Gamping ?! Private Land Camping At Low Cost (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
This looks interesting as another option to those currently available https://www.gamping.com/ Very few locations in the UK so far but lots in France. To be better than the free aires & France Passion they need to offer more than just a pitch but local knowledge & other amenities might make some worthwhile?

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Looks like it's free to join & list your land (at the moment) so anyone tempted to add themselves to host motorhomes for a little bit of extra income? It works like Justpark driveway parking where you list at a price you set & Gamping.com add on there fees for the person booking you pay "Gamping receives a fee of € 3 for reservations less than or equal to 20 € and 15% for bookings above 20 €. This is due by Camper and added to the price set by the GDS for each property." The land owner can review each booking request & accept or decline to suit themselves. Sure this idea will be a little controversial on here :imoutahere:like Justpark has been but may suit some.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 11, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Don't Own One Yet
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Sounds like the same business model as AirBnB... free to list and they take 3%. It even look like the same website... just ported to 'the great outdoors'. Even property owners are called 'hosts'
I was looking to list our apartment in Spain for a little extra income but the wife wouldn't have 'any old riff raff stay' LOL!!
Wish I had some land now... great idea.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Looks like it's free to join & list your land (at the moment)
So these are people who have no caravan site licence, no camping licence and no planning permission. Might work overseas where the legislation is different but unlikely here, especially if they start to take business away from existing sites/CLs :)

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
AirBnB for camping... great idea
Looks like it started off as Gamping.fr so trialled in France (looks like it's working :)) & now being promoted to UK travel journalists & causing a bit of interest on Facebook.
Fun already has the forum on Motorhome Housesitting http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/forums/motorhome-house-sitting/ which has had some success with the advantage that sitters don't need any or full access to the house if basic facilities provided & can just use the driveway whilst offering their services so benefits both parties with no money having to change hands. Gamping, although paid for, is another way to travel & stay on a budget. The most interesting part for us is having hosts who would know the area & hopefully be able to offer advice.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Looks like a great idea surprised no one on here has discovered it before only downside is you need to book and have the host approve the booking. Wouldn't work for us as we don't do planning.
If it wasn't for our stuck up planning attitude it could work well in the UK a good alternative to CL's & CS's which are more suitable for caravans.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
So these are people who have no caravan site licence, no camping licence and no planning permission. Might work overseas where the legislation is different but unlikely here, especially if they start to take business away from existing sites/CLs :)
Those with CL licenses might find this a useful extra way to advertise & gain business as they would not necessarily be undercut by this. If they offer extra facilities & services but are more expensive they could still gain business. Don't think those that like campsites would be tempted away to stay in someones garden!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Those with CL licenses might find this a useful extra way to advertise & gain business as they would not necessarily be undercut by this. If they offer extra facilities & services but are more expensive they could still gain business. Don't think those that like campsites would be tempted away to stay in someones garden!
The point is that, in the UK, landowners can not provide such services without the necessary licence/exemption (unless, in the case of caravans/motorhomes, they restrict usage to one unit at a time and for no more than 28 days in any 12 month period).
Most CL/CS owners are restricted (by their agreement with their exempting organisation) to members only so have nothing to gain by joining such a scheme.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
The point is that, in the UK, landowners can not provide such services without the necessary licence/exemption (unless, in the case of caravans/motorhomes, they restrict usage to one unit at a time and for no more than 28 days in any 12 month period).
Thank you for clarifying this - so no problem for anyone wanting to allow Gamping if just one motorhome & for that limited period. Not ideal if there is more demand than that but at least it isn't illegal :)
Most CL/CS owners are restricted (by their agreement with their exempting organisation) to members only so have nothing to gain by joining such a scheme.
There are, I understand, some organisations who do allow CL owners to accommodate non members too so if CL owners move to those then sure the other clubs would have to rethink their policies. Just because that is how it is now doesn't mean things can't change especially with the number of motorhomers growing year on year.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Sounds like the same business model as Airbnb... free to list and they take 3%. It even look like the same website... just ported to 'the great outdoors'. Even property owners are called 'hosts'
I was looking to list our apartment in Spain for a little extra income but the wife wouldn't have 'any old riff raff stay' LOL!!
It may well be linked as one of the founding members described it as "Airbnb for camping" on a web article. With such backing don't think this is an idea that is going to go away!
Sure there are some Funsters who would look after your apartment in Spain?!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thank you for clarifying this - so no problem for anyone wanting to allow Gamping if just one motorhome & for that limited period. Not ideal if there is more demand than that but at least it isn't illegal :)
Quite right, it wouldn't be illegal but people might find themselves in bother if they didn't understand the law.
There are, I understand, some organisations who do allow CL owners to accommodate non members too so if CL owners move to those then sure the other clubs would have to rethink their policies. Just because that is how it is now doesn't mean things can't change especially with the number of motorhomers growing year on year.
Yes, the MCC and Motorhome Fun allow non-member use. The practical problem is that the CC and C&CC have far more sites signed up (some of whom actually prefer to have a members only policy) and it would take a massive effort to persuade them to go through the process of scrapping their existing arrangement and moving to another, even with the number of motorhomes growing. It is highly unlikely that any legislative changes will be made in the foreseeable future.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Be aware that the Hacienda are trawling air bnb for any Spanish owners & checking whether they are declaring any income for tax. Caught loads up in Barcelona by all accounts.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
When I mentioned Gamping to our teenage son his guess of what it is wasn't Garden Camping :eek: so probably best to clarify that it's not anything else!

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Mr Womble just found the app, works well & looks great for France (y):D

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
I installed the Android Gamping App never received the activation email despite 5 requests sent a email to support and did not receive a reply to that, tried with a different email address and did not receive an activation email to that either, so I have given up on Gamping.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I installed the Android Gamping App never received the activation email despite 5 requests sent a email to support and did not receive a reply to that, tried with a different email address and did not receive an activation email to that either, so I have given up on Gamping.
Havnt tried it on android, but just signed up on iPad and the email was imedeiate

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I have signed up using Firefox on Windows and everything has gone smoothly (y)

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
New UK version Wildpoint now going live https://wildpoint.com/

1627203861785.png

which is worth a watch - it would be great if this could really take off in the UK - I'm following their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/wildpointofficial to see how this progresses & if any tempting locations suitable for motorhomes :)

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Talk about taking the pee, charging £25 to £90 a night to park with no facilities.
Remember Lenny this is the UK! :roflmto:
Looks like not all functions are working yet but looking at the team behind Wildpoint & the publicity they are getting online still think it's one to watch.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
just did a quick all types for August and appears to around £20 per night but mostly suitable for tents

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Has anyone looked at/booked with HomeCamper (homecamper.com) ?
Looks interesting, same format as Gamping (which said my connection wasn't secure).
Only 40 in UK but plenty further afield. Another option to consider. Can never have too many options ;)
PS loving these old resurrected threads
Karen

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Has anyone looked at/booked with HomeCamper (homecamper.com) ?
Looks interesting, same format as Gamping (which said my connection wasn't secure).
Only 40 in UK but plenty further afield. Another option to consider. Can never have too many options ;)
PS loving these old resurrected threads
Karen
HomeCamper ( also see https://www.facebook.com/HomeCamper ) is the newish name for Gamping website (they rebranded) - looks good & know it's well used for Europe but with so few UK listings not all suitable for motorhomes it's not really taken off here since when we first posted 5 years ago. Hoping that Wildpoint have the team & resources (looks like they do) to finally really get this way of camping going.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back