Nov 17, 2014
essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner aviano i727
Exp
2 years
Hi folks
We are thinking of going to Trogir Croatia in early September but we only have 16 days holiday left.
Could anyone advise us if we are are pushing it a bit in trying to go this far?

Cheers

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
We went as far as Dubrovnik last September, as Trogir is nearer it will be OK, we went for 3 weeks and took six days to get there and then meandered back. We really enjoyed Trogir but it is busy and if you want to stay close to the town you may need to book the site as it was full when we tried so stayed a few miles out which is fine as we have scooters!
It was a fantastic trip and we would certainly return to see more of the beautiful countryside
Chris

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We have been there a few times now and it is three or four good days driving (300-400miles per day) if you can afford 6 or 7 days driving then go for it. We normally go around the Istrian coast. Good luck and enjoy it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

?

Deleted User
Two days of 8 hours driving (est) do you share the driving? If not i would spit that to three days, so six traveling and 10 for you jolly seems OK.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Only another 200 miles to the border from lake Garda so doable in 3 days each way but quite a hard slog. We used to take 3 days to get to Garda and back in 2 days with a caravan, a lot easier in a Motorhome.
We are looking at going to Croatia in September but we have 8 weeks.:)

OP
OP
W

westy407

Free Member
Nov 17, 2014
essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner aviano i727
Exp
2 years
Thanks for your help everyone.

We do share the driving, but I've just looked on Google maps and it says 1150 miles from Calais which is looking like we need to find another week from somewhere !!

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
@westy407 We've visited Trogir and as far as Dubrovnik in the last 7 weeks, but we've found Istria to be nicer and closer too if you only have 16 days.

If you have a couple of hours to spare, read my thread 'Cliffandger Grand Tour' to give you some idea about Croatia! (y)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
16 days is plenty of time we came back in 3 days last year. 1 day to Garda 1 day to Thann 1 day to Calais just do it in reverse gives you 10 days in Croatia. We stayed in Camping Strobec in Strobec and travelled in and out on our motorbike but I do believe there is a bus from the campsite to Trogir, but you'd need to check.

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We normally do it in three days but go the Belgium Germany route (no tolls and all motorway). Going there we stop first night just N of Frankfurt (Limburg an der Lahn), second night S of Munich on the Chiemsee (Camping Chiemsee Rodlgries). Then do it in reverse on the way home.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I believe that it is doable. As a comparison, I drove from near Split to the Italian / Swiss border (Lake Como), departing Split area around 2pm and driving almost non-stop until 1am with only a quick stop for fuel. I could have driven to Calais in 12 hours from there.

On our way down, we took 4/5 days getting there staying near Metz (France), Lake Konstance (Germany), Italy, near Lake Bled (Slovenia).

If you have the chance, go to Bosnia - it is fascinating.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
When we are going to a specific destination we like to average 400 miles a day.
Woman does not drive but I just love it and actually find it very relaxing
We have done Garda in a day on bikes and in a Smart car, but would proly take 2 days in the van..
Croatia is not to be missed !
It is a wonderful country and the people are absolutely fantastic.
I THINK we have done 21 countries so have seen an awful lot of places
We have been to Croatia a few times now and still rate it as the best European destination ( so far )

OP
OP
W

westy407

Free Member
Nov 17, 2014
essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner aviano i727
Exp
2 years
Thanks again for the help

I will definitely give it read Cliffandger,
Istria sounds like a good suggestion it's as you say just that little bit closer.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
When we are going to a specific destination we like to average 400 miles a day.
Woman does not drive but I just love it and actually find it very relaxing
We have done Garda in a day on bikes and in a Smart car, but would proly take 2 days in the van..
Croatia is not to be missed !
It is a wonderful country and the people are absolutely fantastic.
I THINK we have done 21 countries so have seen an awful lot of places
We have been to Croatia a few times now and still rate it as the best European destination ( so far )

Interesting perspective. I wasn't enamoured - maybe the people we came across were jaded with tourists but we didn't feel particularly welcome when we went in 2007. We enjoyed Bosnia far more.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Hi , never went quite as far as Trogir but, have driven to Krk and Porec a few times, always avoid toll roads and vingette in Austria, go via Radstatt,Munich ,Tamsweg, Klugenfart, Lubijana then on to the Istrian area, distance 1200 mls approx. do-able in 2-3 days depends how long you want to drive each day !! well worth doing, btw not much quicker or shorter useing the toll roads approx 60 miles between the routes but no tolls let you see much more.
Enjoy whatever you choose

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Interesting perspective. I wasn't enamoured - maybe the people we came across were jaded with tourists but we didn't feel particularly welcome when we went in 2007. We enjoyed Bosnia far more.
Just goes to show its all luck really.. We could not wait to get out of Bosnia !

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Thanks again for the help

I will definitely give it read Cliffandger,
Istria sounds like a good suggestion it's as you say just that little bit closer.
Istria is indeed the closest part but you are missing the best bit if you dont go to Dubrovnik, Split, Trogir and Ston (the great wall of Europe). Well worth the extra bit.
Phil

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Istria is indeed the closest part but you are missing the best bit if you dont go to Dubrovnik, Split, Trogir and Ston (the great wall of Europe). Well worth the extra bit.
Phil

Would have to agree Istria is nice but for us the coast road and its spectacular views are what makes Croatia special.
The people were very friendly especially once you get talking to them. As someone else said they don't do please or thank you so can appear surly but a bit of interaction and you'll meet really nice people.
One of our favourite countries.:)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Go for it if you want to go there. we have only had one 2 week hol in 25 years (a couple of 10 days all the rest 1 week) as we work for ourselves. Last year did well over 2k miles in a week southern rhone and back tiring but worth it. Would love 16 days!!!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi folks
We are thinking of going to Trogir Croatia in early September but we only have 16 days holiday left.
Could anyone advise us if we are are pushing it a bit in trying to go this far?

Cheers
Two hours flying time should do it........;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back