Langtoftlad's Great British Tour... Part One (1 Viewer)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
So, two weeks ago retirement became official (y)...
Via my (ex) job I've been lucky enough to see a lot of the world but know little of my home nation.
The retirement plan is to remedy this.

So June is the month to begin
...but first a little diversion.
I'd been mulling over getting Cruise for the old bus. Having got a new car with it, made my mind up.
So I'm booked in with TV star @dave newell lvs 08.30 tomorrow morning :D.

Which is why you find me supping a pint parked up at Britstop #453/16 in brilliant sunshine.

IMG_20160605_163512.jpg

Large gravel area, very slightly sloping, behind main carpark

IMG_20160605_195022.jpg

Looks worth the wait, 12oz smoked gammon slathered in melted Stilton (salt overload) £10.95

Day one.

OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Today has been a good day - the sun and the gods have shone.

First order of business was an early morning visit to Mr/s @dave newell lvs for...

IMG_20160606_152933.jpg

I hardly had time to wander into the village for an excellent full English for £4.90 (but @ianthebuilder take note, only one cup of tea included, a further cup was extra... meanies)

So the MH was all done by the time I strolled back, paid the Funster discounted bill (thank you Mr Newell), and the TV star himself gave me thorough run through of its operation.
Final parting words were "by the next roundabout you'll wonder how you ever did without it"
Prophetic words - except, me being a slow learner, it took two roundabouts :whistle:.

Plenty of opportunity to test it out on the 120 mile run to tonights Britstop #709, especially during the extensive 50mph average speed limit on the M1.
Minor excitement was passing a van which was well ablaze - apparently much to the amusement of the driver & his mate who were sat on the safety barrier phones held aloft, recording all for posterity :rolleyes:.
Wonder what chaos that will have caused when the emergency services turned up?

Anyway, tonight's accommodation (#709) is a definate cut above last nights.

IMG_20160606_165604-640x360.jpg

IMG_20160606_190202-640x360.jpg

IMG_20160606_202954-640x360.jpg

...and dinner;

IMG_20160606_200121-640x360.jpg

Belly of pork BBQ ribs - never had that cut before - just a half rack (thank god), so much meat! I wuz defeated, had to leave the chips :whatthe:. £9.95.

OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
...and tonight's live version of East-Nation St- Farm was couple opposite, she was all over him. Mid thirties probably.
What was the story?
Internet date, an affair :cool: ?

Then brilliantly - the ultimate passion killer...

...his mum called

...and he answered :rofl:.

(Actually, more of the story became apparent during that call :RollEyes:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Three minutes down the road - incidentally I've never seen so many Gatso scameras along a short stretch of road - was the National Coal Mining museum.

IMG_20160607_102802-640x480.jpg

Freeloaders take note, free to enter, the underground tour is £3 but you can get that back if you hand in your tally token.

Underground tour is about an hour & half, light hearted, informative & atmospheric - and free if you're a meanie.

Interestingly, the wounds of the 84 strikes are still, perhaps unsurprisingly, raw.

On my tour, there were old miners, why.
Including an 89 year old guy - had a bit of a chat over lunch (me a very respectable Yorkie with two tasty black pepper & sage sausages, mash, peas &... onion gravy)

No battery items underground, so you have to give up your phones, cameras etc etc... it's still governed by mining regulations & statutes.

Highly recommended for a few hours, if you're in the area.

Now at a Funster's fave;

Screenshot_2016-06-07-17-24-53-480x853.png

Easy run, small diversion to Tesco Extra for best value diesel.
Here I recommend PetrolPrices.com, I have the app, you can search best value fuel prices - registration is free.

Chinese TruckNav (sort of) let me down.
I missed a turn & the "recalculating route" sent me down Terry Ave before the low 8'6" bridge - ooops.

No problem, a simple 10 point turn with just the odd half dozen onlookers :whistle:.

Apart from that - having a quiet night in :rolleyes:.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
i thought you would start at the Waggon and Horses then make your way to the George in Stamford:)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Only just spotted your thread @Langtoftlad :) are you going to be touring the whole country ? Glad I've been out for a wethers steak night otherwise I'd be starving after seeing your pics:LOL:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Only just spotted your thread @Langtoftlad :) are you going to be touring the whole country ? Glad I've been out for a wethers steak night otherwise I'd be starving after seeing your pics:LOL:
ditto Debs, Spoons steak night for us too £6,05! Called Sheaf island !
Love your blog of your trip @Langtoftlad!

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Ah I've always been very fond of Rowntree park, even though I've had to take to the flood escape route before. Its just a really central point to stroll around the walls from. Enjoy....

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Looking forward to reading this.....(y)

Deleted User
Is there some severe penalty for revealing Britstops locations?

For those of us without the Britstops book it is difficult to know where you are!!

OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Is there some severe penalty for revealing Britstops locations?

For those of us without the Britstops book it is difficult to know where you are!!
@BritStops has asked us not to, other than by numbers. General locations are fine.
So first stop was near Dave Newell's, second was between Wakefield & Huddersfield (Grange Moor) and now I'm in York at the Caravan Club site, Rowntree Park :).

