Is a Tracker really worth fitting? (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Having read BigFoot's thread 'BASTARDS' I would question the value of fitting a tracker.

Trackers are required by insurance companies for (probably) all new MHs, and many used high value used ones - but do they stop thefts?

A MH thief sets out to steal then sell on - he's for want of a better word - a 'professional' thief - and I'd guess most thefts are planned and vehicles targeted

Say the 'target' is a £60k MH don't you think that knowing that the vehicle almost certainly has a tracker the thief might invest a few hundred (or less) on a jammer.

There is a firm on the internet - jammers4u.uk, just one of many that sell jammers

Telling folks on here or Facebook that their vehicle has been stolen and has a tracker might give the thieves more help - they will then shield the vehicle or use a jammer

I am just wondering if fitting a tracker might give a false sense of security and that other ways of protecting your MH might be overlooked

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
You may well have a point!

What are the insurance companies not giving more advice or not specifying other alternative security measures if trackers are being defeated so easily!

Why not something like a permanently built in Go-box whereby you can report the van stolen and the authorities can be alerted to a stolen van passing under gantries, at ports, tolls etc?

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
I do believe a high quality tracker is a worthwhile investment - it may not prevent the theft but can make recovery possible, as well as satisfying the insurance company's requirements.

These are good

www.tracker.co.uk

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Average cost of a broad band tracker killer is now about £15 .. Readily available and sold as something kids can use so their parents do not know what they are up to.. Load of old tosh of course and everyone knows it is only the scum bags who are buying them

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Trackers aren't there to stop theft. They are successful but it can be you get what you pay for. A purely gps based tracker is very easy to block.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Trackers aren't there to stop theft. They are successful but it can be you get what you pay for. A purely gps based tracker is very easy to block.
I think you will find a tracker that uses a sim card is also very easily blocked, many for sale on ebay that blocks mobile signals, i think as most will agree it is a deterrent but not something that should be relied on. Stopping them starting it would be a better way as if they cant start it they have no chance of nicking it but then there is only so much you can do. Technology is way ahead of what is being used on some of these motorhomes.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have often wondered the same thing. However with prices as low as £20 for a self managed one I think it is worth the cost.

You can get one that allows you to GEO fence your van (set coords within which the van is considered safe) If it moves outside of the fence you get a message on your phone.
You can disable the van engine remotely using a text message.
You can listen in using a built in mic to what the thieves are talking about (maybe use names? talk about where they are going or their plans etc).
You can track the van in real time.

Plus more. I have one to fit when I get round to it.
http://amzn.to/1YbuPjz

However my recommendation for security is still prevention. A decent set of deadlocks and a third party method of immobilising.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Interestingly I looked into having one fitted into our new van and thought I may get a bit more discount on insurance to cover some of the annual costs. Quote with just alarm 394, with alarm and tracker 394...

Cobra trackers have anti jamming technology but how good it is I do not know. Also speaking to a fitter today and he said if the tracker is not well hidden such as in the dashboard the thief can simply find it, rip it out and drive away.

Anyway the jury is still open if I get one at the moment and if they are worth it.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The tracker I linked to earlier has an external aerial for both the phone signal and the GPS. I will be putting this on the roof. They would need a fairly powerful transmitter on the gps blocker to get that from inside the van.

It has a switch (relay) like @scotjimland showed but it can be operated by your mobile phone so no physical switch in the cab area to find.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
@zac I wouldn't use a tracker as a deterrent. I would use physical security and alarm immobiliser systems as a deterrent. Tracker is really the last resort. When all else has failed. I wouldn't advertise it having tracker either.
Some early Tracker customers did that with stickers on the windows. Just meant the thieves always searched for it.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
@zac I wouldn't use a tracker as a deterrent. I would use physical security and alarm immobiliser systems as a deterrent. Tracker is really the last resort. When all else has failed. I wouldn't advertise it having tracker either.
Some early Tracker customers did that with stickers on the windows. Just meant the thieves always searched for it.
Agree a tracker should never be advertised, i am sure they are useful sometimes but on high priced items such as these the thieves are going to be much more prepared, prevention is definitly the better way to go with these as backups.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
A tracker in isolation is only part of the solution to preventing theft/loss

I believe that a combination of actions is the most effective;

Interior alarm with flashing exterior LED's - gives a very visible deterrent, and with a loud internal and external siren draws attention to any potential theif. (part of Growler system)

Ignition Immobilizer - remotely activated by SMS prevents removal of the vehicle if keys are stolen (part of Growler system)

Tracker - whilst this can potentially be blocked, I believe that it can still be effective in many cases (part of Growler system)

Key Security - always store your vehicle keys in a secure place

Keep Valuables Hidden - items of value should never be left on display, or within easy reach of windows.

