LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
OK, so I was washing the van a few weeks ago and during the washing, I realised that the weight plate was only a sticker. I'd only glanced at it for years but thought it was metal. Actually, I didn't think about it until it came off. Unfortunately it was also a fine spring/summer day. Brilliant at one stage then wind, thunderstorms, hail, snow etc. Anyway, I noticed it had become detached and I picked it up and put it on one side. Course, didn't stay there so lost. I emailed a friend who sent me his but blanked to put my numbers in. I also contacted Hymer to see if I could get a replacement. I was imminently going to use the blanked out one when I got a letter from Hymer. I hadn't had a response from them by e mail except their automatic response. Lo and behold the correct weight plate had arrived. AND THE INVOICE!!!!! €89.00
OK, its the proper plate (or rather sticker) but goodness me. £70.00 for a sticker?????
I emailed my friend who wanted one foir his van and he said he'll find a local printer. Before I put mine on, I'll source a printer who will copy it identically and have it as a spare, just in case.
Alternatively, I'll get a gold one and have it professionally etched and I bet its still cheaper.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Alko provided my plate AND certificate of conformity free of charge via Swift motorhomes when Swift were members of fun before subs were introduced.

Alko put the weight at 3500kg when it was in fact 3850kg.

OP
OP
EX51SSS

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Alko provided my plate AND certificate of conformity free of charge via Swift motorhomes when Swift were members of fun before subs were introduced.

Alko put the weight at 3500kg when it was in fact 3850kg.
So pretty pointless having it free if it was a work of fiction. Unless I worded incorrectly, I wasn't rejoicing in the fact how much it cost me or my unfortunate experience of losing it just to say that I thought it was a tad expensive at €89 for a bit of plasticy type paper and sticky back plastic. Perhaps its me but that's nearly half a days pay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
you used to be able to buy aluminium plates from sellers on ebay. stamp in the right numbers and pop rivet in place

OP
OP
EX51SSS

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
you used to be able to buy aluminium plates from sellers on ebay. stamp in the right numbers and pop rivet in place
Quite but the operatative word being used to. I thought it was metal possibly aluminum and possibly glued on as number plates are to save drilling into bodywork.
In saying that, I'll scour sites to see if I can get an aluminium one made. Thank you.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Am I reading right that it is simply a blank plastic stick on 'plate' if so I fully understand your annoyance, had it been remade with your MH details it would have made more sense, but still a lot

However having had to pay Hymer well over £1000 for my headlight and nearly £40 for a replacement cover for the towing eye and best

£69 for a replacement clock that doesn't even fit, but Hymer say I should be grateful they have sourced a replacement for the obsolete clock, oblivious to my 'it doesn't fit in the bloody hole', at least on that one I got a full refund from the dealer

As you didn't actually order the plate (you might need to re-read your original words to Hymer) I would copy it first, then return it with the invoice as unordered / unwanted

OP
OP
EX51SSS

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Am I reading right that it is simply a blank plastic stick on 'plate' if so I fully understand your annoyance, had it been remade with your MH details it would have made more sense, but still a lot

However having had to pay Hymer well over £1000 for my headlight and nearly £40 for a replacement cover for the towing eye and best

£69 for a replacement clock that doesn't even fit, but Hymer say I should be grateful they have sourced a replacement for the obsolete clock, oblivious to my 'it doesn't fit in the bloody hole', at least on that one I got a full refund from the dealer

As you didn't actually order the plate (you might need to re-read your original words to Hymer) I would copy it first, then return it with the invoice as unordered / unwanted
Sorry David, no its a proper plate albeit a bit of plastic. Its just a friend with the same model sent a picture of his plate with his vans identification number blanked. I could fill it in and put a bit of sellotape over it and I would have done. He even told me how the numbers were spaced in the different areas.
I didn't need to look at my letter as I definitely requested one if they could supply, however I did think they'd have replied before sending. Ah well, its only money.
:(

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
But is it at least filled in with your details?

I suspect that like me this kind of charge puts you off buying another Hymer when the next one is due

as you say, it is only money, possibly a legal requirement, just be careful with your headlights :ROFLMAO::)(y)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry David, no its a proper plate albeit a bit of plastic. Its just a friend with the same model sent a picture of his plate with his vans identification number blanked. I could fill it in and put a bit of sellotape over it and I would have done. He even told me how the numbers were spaced in the different areas.
I didn't need to look at my letter as I definitely requested one if they could supply, however I did think they'd have replied before sending. Ah well, its only money.
:(
When you sell your van on the 'new' plate may look suspicious if not original so we would probably put on the Hymer plate . Even though it is ridiculously overpriced .

