Free Member
Dec 24, 2014
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Chausson 620
Exp
April 2016
Telephoned Stoke on Trent Council today, asking where the Public Weighbridge was these days (hoping to calculate accurate tyre pressures from axle weights) and was told "Browns" (local recycling & skip hire) was the public weighbridge.

After all of two minutes weighing total, front and rear axle weight I was given the bill of £72. (£20 x 3 + VAT)

Is it me? Or does anyone else think this is over the top, cost-wise?

John G.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Sounds like you've been shafted to me , dont like saying it though , will leave more experienced members to have a say .

OP
OP
J

John Giblin

Free Member
Dec 24, 2014
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Chausson 620
Exp
April 2016
Following a "heated discussion" I paid half, £36... still robbery IMHO. - We live & learn. lol.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Ours in Lancing is open 24 hours a day and is free. We used it for the first time last week and found we had 100kg left to play with. We didn't have our electric bikes which are 44kg for the two of them or the new awning which is 25 kg. We did have a full tank of water and everything else we needed for a weekend away. We really have got to be careful in future.

Being fairly newish to motor homing I just wondered if many people get stopped and checked. Not that we are going to overload on purpose but wondered what the penalty is if we should be slightly over.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Telephoned Stoke on Trent Council today, asking where the Public Weighbridge was these days (hoping to calculate accurate tyre pressures from axle weights) and was told "Browns" (local recycling & skip hire) was the public weighbridge.

After all of two minutes weighing total, front and rear axle weight I was given the bill of £72. (£20 x 3 + VAT)

John G.
That is totally disgraceful!!! We used to pay £10 at the one in Uttoxeter including printout. Unfortunately it's closed now. I would get back on to S-o-T council and report this.

RitaG

Free Member
Jan 26, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
We recently used our local public weigh bridge and got charged £30.00 for a print out which is just the size of a till receipt. If we wanted both axels weighed it would have been another £60.00 so decided against that.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
£5 at a private scrap dealers a few miles from where we live. That is to do all four wheels first, then the back axle only - and I get a print-out. (Cash of course!)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Ours is free to weigh front, back and total.
£5 for a print-out which I can't help but think is pointless as it only says what you weighed-in at on the day, at a specific time, nothing to do with when you actually set out on the road - and this changes all the time with use of fuel/ addition of shopping etc, so can't be of any value as a defence to anything, can it?
Can anybody tell me why a printout is useful please?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
In my case the print-out is 'as we set off' since we visit the weighbridge when we leave for the ferry. We don't get the van weighed every time of course, but by keeping the tickets and making a note of the state of loading on them, it gives us a good idea of what we can carry without risking overloading.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We pay £5 at the one in Market Harborough and the print put has the weights on it - overall and front and back axle.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
In my case the print-out is 'as we set off' since we visit the weighbridge when we leave for the ferry. We don't get the van weighed every time of course, but by keeping the tickets and making a note of the state of loading on them, it gives us a good idea of what we can carry without risking overloading.
I agree it's very sensible to keep a record but if some places are charging extra just for a print-out (£5 isn't too bad, some are much more) isn't a hand-written note in a journal -- where everything loaded could be added as well - just as useful?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

John G.
If you want an accurate reading then scales will require regular service and calibration, this don't come cheap. £20 for this service sounds a fair price.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I agree it's very sensible to keep a record but if some places are charging extra just for a print-out (£5 isn't too bad, some are much more) isn't a hand-written note in a journal -- where everything loaded could be added as well - just as useful?
The cost for using their weighbridge is £5 and so the print-out is, in effect, FOC.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Thamesdown Recycling on the A419 near Cricklade charged me £5 two years ago. That was for weighing the front axle and then the whole unit. The printout showed "tare" weight as the front axle, "total" as the whole MH and calculated the "load" as the difference IE rear axle.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I drove past our local one on Sunday on the way back from the tip and saw that it was £10.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Our local listed weighbridge, owned and operated by a local aggregate supplier, charges £7.50 for two measurements, front / back / total, customers choice. I also thought that to be listed as a "public weighbridge" the charge had to be agreed with the local authority and be reasonable.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
A local quarry with clean access & a clean weighbridge charged me nothing. They said if I wanted a print I'd need to book in at the office (as though I was collecting a load) so I was handed a hand-written note. It isn't a 'Public Weighbridge' and it seems that its linked in with the quarry computer system - hence the explanation about the ticket.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We use a 'public' weigh bridge at Copdock Mill on the southern edge of Ipswich (just off the A12). It is a company site but is listed as public.
We weigh the total vehicle then reverse the rear off and weigh the front axle.
An A4 printout of the total and separate axle weights is supplied, total cost £8.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
The cost for using their weighbridge is £5 and so the print-out is, in effect, FOC.
Would be silly not to, then.
I was thinking of those that charge extra for the print-out like ours does; sounds as though some are a bit costly.
Totally agree though that keeping some sort of a record, linked with what's been loaded up, is a very good idea.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Does anybody know the price of a weighbridge to install and keep it maintained???????????????????????????????
Even so £10 is more than reasonable for each weigh.
HGV's cost a fortune to buy and maintain but it's the rice they deliver is not £30 a bag.
The weigh bridge has a long life and weighs hundreds of thousands of vehicles so overall are not expensive for the purpose.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Our waste recycling plant in notloB charges £13.40 per weigh so it's a bit expensive for three weighs, front, rear, total.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
When I was a weigh bridge operator it was only £3 per weight ticket.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
One of our local Companies has a weigh bridge for bulk deliveries etc.

They allow motorhome owners to weigh their vehicles, front and back axle and all axles free of charge. Owners usually make a donation, a box of biscuits for the weigh bridge operator's tea break in our case.

Very friendly and supportive of the local community.(y)

Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
Front,back and together with printout. £5-00 in Lincoln. Nearly pay for your diesel to come down to visit Mike. ps Will bring that missing part to Misterton

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I think you will find its a lot cheaper than the fine for being overloaded.

Weighbridge will need regular calibration, that will not be cheap.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back