Beware all you wino's. coming to France (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
For all those lovely people who regularly go over the water to France and buy that beautiful french wine can I give a warning.
For years I've been trawling the isles of all the major supermarkets in France and when on the lookout for the authentic 'stuff' I've persistently looked out for Marianne?
Who is she? "She" is the symbol of France and, as such, her profile is on the neck collar of every bottle or box of french wine (OR SO I THOUGHT)

Today we went into a LeClerc and bought some vino to tide us over the coming (months)(days)(hours) Cross out whichever you feel inappropriate.

On one of our boxes, right where the robinet emerges, was Marianne in all her glory. French wine from a french supermarche. Er No!!!

It would seem that someone over here is taking the Michel (sic) The stuff I bought was, Shock Horror, from Spain.
It would seem that providing that the vino collapso was bottled in France then Marianne gets to to be applied.

What is the world coming to when they are selling Spanish wine in French Supermarkets disguised as the real thing.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It's the same with anything, they can say "produce of" if the last stage of production is done in that country.

So, for example, import vast quantities of olive oil, stick a label on the bottle and call it Italian Olive Oil. Oh, hang on, they already do that! :)

?

Deleted User
Lol. Majority of this shit what you may think is Italian

https://www.pizzaristorante.co.uk/

Is made in Lancashire by a German company.

BTW. Best Pizza i ever had was out an Italian shop in Salzkotten Germany.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Not directly related but, we are off next week to France etc and return after the referendum, I wonder that if we exit then the duty free will revert to 12 bottles of wine as it was rather than the 90 that the eu changed it to. Don't want to pay duty on the excess. Does anyone know?

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Not directly related but, we are off next week to France etc and return after the referendum, I wonder that if we exit then the duty free will revert to 12 bottles of wine as it was rather than the 90 that the eu changed it to. Don't want to pay duty on the excess. Does anyone know?
One good reason to stay in (the only reason)
Phil upmewinerack

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
That might work for us as over 7 years of extensive sampling (hic) dice we started full timing we've both decided euro for euro we prefer Portuguese and Spanish wine to French although we do still like French, Argentinian, Australian etc. etc.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The French farmers have been kicking up a stink about it... In true French fashion, stopping trucks and dumping their loads on the road....

8bdf3c9e072512b9bde2d88c45ca1d0d5898d3d5295c9656a4d2a3e3687a6e5f.jpg

I have a simple attitude to wine... If it's a Euro or less she can have some.. (y)
Or some JP Chenet on the way home from Calais if she has been good.. :rofl:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That might work for us as over 7 years of extensive sampling (hic) dice we started full timing we've both decided euro for euro we prefer Portuguese and Spanish wine to French although we do still like French, Argentinian, Australian etc. etc.
Discovered Portuguese wine for the first time this year lovely stuff.:)

Reactions: Ven

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Wine, wine, what's wine. Do you drink it or shave with it. Never had any, is it nice ? :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
No one drinks Austrian wine since the put antifreeze in it.:D
I remember that, and before that there was "Hirondel" I think it was called, which was quite popular around 1970. It took the varnish off wood if you spilt it. But there are some cracking modern Austrian wines now. I can't afford them but had some to try in Vienna towards the end of my working life when wined and dined by a salesman. :)

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
No one drinks Austrian wine since the put antifreeze in it.:D
Isn't that why they call it Blue Nun?

... yes I know that Blue Nun is German...

... and the German Reisling Trocken wines I bought on the Moselle are among my favourite wines ... and they don't export them!

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The really good authentic chateau bottled stuff doesn't come in boxes. You get what you for. You didn't pay much and you didn't get much it seems.

I "got" wine. It's quite nice.
That isn't the point. The Indication of Nationality (of which the french are usually proud) has been, in my opinion, besmirched by the use of the 'Marianne' symbol.

In a similar vein, when you buy a bottle of Ozzie red in the UK how many people know that the vast majority of the stuff comes over to the UK in a 30 tonne bladder and is bottled in the UK.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
There were always rumours of italian wine tankers making mysterious trips to french wine producers in years where there was a poor harvest. Bet theres a similar thing in the UK theres a l;ot of difference between produced in and comes from!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It reminds me of a question asked by motorbike insurers..
is the bike an import ?

Wellllll, unless it is a Triumph it will be !!
So I always ask for clarification..
A bit of mumbling often takes place.. Then, is it a UK spec bike ?

Yes..
Oh, that's alright then...

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I "got" wine. It's quite nice.
That isn't the point. The Indication of Nationality (of which the french are usually proud) has been, in my opinion, besmirched by the use of the 'Marianne' symbol.

In a similar vein, when you buy a bottle of Ozzie red in the UK how many people know that the vast majority of the stuff comes over to the UK in a 30 tonne bladder and is bottled in the UK.

Yes cheeky isn't it, flying under false course so to speak. I saw the program about the huge bladders on ships and in lories too, kind of dispels the mythical label information.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yes cheeky isn't it, flying under false course so to speak. I saw the program about the huge bladders on ships and in lories too, kind of dispels the mythical label information.
Importing new world wine in bladders and bottling in the uk does save a massive amount of money and makes a lot of quaffing wine affordable without compromising quality (such as it is). Don't have a. Problem with that.......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back