OP
OP
EX51SSS

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
But is it at least filled in with your details?

I suspect that like me this kind of charge puts you off buying another Hymer when the next one is due

as you say, it is only money, possibly a legal requirement, just be careful with your headlights :ROFLMAO::)(y)
Yes absolutely true and also a legal requirement that's why I contacted Hymer. Just a point though? Headlights? On my model they are standard Fiat Ducato and have headlight protectors and beam deflectors stuck on in designated place. However, will try and source a printer that can duplicate it at a much cheaper price. Also thinking to enclose it in a type of frame. I need to find out where the plate is required, by law to be.

OP
OP
EX51SSS

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
When you sell your van on the 'new' plate may look suspicious if not original so we would probably put on the Hymer plate . Even though it is ridiculously overpriced .
Totally agree. I'm not paying that much to leave it off. Thank you

OP
OP
EX51SSS

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Very good idea and I will contact them but mine is a plastic plate that's stuck oin with sticky backed plastic but that would be a good idea for the boot albeit not Hymer original. Thank you for finding them.

When you upgrade via SV Tech. All you get is a silver stick on plate. So don't think there are any issues and no actual requirement to be a pressed metal or plastic plate.

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
When i had my previous van weight uprated by v-tech the chassis number was wrong on the sticker due to the incorrect number on the V5 due to a mistake either by the supplying dealer or the DVLA.
Although not v-techs fault they supplied a new sticker free of charge within a couple of days.
Not helpfull in this case but gives an indication of how much they must cost to produce

OP
OP
EX51SSS

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
When i had my previous van weight uprated by v-tech the chassis number was wrong on the sticker due to the incorrect number on the V5 due to a mistake either by the supplying dealer or the DVLA.
Although not v-techs fault they supplied a new sticker free of charge within a couple of days.
Not helpfull in this case but gives an indication of how much they must cost to produce
Precisely!!!! I half expected somewhere in the region of €10 or €15 but not €89.
Although I'll contact DVLA , does anyone has a definitive answer as to where I can mount a metal plate or this plastic one. Does it have to be on the exterior or can it be on the door post (as I've seen on commercial vehicles), inside the habitation door or maybe inside the boot? If any of these then I'll happily get a metal plate and put there.
The plate is made up of numbers that indicate Hymers identification but the weight is just the axle and overall weight which has nothing to do with Hymers unique identity.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
The plate from sv tech goes next to the original vehicle plate and is basically a sticker, a bargain at £310 for me as it included a weight uprate. Would it be worth phoning sv tech to see if they can supply their plate only with your vehicle details.

IMG_0176.jpg

OP
OP
EX51SSS

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
The plate from sv tech goes next to the original vehicle plate and is basically a sticker, a bargain at £310 for me as it included a weight uprate. Would it be worth phoning sv tech to see if they can supply their plate only with your vehicle details.

IMG_0176.jpg
Good idea and thanks for that. Do you have a contact number or a link please.
I've spoken to a vin plate company and they can supply a generic plate that I can have inscribed, etched or stamped local to me with production of my registration document.
UPDATE!!!!!
I telephoned Hymer this afternoon with my Credit Card to hand. I told them I was settling the invoice but I couldn't help myself to say that I was surprised at no contact from them except for the identification plate and an invoice for €89.00 which I considered very expensive for a piece of silver sticky back plastic with my identification typed on. Oh sorry, also a piece of clear sticky back plastic to go over the top. The guy excused himself for a few moments and came back, apologised and said that if I prefer, I could return it and they would cancel the invoice. Guess what's winging its way to Germany now. Now now, don't be cynical and suggest that I should have had a copy made. I had 3 made for £5.00. Naughty I know but they offered and I accepted.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The weight Plate/Sticker can be placed anywhere that is readily accessible. As I was instructed by SVTech

OP
OP
EX51SSS

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
The weight Plate/Sticker can be placed anywhere that is readily accessible. As I was instructed by SVTech
Thank yoiu techno and I think I'll put it in my boot near my gas cylinders. That would definitely stay in place but for authenticity, I'll also put one in the original place as the new one has been printed on sticky back plastic and I have the rest of an A4 sheet that I can use as a big sticker over it similar to that supplied by Hymer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back