Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Ok thinking ahead , our Bessacarr E560 which we are buying has a spare wheel below it ,, have not seen what jack it has , but i read some people have bought bottle jacks rather than the "one that comes with it"
So if i was to buy one would a 5 Tonne bottle jack be up to the job of lifting the motorhome off the ground.
something like this one :
<Broken link removed>

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
I use a 5t bottle Jack with an axle stand. The Jack will lift the van but struggles as it extends. So I jack then secure on the stand, put a block under the Jack and Jack again.

Used this method on the drive as a trial, works well van is 5.3t.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
or maybe even one of the bigger ones might have more "reach" ,, but ofc that mean more weight.
<Broken link removed>
or
<Broken link removed>

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Thinking even further ahead, will it fit under the jacking point when the tyre is deflated?
Good point and i would have to wait till i get the motorhome in 2 weeks time to check that , before buying the correct jack , as the last thing i would want to have to do is get the "Mrs" to lift up the motorhome so i could fit the jack in below it .. :) :) :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Have a wee browse on fleabay at Sealey air jacks, I've used one for many years & the ones intended for Land Rover off road usage are superb. You don't have to spend ages making sure that the jack is in the right place. When I say about the right place, its not so difficult to do, but getting the right position on the road & the vehicle at the same time can be challenging. Remember too that tarmac isn't the best surface to jack from. A block of wood below the bottle jack spreads the load. An axle stand is still required though, safety safety safety at all times. Ironically though I can't use an exhaust driven air jack with my Sprinter due to the exhaust exiting well under the vehicle. I've always carried a bottle jack in any of my cars. The manufacturer's jack's are notoriously poor & some are downright dangerous.

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
When I had the blow out recently the AA chap couldn’t get his trolley jack under the chassis and the closed height of a trolley jack is a lot lower than that of a bottle jack. I used the Millenco ramps to raise it but that was a compromise because steel rims don't have a lot of grip on plastic. If you intend doing the wheel change yourself don't assume that you will be able to lay your hands on a wooden block when you break down, either get the right jack in the first place or carry the necessary bits to do the job.

Upvote 0

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
I came to conclusion that a bottle jack would not be low enough to go under jack point with flat tyre. Also that running flat wheel onto blocks might not be so easy to achieve. My fiat scissor jack works well, especially if a longer bar is used to operate it. I use my torque wrench. Fiat jack has 2400kg label on it , I assume that refers to axle load rather than wheel load.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
If you intend doing the wheel change yourself don't assume that you will be able to lay your hands on a wooden block when you break down, either get the right jack in the first place or carry the necessary bits to do the job.

exactly his,, this is why im doing the prep work 1st .. but atm can only ask questions here until i get the motorhome in 2 weeks :)

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
A scissor jack to start then a bottle jack with axle stand and various blocks of hardwood or as I have, a phone number for the breakdown service. (y):LOL:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I use one at home but it's very heavy to carry around "just in case" really.
This also puts me of the trolly jack,, as the 1 that i have for my garage is small ,, yet weights a ton :)

Upvote 0
?

Deleted User
What is an average trolly jack, 50kg? Only problem i see is storage if in a smaller van. I got my kill when people would say they dont want them in the car due to weight but you dont mind an extra passenger at what, 80kg?

Anyway, as i say. I prefer.

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Trolley jack every time , am about to go full time in my mh mostly through choice but partly through necessity.
I understand payload problems and feel for folks that have to worry about every kilo.
As @Badknee says though number of breakdown service works (y)

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Also carry a trolley jack .. and as the standard Ducato wheel wrench may not be man enough to loosen the nuts.. (and I'm getting weaker) I also have a breaker bar and socket..

It's always preferable to let the breakdown guy change a wheel.. particularly on a Motorway where I think it is now illegal to do it yourself.. if not, it is certainly too dangerous.. get out, deploy the Warning Triangle.. phone for help.. and get everyone over the barrier ASAP ..

If I didn't have the space and payload I wouldn't bother . but the Hymer double floor motorhomes have excellent side storage boxes, one of which makes a great tool locker.. and old habits die hard.. I carry enough tools to equip a small workshop.. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Many years ago, had a blow out on the A1 (amazingly by entrance to lay-by) in our 6 ton American RV.

It had a bottle jack in the locker but I was not confident it would do the job, so called our breakdown service.

They sent a mobile tyre fitter who proceeded to jack up our motorhome with a bottle jack not dissimilar to the one in the locker.

So if good enough for a tyre fitter, although the suggestion of an axle stand seems a very good idea.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
LOL was just watching one of the "gone with the Wynns" videos , the one where they get the puncture ,,, what a laugh watching that it was

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back