I understand that its impossible to totally eliminate the risk of theft, taking sensible precautions and installing a good quality alarm, immobilizer and tracker will reduce risk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
I have often wondered the same thing. However with prices as low as £20 for a self managed one I think it is worth the cost.

You can get one that allows you to GEO fence your van (set coords within which the van is considered safe) If it moves outside of the fence you get a message on your phone.
You can disable the van engine remotely using a text message.
You can listen in using a built in mic to what the thieves are talking about (maybe use names? talk about where they are going or their plans etc).
You can track the van in real time.

Plus more. I have one to fit when I get round to it.
http://amzn.to/1YbuPjz

However my recommendation for security is still prevention. A decent set of deadlocks and a third party method of immobilising.
Looks good but not sure if I could fit it

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
I have one fitted to the MH i have just purchased £490 for lifetime,some thoughts.
Would you want your MH back if it was stolen and trashed.

We have just insured ours for £268 with no tracker and standard alarm.

Someone i know purchased an alarm for £300 as added security one off payment.

Guess i am thinking is it worth subcribing to the tracker

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Horses for courses I think is the appropriate analogy here.
I fitted the one @grommet referred to and its more capable than I thought possible for the unit price and has many alarm type features as well. It seems to work fine although I have not wired in all the features yet. But until you find the van has gone u are never going to know if it works in real life.
My van is not worth a great deal so I would find it difficult to justify the cost of monitored tracking or a bespoke alarm.
If I could afford 60 to 100K + for a van then protecting my investment would entail spending much more on security.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The thing I liked most about the one I got was the geo fence option. Set it so that if moved your phone goes off. Then you can remotely disable it and go get the buggers.
Well that's the theory :p

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Yeh but u don't need to worry about that because if u arm the move option it will tell you by text that its moved more than 100mts and its new position and will keep updating every 3 mins. to u'r phone
I think the geo fence is to stop your driver using the vehicle outside of his permitted delivery area or at least tell u thats happened.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
No tracker can be purely GPS based. GPS satellites allow it to determine its position. Then it has to be accessible (normally via the mobile phone network) to be interrogated. Any blocking device will prevent interrogation - the GPS component may carry on working or may also be blocked but is in any case irrelevant.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Probably one of the best anti theft devices is to buy a Hymer SO OLD and KNACKERED that even your granddad would think it looked Edwardian. They dont want the old stuff, unless its retro or collectible, like a VW. They want stuff they can flog on for as much cash as they can get, so why nick an old one worth 14/-6d when you can just as easily steal one worth 20k to them.
That's why I have an old Hymer.........Honest. :whistle:

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Probably one of the best anti theft devices is to buy a Hymer SO OLD and KNACKERED that even your granddad would think it looked Edwardian. They dont want the old stuff, unless its retro or collectible, like a VW. They want stuff they can flog on for as much cash as they can get, so why nick an old one worth 14/-6d when you can just as easily steal one worth 20k to them.
That's why I have an old Hymer.........Honest. :whistle:

(y)I bought my old Eribacar because I liked the look of it, it has 'everything' on it.............. ...................and I'm tight

.........and no self respecting thief would be caught dead in it......

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
On the basis that these " blockers" serve no purpose other than a criminal purpose why doesn't our wonderful Government ban the sale of them?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Yep . . or simply pull the fuel pump fuse / relay.

Unfortunately, if it fails to start, that is the first thing an experienced thief would check, and (may) carry spare 30A fuse?. Most (vans) these days use one of 3 types and take no room in a pocket. I did this on one classic car, replaced the rear screen heater switch with a 3 position one. the unused position fed the fuel pump relay. So switching ON disabled the pump. OFF left the pump and heater able to be used.

Pete

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Unfortunately, if it fails to start, that is the first thing an experienced thief would check, and (may) carry spare 30A fuse?. Most (vans) these days use one of 3 types and take no room in a pocket. I did this on one classic car, replaced the rear screen heater switch with a 3 position one. the unused position fed the fuel pump relay. So switching ON disabled the pump. OFF left the pump and heater able to be used.

Pete

A cut off switch is a good idea.

They may have a F.P. fuse, but I doubt if they carry F.P. relays, & of course it's all time spent & one of their enemies is time.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
A cut off switch is a good idea.

They may have a F.P. fuse, but I doubt if they carry F.P. relays, & of course it's all time spent & one of their enemies is time.
I have one of these fitted in a concealed place...........Cuts everything off (engine battery side). Take the red key with me.

switch.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
KISS and cheap as chips..

one of these in a secret place... switching off the 12v to the fuel solenoid valve..

Used to do that in the late 60's on Morris Minors & Minis.

I have one of these fitted in a concealed place...........Cuts everything off (engine battery side). Take the red key with me.

View attachment 110175
Only problem is on a modern van each time you used it you would have to go to a main dealer to get the electronics re-programed.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back