Chanonry point dolphin question (1 Viewer)

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
Hi everyone

It says the best time to see the dolphins in this area is two hours after low water, so just to make sure I am on the right page, if my Inverness tide book says low water is IE.10.00, the dolphins should make an appearance around 12.00ish.
I know these animals are wild and nothing is certain but if we are in the right place at the right time it's going to help.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we have just randomly turned up three times and seen them every time, that said every one of those was early evening, with local fish chips from shop in village before the point, both now part of our trips (y)

But I have read the same as you ref low water and would agree you have the sums right, might just be better if low water is early evening

we have seen up to 50 really close to the point on one trip, not so many on others but always seen at least 10 jumps out of the water, well maybe not full jumps, but heads right out at least :), but all within about 1/2 hour, my attention span is not great (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Tezza

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
Are the viewings an AYR thing or just certain months of the year?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We've seen them :) I don't know what the state of the tide was but a local guy was very disinterested when we pointed them out. Said they were there most days........

You can also see them from the Nigg ferry.

Deleted User
We've seen them :) I don't know what the state of the tide was but a local guy was very disinterested when we pointed them out. Said they were there most days........

You can also see them from the Nigg ferry.

If you can afford it!!!.......costs a fortune.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Go as a foot passenger :)

When we used to do the Outer Hebrides prior to the RET I think it was hundreds of pounds for the Stornoway to Ullapool route so the Nigg ferry was cheap11

Deleted User
I saw them approx. 2 hours before full tide. As long as the tide is coming in then is a chance of seeing them because the dolphins are waiting there for the salmon to swim up river which tends to be on an incoming tide.
What amazed me was how close they were to the shoreline, I was expecting to need binoculars to see them but they are often just 20 - 30 yards out.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
If you can afford it!!!.......costs a fortune.

Hey, it's £60 return to the supermarket from here (taxi as there is no bus and I am still waiting for the DVLA to confirm I am okay to drive). Last time I had stuff delivered it was £12 and most of it went back as it was at it's use by date or an unsuitable substitute. I'm guessing most things are more expensive if you live more rurally.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
A couple of years ago we spent 3 nights at the nearby CCC site and went looking for the dolphins each day at the 'right' time - didn't see a single one!!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I hadn't realised it wasn't running. Sorry for the poor information.

Deleted User
I hadn't realised it wasn't running. Sorry for the poor information.

Neither did I until I googled, apparently last year the previous operator was having problems with the berth at Cromarty.

In March the Highland council were asking for tenders to operate this Summer but I don't know the outcome.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
I was just there last week, on the CCC site. Went to the point at the "right" time (yes, about 2 hours after low tide), and saw a few. They were a bit lethargic though, must have eaten their fill.
The next day there were apparently loads, all leaping about like,er, dolphins.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Nigg Ferry is no longer working. The Dolphins appear when the tides on the turn and at Chanonry Point they will appear in the channel about 3m from the beach. You can take bino's as they sometime appear over by Fort George.

We go there for a walk along from Rosemarkie along the beach with George (the Pointer), there is a campsite there too with very good views, though we haven't stayed there as it's not far from where we live.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Neither did I until I googled, apparently last year the previous operator was having problems with the berth at Cromarty.

In March the Highland council were asking for tenders to operate this Summer but I don't know the outcome.

Last time we were there we knocked the exhaust on the van. Not a real problem but the ramps can / could be steep depending on the tide.

Feb 9, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
IH Oregon R
Exp
Luckily only time used it was driving a Navara as vw golf and Audi A5 that went of ferry before me were damaged golf was cosmetic but Audi was terminal as sump bust and exhaust wrecked.

Deleted User
Nigg Ferry is no longer working. The Dolphins appear when the tides on the turn and at Chanonry Point they will appear in the channel about 3m from the beach. You can take bino's as they sometime appear over by Fort George.

We go there for a walk along from Rosemarkie along the beach with George (the Pointer), there is a campsite there too with very good views, though we haven't stayed there as it's not far from where we live.

Brother in Law lives above Beauly, we usually spend a week in August there and usually have a walk from Rosemarkie past the site to the point, that's about as far as I can manage these days. The site is in a beautiful location but we always have accomodation close by so have never used it. Love the area.:)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We saw them within a few metres of the beach. We also saw them from the MH windows, swimming in the middle of the estuary, whilst occupying a front row pitch at Rosemarie CCC site.

Good luck - Gordon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back