one. Would cause too many problems with ours I reckon....plenty of time for that.

Our boy would definately be quite happy not to shower for a week...in fact when he went on his cubs camp he went hiking, horse riding, and did lots of other scouting things. He was away for 4 days and did all this and slept in the same clothes...underware and everything...didn't wash his hands or brush his teeth once. And all the other cubs were the same...the tents were disgusting!!:Eeek:
Anyway, I'm getting away from the point now.......:ROFLMAO:

Maddie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Ashford, Middlesex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We were there on New years eve a couple of years ago. Never again as it was soooo busy, had to queue for hours and it was cold and wet. The aire was full and we were parked on top of each other. Showers and toilets were very dirty.

Just my experience.

Kind regards

Maddie

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
What was this, for some reality TV show ?

I know, it's that Japanese Endurance show, the one where they stick rats down your underpants and see how long you go before passing out. Yes, that would be it.

Shame! You spoiled the surprise we have arranged for you! We were just practising cold weather motor homing at Disney last November ready for the new Year treat......

We've entered you in the European sector of that race held in January 2010 in Wrenbury. So better get buying those thermals to keep the rats warm. :roflmto:

Lucille

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
a few things to remember, you have a non winterised van so if temperatures are likely to drop below freezing drain your fresh and greywater tanks, leave the tap open and stick a bucket underneath, frozen ot not you can then pour it away. Don't forget to drain the water heater to protect the water jacket. Use bottled water. Heating of any sort should not be left on all night the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning is too great. Wrap up warm with many layers always have hot drinks before going to bed and not alcohol which reduces your body temperature. Don't forget to sequre your genny to the van with tamper proof lock and chain, an alarmed padlock is cheap enough these days.
Use good quality external screens and use a heavy curtain over the door and cab entrance.
Make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector fitted high and a gas leak detector low. (only a couple of coppers, hee hee)
can be done but whatever heating you use it will not keep the van warm only multi layers will do that.

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
. Wrap up warm with many layers always have hot drinks before going to bed and not alcohol which reduces your body temperature. Don't forget to sequre your genny to the van with tamper proof lock and chain, an alarmed padlock is cheap enough these days.
Use good quality external screens and use a heavy curtain over the door and cab entrance.
Make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector fitted high and a gas leak detector low. (only a couple of coppers, hee hee)
QUOTE]

Thanks.....what if the hot drink is alcohol?? Does that count as good or bad:ROFLMAO:

Will have to have a look for alarmed padlock......got a good chain to secure the gennie that I used to lock up my motorbike (insurance approved etc), although this weighs almost as much as a gennie!!

I just thought about external screens yesterday...anyone selling any cheap for a Transit??:winky:

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
HI when are you going we are going for new year and next month as well

We'll be there from boxing day until late on the 2nd Jan.
It'll be our first time in the van, although the place is like a second home to us, we usually take the car and stay in hotels.
See you there

DavidEJM

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Disney 2010

Wow, lots of people planning to go this year.

We are intending ot go over sometime in November and then for New Year. I've been away in the van in November before and didn't find it too bad, but I know the car park at Disney is very exposed and we're going to Egypt for Christmas so will feel the cold even more:RollEyes:

Is there a secret MH greeting I should know about to identify myself to other Funsters?:Cool:

Terry and Nicola

Free Member
Sep 8, 2008
Thornton
Funster No
MH
Exp
new year

HI to you all going for new year not been on this site before apart from last 3 days what about picking a row on the car park or a spot in the car park and we all try and meet any one up for it

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
c u there

we will be trying to park up in front of the coach drivers block as will use it as everyone else does , this will cut down on using our water etc
mh fun sticker front screen , wine/beer/j daniels on board

see you all there , be good to find out who exactly will be going xmas/new year

DavidEJM

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Well, apparently we are going on the 30th and coming back on the 2nd Jan.

Should make a change as we don't normally do much for New Year.

I'l keep an eye out for th funster stickers. Can I get one for too?

Oh, I found where to buy the sticker and have ordered one!! Cool!

Last edited:

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
we are going to disney setting off the 18th dec -22nd so i will try and relay some info back to you all before you set off:thumb:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
You did not mention what size gas bottles you have and how many .
Haganap is right take bottled water for drinking, the shower block will be open but you take your chance if it is clean or not, they do sometimes turn off the water in the bus park, the taps are by the fence, and there is a supermarket in the train station so you can buy essentials cos the disney shops only sell disney stuff if you dont take a genny you will have to run up the engine daily to top up the batteries .Dont leave heater on if you are not in the MH take plenty warm layers and as Lucille says water bottles.
and most of all ENJOY:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Last Christmas we used 2x 6kg gas bottles and didn't run out, we didn't leave heating on during the day.
The showers and toilets were fine especially if you use them at 8am as they will have just been cleaned & they usually get another clean late afternoon. The water taps by the fence will be turned off but the sink just outside the toilet block will still be in use.If the weather is relly cold and you are worried about the waste freezing there is a grill drain running along part of the car park , if you position yourself carefully you can leave the waste open to drain into it.
Hope you all have a wonderful time I am quite envious.
Hilary

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back