Not open for further replies.
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Jennies sister has a Pub in Norfolk (near Wymondham) which she has registered with "Britstop".
It's called the "Cherry Tree" and it is in Wicklewood.
The address is 116 High Street.
Postcode NR18 9QA.
Free parking, just use the pub.
I hope this doesn't break any Funclub rules ! ?
But it takes a while to get in "The book".
Mitch.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Jennies sister has a Pub in Norfolk (near Wymondham) which she has registered with "Britstop".
It's called the "Cherry Tree" and it is in Wicklewood.
The address is 116 High Street.
Postcode NR18 9QA.
Mitch.

I think naming the Britstop breaks Britstop's rules ? - they have to be referred to by a number from what we've witnessed on here so far.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Mitch.

An implied obligation to use the pub also breaks Britstops' rules!

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I think naming the Britstop breaks Britstop's rules ? - they have to be referred to by a number from what we've witnessed on here so far.

yes it does.. and correct

but it's new member, so won't have a number until the 2017 book comes out..

I see no harm in advertising it for this year ..

Deleted User
I see no harm in naming it at any time, registered with 'Britstops'?

A member finds a pub that will allow overnight stops, lets other members know about it and then kindly lets 'Britstops' know about it, what right does that give to 'Britstops' to try and stop open publication of the information?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I see no harm in naming it at any time, registered with 'Britstops'?

A member finds a pub that will allow overnight stops, lets other members know about it and then kindly lets 'Britstops' know about it, what right does that give to 'Britstops' to try and stop open publication of the information?
I'm afraid Britstops have no right to stop anyone telling someone else that you can park at a pub, and from the pubs perspective just because they have signed up they are not going to spite themselves by stopping someone who isn't a member from parking.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
On a more general note.. we bought the 2016 BS book but feel that paying £30 every year for it is too expensive... Once joined, I would be happy to pay an annual subscription.. say £10 ..

also, I feel the the book format is old fashioned, and no doubt expensive to publish.. I would prefer it to be on-line and with a phone app like Campercontact, it is really good.. it has annual fee of £4.50 , the online site is free

I appreciate the work done to compile it is not insignificant, but if it is to grow and be successful, I think it has to appeal to a wider audience, be more affordable and be accessible on an app...

Who remembers the Big Pitch Guide.. a one man operation to compile and publish a book of sites with pitches suitable large motorhomes. ?

It was owned, produced and published by a Fun member, Dick.. but he gave it up.. sold it .. and it has since been abandoned .. shame .. if it had been on-line it may have prospered.. as it was.. I think it it cost too much to produce, was too much work for one man.. could never make any real money.. or even break even..

I hope BS doesn't go the same way.. but I feel it has to modernise, be more affordable.. and more accessible..

just my thoughts.. ..

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
On a more general note.. we bought the 2016 BS book but feel that paying £30 every year for it is too expensive... Once joined, I would be happy to pay an annual subscription.. say £10 ..

also, I feel the the book format is old fashioned, and no doubt expensive to publish.. I would prefer it to be on-line and with a phone app like Campercontact, it is really good.. it has annual fee of £4.50 , the online site is free

I appreciate the work done to compile it is not insignificant, but if it is to grow and be successful, I think it has to appeal to a wider audience, be more affordable and be accessible on an app...

Who remembers the Big Pitch Guide.. a one man operation to compile and publish a book for large motorhomes. ?

It was owned, produced and published by a Fun member, Dick.. but he gave it up.. sold it .. and it has since been abandoned .. shame .. if it had been on-line it may have prospered.. as it was.. I think it it cost too much to produce, was too much work for one man.. could never make any real money.. or even break even..

I hope BS doesn't go the same way.. but I feel it has to modernise, be more affordable.. and more accessible..

just my thoughts.. ..

Certainly agree about having Britstops as an App, as the book and maps are bulky, and go out of date so quickly.
An app could be updated continuously and would remove the need for printing and posting an expensive book.

