Getting rid of fly squash (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Peter
The best method I've found is using Tumble Dryer sheets
I add a couple to a spray bottle and add warm water
Then spray the water in the offending area and wipe with another Tumble Dryer sheet
Then remove the residue with normal car wash

Lifts off flies better than any 'commercial' remover that I've tried.
Plus it's quick and has instant results

I carry the spray bottle and sheets in the van and clean off flies whenever I get s build up

Have used this method on my van since new

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Plenty of cold water is the answer - same as motorcycle fairings and screen and your helmet visors. When the dried on wildlife becomes rehydrated, it comes off almost effortlessly. However it needs a bit of patience whilst it gets absorbed - and the longer they've been squished the longer this takes.

Don't expect it to be instant.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Peter
The best method I've found is using Tumble Dryer sheets
I add a couple to a spray bottle and add warm water
Then spray the water in the offending area and wipe with another Tumble Dryer sheet
Then remove the residue with normal car wash

Lifts off flies better than any 'commercial' remover that I've tried.
Plus it's quick and has instant results

I carry the spray bottle and sheets in the van and clean off flies whenever I get s build up

Have used this method on my van since new
Well I've heard everything now! Heard they were good for keeping mice away from the van ! Obviously make the laundry smell good( well my aldi ones do!) and so keeping squashed flys down!! How on earth did you discover that Rob?!:LOL:

Ingredients : cat ionic surfactant,non-ionicSurfactant,parfum and Alpha isomethyl ionone
What the heck is this stuff?

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Well I've heard everything now! Heard they were good for keeping mice away from the van ! Obviously make the laundry smell good( well my aldi ones do!) and so keeping squashed flys down!! How on earth did you discover that Rob?!:LOL:
Had tried a couple of commercial ones from Halfords with little success
Tried to find a better solution online and Google took me to a video on You Tube

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Thanks Robert. Never heard of them. Found them now on Amazon. Any particular make? How long do you leave them in the warm water?
I just bought some cheap ones from Tesco
I use them as soon as I've added warm water to the bottle - I use what's in the bottle, then add an extra towel for next time, when I just add a little more warm water
Works cold straight from the sprayer too

Oct 17, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadcruiser PVC
Exp
Since 2011
Wet microfibre cloth gets them off pretty easily. I keep one festering wetly in a plastic bag in the driver's door so I can give the screen a wipe when I'm refuelling.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks everybody for all the tips. The forum really is worth the subs.

We didn't have any tumble dryer sheets in the house but we did have some baby wipes for the grandkids and some microfibre cloths.

So tried rubbing hard with the baby wipes and then wiping dry with microfibre. It worked but was quite slow hard work and I was going through the wipes too fast for my wife's liking. So got some inspiration from all your posts. Got an old spray bottle and put some zip wax shampoo in (got a big tub of that) and then some hot water. Sprayed it with that mixture and then rubbed it with a microfibre cloth. That was easier and quicker. After I had done it I then rinsed off with water and a soft brush. Now looks much better.

Going to get some tumble dryer sheets when next in shops and see how they work next time.

Now a question for all you keen detailers out there like @Charlie and @FJmike - have I done any potential damage to my precious????

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Sounds odd but baby wipes work!:)

Baby wipes remove any wax or sealants instantly..

You can get a dedicated screen sealants but i've never been a fan of them . Warm water to soften the muck preferably through a spray bottle then a soft wet microfiber.

Waxing the frontal area of the vehicles will help greatly as the mess comes of far more easily. Goes without saying that cleaning the mess off ASAP is far easier . (y)(y)

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
What we were talking about @pigginchilli !!!! All useful information :)
Hi, we are now using zoflora and eco cleaner for the loo, at least half the price of the special stuff, we are back in england, cant find anywhere to overnite at the northumberland coast, so booked in to a site near morpeth, cant wait to come back to scotland.:)

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Thanks everybody for all the tips. The forum really is worth the subs.

We didn't have any tumble dryer sheets in the house but we did have some baby wipes for the grandkids and some microfibre cloths.

So tried rubbing hard with the baby wipes and then wiping dry with microfibre. It worked but was quite slow hard work and I was going through the wipes too fast for my wife's liking. So got some inspiration from all your posts. Got an old spray bottle and put some zip wax shampoo in (got a big tub of that) and then some hot water. Sprayed it with that mixture and then rubbed it with a microfibre cloth. That was easier and quicker. After I had done it I then rinsed off with water and a soft brush. Now looks much better.

