LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
Since 1991
i had my autotrail chieftain washed and polished today inc roof ,all materails were autoglym perfect i must say and the guys came all the way from rhayader in noth wales .a real bargain 75.00 inc mileage

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
That's good! That means I've saved 75 quid today:hi5:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
i had my autotrail chieftain washed and polished today inc roof ,all materails were autoglym perfect i must say and the guys came all the way from rhayader in noth wales .a real bargain 75.00 inc mileage
But was it waxed???

N

Nobody

Deleted User
I did mine the other day didnt cost me anything apart from a bit of sweat:eek:

Reactions: f6c
May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
Does anyone know of any in Surrey that you can take the motor home to? Our storage facility at Gatwick has suspended washing while they attend to drains.

OP
OP
Silkcut1105

Silkcut1105

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
Since 1991
4 hours and they drove 70 miles to get here

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
4 hours and they drove 70 miles to get here

It would be unfair to judge the quality of the work. But if I were asked to complete a task like that in 4 hours I would say it is quite simply not possible. I can see a very decent wash being completed in that time but a proper wax plus a wash ??? No way... 140 round trip plus products eats a hole in 75 quid ....

OP
OP
Silkcut1105

Silkcut1105

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
Since 1991
There was 2 guys doing it and I was in my workshops the even polished the roof and only 75 pounds

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Sounds like you got a right dirt cheap bargain. You could have at least paid them the minimum wage.:LOL:
:D:D:D:D:LOL::LOL:

I have to admit that thought crossed my mind. I was amazed when the penny dropped and I realised two people worked that long travelled that far and supplied the materials for so little money. No criticisms from me I like it when someone gets a good deal ...

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Not sour grapes, good luck to them. As a yard stick, it usually takes me about an hour to clean an Auto trail roof, this includes opening roof lights and cleaning round them (plastic sheets underneath to catch any drips).I am still confused by Silk cut saying that they polished the roof etc. Does this mean that they polished and waxed?

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
No sour grapes from me either but to properly cleanse and wax a vehicle of that size two men or not I wonder how it can be done in that time frame. To polish means of course many things. Anyone can rub away at anything with anything and claim to have polished.. Its the old thing where so many dont really understand the difference between a polish and a wax.

Standard vary enormously and the expectations of the clients. What one may consider a top job another would look at and think quite the opposite .. So long as the customer is happy thats all that really matter though eh .

OP
OP
Silkcut1105

Silkcut1105

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
Since 1991
Well I know what was done my roof was washed and yes polished not waxed but the rest of the van was washed waxed and polished for a pittance of 75 quid enough said .and no they did not use fairy liquid bottles they used autoglym products even gave me a hand full of autoglym airfreshners all I supplied was water and 2 brekky rolls oh and a 12 foot stepladder as there's was only 8foot . Thanks for looking at my thread guys

Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
Sounds like we are all jealous of Silkcut getting a bargain. 8 man hours plus materials plus travel. They are maybe getting started out in business but will get smarter. Did they come from the Lincoln direction???? I could use them Silkcut.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Sounds like you had a good deal Stuart. No matter who cleans them, whether you pay your kids a tenner or give £200 to a pro valeter, it seems in a short time they are filthy again anyway. I splashed out on some very expensive wax and applied it to my RV, I have a particular issue where drops from a roof overhang cause unsightly black streaks on the bonnet and wing. Believe it or not the streaks collect worse and appear quicker on the new wax and are harder to remove. I agree the wax might be protecting my paintwork better than say the Mer I've always used but in the looks department they don't last long. Enjoy it while it's clean Stu. :)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Black streaks should not be be worse after wax, Should not be but can be. Should be easier to wash off though. It really depends on which wax is used. Some can actually be sticky.

I repeatedly see Mer mentioned. Can you please tell me the colour of the bottle your Mer is in ? would answer a lot .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Silkcut1105

Silkcut1105

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
Since 1991
yes jim your right the important issue is im happy till it gets dirty again then ill just give it awsh or if im feeing flush ill call the valet company again

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Black streaks should not be be worse after wax, Should not be but can be. Should be easier to wash off though. It really depends on which wax is used. Some can actually be sticky.

I repeatedly see Mer mentioned. Can you please tell me the colour of the bottle your Mer is in ? would answer a lot .
Hi Charlie

I tried the Mer in the black bottle Gold top, smelled of oranges and about as sticky to rub off.

Martin

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Reading Silkcuts post again made me wonder what my customers thought I was putting on their vans as I decant my wax into Fairy liquid bottles.:D:D
That was fairy liquid mike,I saw,the 5 l container in your huge American RV you use to cart your gear around in..cant fool me I was peeking from behind curtains.. Roy Lol hahahaha..

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi Charlie

I tried the Mer in the black bottle Gold top, smelled of oranges and about as sticky to rub off.

Martin

So many use the stuff in the blue bottle which is light cut polish. What you have I believe is the sealer wax.

The sealer wax is as you say sticky. It's for that very reason it holds onto muck. It washes up ok but it's not super slick.

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Sounds like you had a good deal Stuart. No matter who cleans them, whether you pay your kids a tenner or give £200 to a pro valeter, it seems in a short time they are filthy again anyway. :)

:Eeek: :Eeek: Plleease don't say that Jim, FJmike is cleaning ours later in the month, so it's got to stay sparkling forever.... :giggler:

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
If anyone has Mer in the blue bottle don't chuck it, when giving your motorhome just a wash pop a glug or two in the washing bucket, it will help to keep your van shiney

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back