Also think the idea of a lower renewal fee is a great idea

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Same as All the Aires - they didn't invent them but once in their book they say it is copyrighted and mustn't be reproduced.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams

Who remembers the Big Pitch Guide.. a one man operation to compile and publish a book of sites with pitches suitable large motorhomes. ?

just my thoughts.. ..

Spoken like a true Scotsman .

Vlad

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

just my thoughts.. ..
I mentioned something about it being over-priced on here recently and was roundly taken to task by someone. I think the gist of their argument was the Britstops founders needed to earn a living so they had to charge a high price. I'm not sure that's quite how businesses are supposed to work, customers don't owe the business owner any obligation. If a product is good (which Britstops is) and the price is right (I don't believe it is) then it will sell.

But it does sell of course, we bought one. Won't buy another for a while though. They should look at the CamperContact model and have an app with an annual subscription and the ability for folk to submit reviews and new places.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Same as All the Aires - they didn't invent them but once in their book they say it is copyrighted and mustn't be reproduced.
Copyright subsists in any qualifying work but it is the make-up of the work (e.g. a book) itself which copyright applies to and not the information which it contains.

When we had our family history business we used to publish scanned copies of out of copyright directories on CD. The scanned images on the CD and the code which surrounded them to present them on screen was our copyright but that was all. We could not (and did not try to) claim copyright in the original printed book. Thus, anyone copying content direct from one of our CDs (other than for personal use which was licensed) would breach copyright but there was nothing to stop anyone from buying another copy of the original book and producing their own similar CD containing their own original scans.

Thus copying (or otherwise publishing) a copy of a page in a Britstops book would be a breach of copyright but obtaining and publishing the information independently of the book would not.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I bought a 2015 book never used it, and now I've gone and brought the 2016 one thinking we would use it looks like it will be for one night. Probably won't bother next year, yes it would be more interesting if you could pay a fiver for online access.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
yes it does.. and correct

but it's new member, so won't have a number until the 2017 book comes out..

I see no harm in advertising it for this year ..
Well I get updates from Brit stops regarding places that have 'joined' and those who no longer want to be in their book, so if you're a current subscriber to Brit Stops then you should get latest information.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Thus copying (or otherwise publishing) a copy of a page in a Britstops book would be a breach of copyright but obtaining and publishing the information independently of the book would not.

Which is exactly why I get Pi$$ed off when a member asks for a stopover in a particular area and certain Funsters ,who have obviously paid for a resource won't in the name of fun let others benefit.
The pubs concerned offer a service for Mh's in general not just britstops subscribers .

Vlad

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Which is exactly why I get Pi$$ed off when a member asks for a stopover in a particular area and certain Funsters ,who have obviously paid for a resource won't in the name of fun let others benefit.
The pubs concerned offer a service for Mh's in general not just britstops subscribers .

Vlad
If people provide information about a place that they know of independently but it just happens to be in the Britstops book as well then it would not be a breach of copyright. However, if people provided that information by taking it directly from a Britstops book it would still be a breach of copyright.

Deleted User
If people provide information about a place that they know of independently but it just happens to be in the Britstops book as well then it would not be a breach of copyright. However, if people provided that information by taking it directly from a Britstops book it would still be a breach of copyright.

It would be interesting seeing them try to prove it!
Unless they directly copied the page and published it.

Reactions: DBK

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It would be interesting seeing them try to prove it!
Unless they directly copied the page and published it.
True, it depends how they word it.

I'm sure people answered look-up requests on genealogy forums using our CDs but I can only remember "catching" one. A purchaser posted on a forum that she had just bought the CDs and would do look-ups for people. I sent her a friendly PM pointing out that doing so was a breach of our copyright and the ones she had done before I found out about it had potentially cost us several hundred pounds. She stopped :)

Deleted User
True, it depends how they word it.