Going to get some tumble dryer sheets when next in shops and see how they work next time.

Now a question for all you keen detailers out there like @Charlie and @FJmike - have I done any potential damage to my precious????
It's a bit late to worry about that :whistle:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I use Autoglym rapid detail spray on dead fies and other assorted suicide insects, seems to lift them off easy.

And it is a lubricant as you rub them off with a microfibre cloth.

Martin

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I have used kitchen towel sheets soaked in soapy water laid on the bodywork for ten to fifteen minutes for years on cars, bikes, helmet visors, it softens the dead beasties and they come straight off. Wash as normal afterwords.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
150mm Diamond Blade Angle Grinder

Toughen up Funster!

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Baby wipes remove any wax or sealants instantly..

You can get a dedicated screen sealants but i've never been a fan of them . Warm water to soften the muck preferably through a spray bottle then a soft wet microfiber.

Waxing the frontal area of the vehicles will help greatly as the mess comes of far more easily. Goes without saying that cleaning the mess off ASAP is far easier . (y)(y)
Thanks @Charlie . Front and the rest of the van was already waxed with Colinite. Took too long taking the mess off I suspect. Looks like I will need to do it again on the bits that used the baby wipes on, but that won't take long.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I use Autoglym rapid detail spray on dead fies and other assorted suicide insects, seems to lift them off easy.

And it is a lubricant as you rub them off with a microfibre cloth.

Martin
I use their fast wax after washing and I find it leaves a smooth surface where any dead bodies can be easily wiped off with a damp microfibre cloth. Not hard work and no hard rubbing. The surfs e being damp a further light spray gets it ready for next time. Not for use on windscreen though, just microfibre cloth on that

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Windscreen and body work warm water with sume car shampoo do it after driving in the train or just wet a few times then just wipe off that's how bugs have Ben removed since the beginning of time
Bill

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
An old bikers trick..
Get some news paper, wet it, and lay / stick it to the areas with bugs on
Have a cuppa, by the time you go back and remove the newspaper all the bugs will just wipe off..
Least labour intensive method I know of !

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
An old bikers trick..
Get some news paper, wet it, and lay / stick it to the areas with bugs on
Have a cuppa, by the time you go back and remove the newspaper all the bugs will just wipe off..
Least labour intensive method I know of !
Similar with bird guano, though have always used a wet cloth. Same method, even down to the cuppa for timing :)
Seagull mess is particularly corrosive ..... :mad:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Same problem on glider wings just wet it and leave for a while its a lot harder to try and remove when dry

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
This cleaning off of dead insects is where claying and waxing really pays off. The smoother and slicker the finish the easier the muck is to remove. Wax also really helps prevent bird sh..... Poo sticking. When bird poo dries it shrinks. It's this that causes the damage, it's far worse when birds have been on the berries and the sh.....poo is dark red. As it shrinks it tightens up and can drag the laquer together. This can only be corrected by deep polishing and sometimes it can't be corrected at all..

So wax the frontal areas where the flies strike and washing them off will be far less of a chore !!

A wee word of caution. Bird sh.....poo can be rough and full of grit. Birds eat grit as it clears them out. Dead flies can also be rough.So be carefull when rubbing at it or you can inflict scratches and swirls to your finish. Those that put wet towels or wet paper over to soften the muck are bang on the money. Remove it carefully don't rub it in.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
This cleaning off of dead insects is where claying and waxing really pays off. The smoother and slicker the finish the easier the muck is to remove. Wax also really helps prevent bird sh..... Poo sticking. When bird poo dries it shrinks. It's this that causes the damage, it's far worse when birds have been on the berries and the sh.....poo is dark red. As it shrinks it tightens up and can drag the laquer together. This can only be corrected by deep polishing and sometimes it can't be corrected at all..

So wax the frontal areas where the flies strike and washing them off will be far less of a chore !!

A wee word of caution. Bird sh.....poo can be rough and full of grit. Birds eat grit as it clears them out. Dead flies can also be rough.So be carefull when rubbing at it or you can inflict scratches and swirls to your finish. Those that put wet towels or wet paper over to soften the muck are bang on the money. Remove it carefully don't rub it in.
What about the windscreen? Can I wax that?

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
What about the windscreen? Can I wax that?
Not a good idea to wax a windscreen as it will smear. I have tried several windscreen sealers but have yet to find one that is satisfactory, if you suffer from screams on the screen, sealers seem to make the problem worse

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back