Deleted User
@BritStops has asked us not to, other than by numbers. General locations are fine.
So first stop was near Dave Newell's, second was between Wakefield & Huddersfield (Grange Moor) and now I'm in York at the Caravan Club site, Rowntree Park :).

At £27 a throw I bet he does:)

OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
At £27 a throw I bet he does:)
Not getting into that horny old argument, a MHF perennial :rolleyes:, save to say that for me personally myself - its been worth every penny (y).

Deleted User
Not getting into that horny old argument, a MHF perennial :rolleyes:, save to say that for me personally myself - its been worth every penny (y).

As I am only in the UK for a couple of months a year and only a small part of that is touring the expenditure would not be worthwhile.

I am however travelling back to the North from Portsmouth via Vanbitz and Dave Newells in July, any suggestions for a pub that allows stopovers nearby would be appreciated:)

Enjoy the rest of your trip,I will watch with interest, at some point in the future we plan to make a similar trip:)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Just having a welcome...
View attachment 109927
after walking the city walls.

View attachment 109929
View attachment 109930

Who ever was in charge of city planning permission & allowed some of the ugly buildings and housing within the historic city should be shot

View attachment 109928

...and one for @cliffandger
View attachment 109931
Don't need to go to Croatia for your washing line pics :cool:
Good photo - but no big knickers so doesn't count ;). Hope you have a lovely trip (y)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Just having a welcome...
View attachment 109927
after walking the city walls.

View attachment 109929
View attachment 109930

Who ever was in charge of city planning permission & allowed some of the ugly buildings and housing within the historic city should be shot

View attachment 109928

...and one for @cliffandger
View attachment 109931
Don't need to go to Croatia for your washing line pics :cool:
We like Rowntree too and love your photos of York . The toll house coffee shop ( not sure if that's the name ) was flooded at xmas you can't believe it now! Enjoy your travels and keep posting !

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
suggestions for a pub that allows stopovers
Lots of pubs will allow stopovers if you have a drink (maybe a meal) & ask nicely. Look at the area on Google maps & phone in advance & ask if it's possible.
The BritStops fee is justified by them doing the research for us, well worth it if you're able to use it!
I believe VanBitz has its own campsite next door.

Deleted User
Lots of pubs will allow stopovers if you have a drink (maybe a meal) & ask nicely. Look at the area on Google maps & phone in advance & ask if it's possible.
The BritStops fee is justified by them doing the research for us, well worth it if you're able to use it!
I believe VanBitz has its own campsite next door.

I am using Vanbitz's site for the night before we have our alarm installed and then travelling up to Telford the same day to have a cruise control fitted the day after, so will arrive some time in the evening.

There is a firm called Vicarious Books that publishes all sorts of books containing useful information relating to motorhomes, among'st these are several guides entitled 'All the Aires'.

I have purchased several of these guides for use on the Continent as I spend most of the year there, I too do not mind paying for something that I will use regularly.

Many members of this forum will post full details,including GPS locations and reference numbers, of these aires which I presume Vicarious Books would not be too pleased about.

Why the difference?

I require somewhere to stop for one night, if I posted a request for a suitable aire in France I have no doubt that I would be inundated with information, as others have been.

I myself have posted information regarding sites etc that have taken me time and money to research, I have done this, and will continue to do so, willingly without thought of recompense in order to help others, I thought that was what this forum was about.

Looks like I will have to do my own research if others are unwilling to share information.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Type in Pubs with stops in the search bar. Not a lot of research required:rolleyes:
Can we get back on track with this great thread please.;). Where are you off to next?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I am using Vanbitz's site for the night before we have our alarm installed and then travelling up to Telford the same day to have a cruise control fitted the day after, so will arrive some time in the evening.

There is a firm called Vicarious Books that publishes all sorts of books containing useful information relating to motorhomes, among'st these are several guides entitled 'All the Aires'.

I have purchased several of these guides for use on the Continent as I spend most of the year there, I too do not mind paying for something that I will use regularly.

Many members of this forum will post full details,including GPS locations and reference numbers, of these aires which I presume Vicarious Books would not be too pleased about.

Why the difference?

I require somewhere to stop for one night, if I posted a request for a suitable aire in France I have no doubt that I would be inundated with information, as others have been.

I myself have posted information regarding sites etc that have taken me time and money to research, I have done this, and will continue to do so, willingly without thought of recompense in order to help others, I thought that was what this forum was about.

Looks like I will have to do my own research if others are unwilling to share information.
If you are having your cruise control fitted by @dave newell lvs there is Severn Gorge Park more or less just across the road from his premises.

Deleted User
If you are having your cruise control fitted by @dave newell lvs there is Severn Gorge Park more or less just across the road from his premises.

At the risk of being castigated again for taking the thread off track, I am aware of that site but I do not know what time we may arrive so am looking for somewhere else that does not mind late arrivals but I may have a re think.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back