Fantastic place to visit in Portugal (1 Viewer)

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
image.jpeg
We have just spent the morning at Bacalhoa Buddha Eden which is just south of Obidos. It is the largest oriental garden in Europe and was initially created by Comendador Jose Berado in response to the destruction of the great Afghan Buddha statues of Bamiyan. Approx 6000 tonnes of granite and marble statues were commissioned in China to create this monumental homage to peace. As well as the vast Buddhas, pagodas and terracotta warriors there is a modern and contemporary sculpture garden and my personal favourite which is the African sculpture garden which is dedicated to the Shona people of Zimbabwe. It only cost €3 each to enter the beautiful grounds which include a large koi carp pond and beautiful plants, shrubs and trees. It is by far my favourite place in Portugal so far and as you exit there is the winery shop with a huge selection of Bacalhoa wines starting from only €2 a bottle. The huge car park will take even the biggest motorhomes.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I like the one with all the hands. A smaller version on the dashboard would sort out the "waving" dilemma once and for all. :)

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
I like the one with all the hands. A smaller version on the dashboard would sort out the "waving" dilemma once and for all. :)
Amazing place isn't it. We had to back track to visit it as we were in Vila Franca last night but well worth it. Now off to the barragem at Pego do Altar! Have been following your travels with interest although some of your routes wouldn't do for poor old Herman!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Fantastic place @Coolbeanz will put it on my endless list of where to go next. Thanks for posting. (y)

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Sorry JJ we have left and are now near Pego do Altar barragem.
Hi you two. We met you with Zoppydog in Goa and had a great day on the beach, remember.
I see you are in Portugal, one of our favourite places. Obidos is real nice.
Our travels have been curtailed somewhat, Gill has broken her ankle getting out of our van, ironicly. We Hope to resume soon.
Gill and Phil

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Hi you two. We met you with Zoppydog in Goa and had a great day on the beach, remember.
I see you are in Portugal, one of our favourite places. Obidos is real nice.
Our travels have been curtailed somewhat, Gill has broken her ankle getting out of our van, ironicly. We Hope to resume soon.
Gill and Phil
And what a great day it was. Sorry to hear about Gill, hope she recovers quickly! We have already booked Goa flights 6th November to 19th March!! Are you going back?

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
WE are going somewhere as yet dont know where, could be Goa again but I fancy Cuba.
Phil
We spent our honeymoon in Cuba, on the Cayos. Fantastic!! We flew to Havana for the day which was amazing. We have been back twice more it was so good. All 3 times in June and had fantastic weather.

Apr 23, 2015
berkshire
Funster No
MH
autocruise gleneagle
Exp
since 2005
Hi Coolbeanz! is there a good campsite nearby ?- looks really worth seeing.... but we prefer to park up and either cycle, walk or public transport around....

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Hi Coolbeanz! is there a good campsite nearby ?- looks really worth seeing.... but we prefer to park up and either cycle, walk or public transport around....
I don't know as we stayed at a site near Lisbon and drove there. They had a massive car parking space that would make a good camperstop, I was tempted to suggest it to them :D

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Have you ever considered one of those solar Chinese waving cats, available for peanuts in Benidorm ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back