Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Thought I had sourced a spare wheel, but not so. :Sad:

Does any body know where I can get a 225/70 R 19.5 wheel from, new or second hand (5studs) I have a brand new tyre in the boot but just that.. so would like to put it on a wheel. just in case. :thumb:

How many of you run RV`s with or without a spare wheel or a spare tyre??

Or am I worrying for nothing? :Sad:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp

:Smile: I have always had a Spare wheel on all our RV's. The first one a 1988 Coachmen Classic had a Double blow out so the single spare didn't help. The second blow out on a 1993 Minnie Winnie had a spare but I had no tools with me at the time. The 3rd blow out on our Newmar (you have possibly seen it in your other thread) in the USA had/has a spare but as I mentioned didn't have a large socket to take off the SS Cover. Luckily a kind US gentleman stopped and helped me.
Most large RV's in the US are NOT supplied with a spare. They usually call out the breakdown service. As to where you can source a spare wheel? The spares dealers on this Forum can source them or you can buy yourself direct from the USA.
If you want to go that route let me know and I can point you to some suppliers of US spares. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Mo 225/70 R 19.5
Thats not a wheel size thats a tyre size new wheels cost aroud £400 from the states
All the wheel information can be found on the wheel its self, both outside the rim and inside
Warning
after many hrs research and getting all the relevent numbers etc I ordered a second hand one £100 and it turns out its a perfect match in all but stud centre spacing
So it dont Fit:Doh:
spare wheels seem to be a mine field for RVs:cry:
search the posts for spare wheel and my story should come up
I have resolved to just carrying a tyre, in fact I carry two:thumb:
Geo

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
OK.... so I dont really know what I am talking about but ot might prompt other thoughts.....

Are American RVs not built on coach chassis ? Would you not be able to get a spare wheel from a coach workshop/depot ?

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
I always run with a spare and make sure I have a suitable jack, wheel nut spanner and wheel cover spanner because the yank one is crap.

Try Duncan RV Spares, Accessories, Parts and Servicing - Star Spangled Spanner 07738 669938
or Darren Motorhome Medics 01452 856856
Good Luck

Thanks "Ror" in actual fact it was Darren that said just carry a spare wheel, cos I would have to call some one out to change it and they would put new tyre on wheel. He did not have a wheel at the time,, just with my disabled lad I dont want to get caught out.

I have had a pm from a member and I am chasing their idea up,, but will give Duncan a bell..

Thanks.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
As I understand the tyre is the problem here, ie the size is 'odd' in the UK so if you have a good spare tyre then one of the comercial type tyre people you see dealing with HGVs etc at the road side should be able to sort you out.

Obviously a complete wheel and all the clobber is a nice idea but they wiegh ALOT and depending where you have a blowout depends whether you'd be able to deal with it yourself anyway.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Give this company a ring, say Gail recommended you.

They are also wholesalers so may be able to point you in a direction near you, in case they cant help you direct, their contact number is 020 8551 0033

their website is here :

Link Removed

dont forget to say Gail recommended them xxxx

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The vast majority of RV wheels are made by Accuride of the USA (look for that name on your rims Mo)
They have no European or UK equivelents or dealers:cry:
I know because I spoke to em:Doh:
It should be so simple but
There is an awfull lot more to a wheels than size and stud patterns, they differ on profile, rim type, bead seats,load capacity, caliper clearance dimensions and dish offset and angle, and any combination therof:Doh:
Whoever invented the wheel should think again XX :moon:
Geo

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Thought I had sourced a spare wheel, but not so. :Sad:

Does any body know where I can get a 225/70 R 19.5 wheel from, new or second hand (5studs) I have a brand new tyre in the boot but just that.. so would like to put it on a wheel. just in case. :thumb:

Hi, The size you are quoting is a tyre size, not a wheel size. This tyre size replaced the old size of 8R 19.5. If the Rv is built on an Oshkosh or John Deere or this type of chassis, I have some spair wheels.Your problem is that like the 8R 19.5, and the 225 70 19.5 is not readily available in Europe.I carry a spair wheel with tyre and also a spair casing on the roof. Wouldent atempt to change a wheel on an RV myself at the side of the road, you would probably get runover by a truck,that is if the backdrought from one didnt blow the RV off the jack. I always get the breakdown cover to change them.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Thanks "Ror" in actual fact it was Darren that said just carry a spare wheel, cos I would have to call some one out to change it and they would put new tyre on wheel. He did not have a wheel at the time,, just with my disabled lad I dont want to get caught out.

I have had a pm from a member and I am chasing their idea up,, but will give Duncan a bell..

Thanks.

In that case pm Brian Evans he can get yank size tyres. He just got one for a guy I know for a yank trailer. The guy had tried everywhere he could think of and had given up I put him in touch with Brian and he had one in stock:whatthe:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
In that case pm Brian Evans he can get yank size tyres. He just got one for a guy I know for a yank trailer. The guy had tried everywhere he could think of and had given up I put him in touch with Brian and he had one in stock:whatthe:

Sorry "Ror" and others,, I misslead you,, :Doh:

I do have a brand new tyre and was wanting to put it on a "Wheel" so as to make life a little easier should I get a puncture.

And if I should get a puncture those mobile wheel menders/fitters that change lorry wheels/tyres will be able to do it at the side of the road, so I have been told,, I hope.

Thanks all.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
why bother with the weight of a wheel ?
if you are going to call out a tyre service they can fit the new tyre on the old wheel on the spot , get the punctured tyre repaired afterwards if possible

the difficult thing would be to source the tyre

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its not only yanks that getting a spare wheel for thats difficult. mine came without one at nearly 200quid for a new one ,couldnt find a mitsubishi one anywhere. i now have a merc 508 wheel and a man wheel as spares i had the centres and new stud holes bored to fit. you might be somewhere you cant get help so i say get some practice in. long 3/4 or 1inch breaker bar +extentions use two tyre levers to lift the wheel on to studs ,not that difficult. remember some have lh threads some rh threads .practice now at your leisure. also you can usually get away with a flat on the back for a short while but best to take the blown one off. if its a front flat ,take a good one from the back. try and get big washers to shim the remaining wheel out on the back if running solo. if you run with a flat do it only slowly for a short while .also carry tubeless push in repair sticks . not legal here but used all oner europe .look in farm suppliers about 27 quid for kit. have fun .cheers alan.

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi I carry a spare tyre in the slide out tray, I store of various things inside to not waste so much space.

See here

23krr7d.jpg

And cut the bottom off an old water butt which fits nicely inside the tyre.

28h0a9t.jpg

Also carry a jack and wheel brace and a handy ladder sort of support to help keep the wheel brace on the wheelnut

m7vt4i.jpg

2wef4sz.jpg

35c0x83.jpg

Regards Pat

Last edited:
OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special