Jun 15, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Auto-sleeper Symbol
Exp
Started adventure Sept 2015
Hi All,
We purchased Archie, our low pro Ace Airstream after suffering too much cramp in our VW T5 camper☹️!! This was last Sept. We've had great fun and spent a few trips out in UK and locally to us in Dorset (live in the Purbecks). We are due to travel to France on the 30th June and just reading a few threads has worried the pants off me!!! Feel tad naive but we're going to a weighbridge on Saturday and I feel I'm not au fait with what goes on etc. If anyone can give any tips re the 'weigh in' and also France it would be greatly appreciated Got to crack on with work now but thanks in advance for reading this.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome! I'm not entirely sure what your concern is because I suspect the overwhelming majority of MH owners have never been near a weighbridge and a perfectly happy with that.

If you do want to dig deeper you need to look for a plate on the vehicle which will show the maximum weight, possibly 3500 kg but I haven't looked up your model, then there should be two other figures which will be the front and rear axle limits. These will probably add up to more than the first figure but that is normal. The overall total must not exceed the first figure and no axle limit should be exceeded either. Then there should be a fourth figure which is the maximum train weight or the weight including a trailer. You can probably ignore this. The plate you want will probably carry the converter's name on it, there may also be one for the base vehicle but generally you can ignore this one unless there isn't another plate.

Now load up your vehicle as if going away and find a local weighbridge, ideally one which is free! Get them to weigh the complete vehicle and then if possible each axle separately but if they will only do one that's not a problem. Just take the axle weight you have from the total to get the other axle figure.

You can then compare the readings with the figures on your plate. Probably best to publish what you find on here so folk can advise better.

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
I have been to 2 types of weighbridge. Our local one involves speaking to the operator first and saying that you want both axles weighed. They will signal when to drive on each time. After that they provide a ticket detailing weights. Cost £6.
The other type was just drive on with each axle and the weight is displayed each time. Write these down. Drive off. Cost - free.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We are from Poole......what's a weighbridge ? ::bigsmile:
Too scared to try one.

All joking aside we have travelled to France quite a lot, driving is easy, keep an eye on the speed limits, buy All the Aires from vicarious books and remember the shops do not stay open late like ours .......got caught out a few times. Enjoy

freddy

Free Member
Oct 7, 2014
blackpool
Funster No
MH
Laika eco vip
Exp
since 2006
Just been to the weighbridge with the Fiat 2.8 Laika 4.1 plated by laika at 3.5 had all camping gear in but no passenger food or clothes £5.20 for printed slip separate axels weighed in at 3.4. 100 kgs to play with,straight on the phone to S V Tech paper exercise to plate up to 3.850 for 260.00 or fit rear air suspension to upgrade to 4.250 john

Reactions: DBK
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Not sure if we are sad or the exception, but do check weight a couple of times a year, perhaps because we have a free weighbridge reasonably close. So far with both vans have been ok, sometimes not much to spare though.
France is great, roads easy to drive on and drivers usually forgiving of errors. They tend to toot like mad but let you make the move. Another vote for the aires book. Speed cameras often plced just after increase in road seed so be careful if you tend to speed up in anticipation. The wine is good too.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Hi All,
We purchased Archie, our low pro Ace Airstream after suffering too much cramp in our VW T5 camper☹️!! This was last Sept. We've had great fun and spent a few trips out in UK and locally to us in Dorset (live in the Purbecks). We are due to travel to France on the 30th June and just reading a few threads has worried the pants off me!!! Feel tad naive but we're going to a weighbridge on Saturday and I feel I'm not au fait with what goes on etc. If anyone can give any tips re the 'weigh in' and also France it would be greatly appreciated Got to crack on with work now but thanks in advance for reading this.
Watcha

If your worried load it up with what you need for trip
Then weigh it look out for mr police man on route!!!

Alternatively weigh it first then weigh everything going on or in

Including fluids whisky wine water to wash and tea to drink
Don't forget the black and grey tank

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Don't worry about France until last week we where French newbies and where very nervous about the trip as soon as we had done our first roundabout and toll booth we wondered what we where concerned about .we never saw any trouble at the tunnel and the French people could not have been more helpful ,so go and enjoy your trip and forget any worries you have if I can do it anyone can(y)

OP
OP
M
Jun 15, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Auto-sleeper Symbol
Exp
We are from Poole......what's a weighbridge ? ::bigsmile:
Too scared to try one.

All joking aside we have travelled to France quite a lot, driving is easy, keep an eye on the speed limits, buy All the Aires from vicarious books and remember the shops do not stay open late like ours .......got caught out a few times. Enjoy

OP
OP
M
Jun 15, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Auto-sleeper Symbol
Exp
Lol! Thanks for reply and advice Actually driven in France a few times and much better than here!!

OP
OP
M
Jun 15, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Auto-sleeper Symbol
Exp
Welcome! I'm not entirely sure what your concern is because I suspect the overwhelming majority of MH owners have never been near a weighbridge and a perfectly happy with that.

If you do want to dig deeper you need to look for a plate on the vehicle which will show the maximum weight, possibly 3500 kg but I haven't looked up your model, then there should be two other figures which will be the front and rear axle limits. These will probably add up to more than the first figure but that is normal. The overall total must not exceed the first figure and no axle limit should be exceeded either. Then there should be a fourth figure which is the maximum train weight or the weight including a trailer. You can probably ignore this. The plate you want will probably carry the converter's name on it, there may also be one for the base vehicle but generally you can ignore this one unless there isn't another plate.

Now load up your vehicle as if going away and find a local weighbridge, ideally one which is free! Get them to weigh the complete vehicle and then if possible each axle separately but if they will only do one that's not a problem. Just take the axle weight you have from the total to get the other axle figure.

You can then compare the readings with the figures on your plate. Probably best to publish what you find on here so folk can advise better.

OP
OP
M
Jun 15, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Auto-sleeper Symbol
Exp
Many thanks for input. Shall look forward to the experience on Saturday and spreading the word

OP
OP
M
Jun 15, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Auto-sleeper Symbol
Exp
Don't worry about France until last week we where French newbies and where very nervous about the trip as soon as we had done our first roundabout and toll booth we wondered what we where concerned about .we never saw any trouble at the tunnel and the French people could not have been more helpful ,so go and enjoy your trip and forget any worries you have if I can do it anyone can(y)

OP
OP
M
Jun 15, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Auto-sleeper Symbol
Exp

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back