I'm sure people answered look-up requests on genealogy forums using our CDs but I can only remember "catching" one. A purchaser posted on a forum that she had just bought the CDs and would do look-ups for people. I sent her a friendly PM pointing out that doing so was a breach of our copyright and the ones she had done before I found out about it had potentially cost us several hundred pounds. She stopped :)

All I would require is a name and address and possibly a phone number or website don't have a sat nav so don't even need GPS co-ords.
Surely it would be very easy and helpfful to pass on this information without ever mentioning Britstops or infringing cpyright.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
As I understand it Britstops like France Passion own a database of member 'hosts'. As such the database of members is copyright, and rightly so as it represents years of work in building the membership of hosts.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Might be worth @BritStops reading this thread to gauge general feelings.
... except these aren't general feelings, they're the feelings of those who want BritStops to change. There are those of us who don't, who have responded to these views regularly and don't necessarily want to go over it all yet again.
However .....
..... I buy the BritStops book because it's in a format that suits me best - I don't use a smartphone or tablet, and I like to have a book to browse through. I have no issue with the cost - it saves me time and money. BritStops the organisation does NOT raise issues of copyright etc - that's been inflamed post-by-post on this thread; go through their website and it doesn't even mention this topic (in the book, the publisher has copyright and database right) - however in monthly updates there is often a polite request not to publicise host venues, partly due, I imagine, to their market but also partly due to the fact that they have encouraged hosts to join who sometimes don't want to be inundated with overnighting guest motorhomers. How often on Fun do we read of (perceived) unwelcome, unscrupulous or just impolite travellers - no business wants to be seen as hosting these. Anyway, I personally feel it's a sort of 'gentleman's agreement' between BritStops and myself, and I won't breach that.
I'm sure an app would be a welcome addition for many - but who, in a small commercial organisation like this, is going to do the work, especially if it's then going to be freely disseminated to anyone who asks a mate for the information?
As said before, there's nothing to stop anyone from asking any business for permission to overnight on their car park - BritStops doesn't have a monopoly.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I have to say, we have never joined Britstops but have stayed at a few places that happen to be in their book. Until this week I haven just called somewhere and asked if we'd be welcome and if we are, alls good. I had never been asked if we are members of Britstops until yesterday and because we were not members they asked for £5, their prerogative and because we wanted to stay there we paid it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Camper contact also has a huge data base, which is free to access and download.. as far as I am aware it is not copyrighted ..

"Campercontact.com is free for everyone. This site is made possible by the NKC (Dutch Camper Club) and also employs +/- 20 volunteers to keep the information on the site up-to-date."

The difference is it is run by volunteers .. and non profit making .. surely a model for pub stops, that could be run by volunteers on Motorhomefun ?

as suggested by @chaser

Reading this post, and although we have Keith's pub stops on here, and Britstops probably wouldn't like it but what about having mh fun pub stops, if you know of a good one , tell us on here(y)

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
... except these aren't general feelings, they're the feelings of those who want BritStops to change. There are those of us who don't, who have responded to these views regularly and don't necessarily want to go over it all yet again.
However .....
..... I buy the BritStops book because it's in a format that suits me best - I don't use a smartphone or tablet, and I like to have a book to browse through. I have no issue with the cost - it saves me time and money. BritStops the organisation does NOT raise issues of copyright etc - that's been inflamed post-by-post on this thread; go through their website and it doesn't even mention this topic (in the book, the publisher has copyright and database right) - however in monthly updates there is often a polite request not to publicise host venues, partly due, I imagine, to their market but also partly due to the fact that they have encouraged hosts to join who sometimes don't want to be inundated with overnighting guest motorhomers. How often on Fun do we read of (perceived) unwelcome, unscrupulous or just impolite travellers - no business wants to be seen as hosting these. Anyway, I personally feel it's a sort of 'gentleman's agreement' between BritStops and myself, and I won't breach that.
I'm sure an app would be a welcome addition for many - but who, in a small commercial organisation like this, is going to do the work, especially if it's then going to be freely disseminated to anyone who asks a mate for the information?
As said before, there's nothing to stop anyone from asking any business for permission to overnight on their car park - BritStops doesn't have a monopoly.
Yours is part of the "general feeling" I was referring to. I was just bringing this thread to the attention of Britstops. (y)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Yours is part of the "general feeling" I was referring to. I was just bringing this thread to the attention of Britstops. (y)
Good point, good idea :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back