Reversing Camera - A Different Question (1 Viewer)

alan.watson

Free Member
Sep 21, 2009
Funster No
Saw on another thread that you can have a Reversing Camera on the whole time - to act as a rear view mirror - rather than as I have fitted it with it engaging only when I select Reverse Gear.

In that thread it suggested always on was a possibility.

Any hits as how this can be achieved as the Maplin Instructions are not clear on this.

At the moment it is wired into the Reversing Light cable.

Any help would be appreciated

Alan Watson

New to Motorhoming and just finished first major outing - 3 1/2 weeks to Scotland and we are loving it !!:Smile:

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Take the wire from your reversing switch and give it an accessory/ign only feed:thumb:
Simples
PS NOT a permanent one
Geo
pps just for clarity the wire must be removed completly from the reversing switch or your reversing lights will be on when the camera is

Last edited:
S

stagman

Deleted User
Saw on another thread that you can have a Reversing Camera on the whole time - to act as a rear view mirror - rather than as I have fitted it with it engaging only when I select Reverse Gear.

In that thread it suggested always on was a possibility.

Any hits as how this can be achieved as the Maplin Instructions are not clear on this.

At the moment it is wired into the Reversing Light cable.

Any help would be appreciated

Alan Watson

The wire that is acctivated from the reversing power wire . Feed it direct from another permanent live source , fuse it down and in series fit an on - off switch in a convenient place . I have fitted two cameras to my van one is as rear view mirror the other switches over once revers gear is selected .:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
I wired mine direct to the leasure battery.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
trouble with having it on all the time is it gets confusing ,driving ,looking at camera monitor,watching tv, eating ,drinking, eading newspaper. think its dangerous thereis enough to do.without having two camera,s.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
trouble with having it on all the time is it gets confusing ,driving ,looking at camera monitor,watching tv, eating ,drinking, eading newspaper. think its dangerous thereis enough to do.without having two camera,s.
What do you think cruise control is for:Doh:
I cant see the point of a perminent live and a switch, or the use of the leisure battery, it has nough to cope with:winky:
The correct way is via an ign or accesory controled circuit:thumb:
then it cant be left on by accident

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i think geo,s wiring is the way to go . i would probably put in a switch as well you might not want it all the time. i must say abit like sat nav ,never used a reverse cam. did have one on a cement mixer i drove but it got dirty too quick. save your money ,for more red wine .good mirrors is the best .you dont reverse much so get someone to watch when you do.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Mine is wired like Geoff says, and I can turn mine off at the monitor.

John.

Ruddy

Free Member
Feb 24, 2009
Haverhill,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
> 1yr
I wired mine up to the side lights, In effect its switched and you can turn it on or off when you want.
Im gonna use it to keep an eye on my bike trailer. (once iv'e finished the towbar......)

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I wired mine up to the side lights, In effect its switched and you can turn it on or off when you want.
Im gonna use it to keep an eye on my bike trailer. (once iv'e finished the towbar......)
You may find the view at night spoiled by the glow from the lights:Doh: the night time lens dont like light:Eeek:
Geo

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
mine is different :Doh:

it has a three wire system....permenant live, earth and switch wire to the reverse switch.

it comes on when reverse is selected, but can be manually switched on (permenant) and toggled between 'mirror' and 'true' image at the monitor.

couldnt get on with the 'reverse' image so just cut the rev switch wire and taped the end.

now i turn it on manually and the image is the correct way round....ie,
the right hand side of the monitor is the right hand side of the van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back