Second hand price calculator (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
As a rule of thumb how can you work out the second hand or p/x price of a motorhome from new?
I assume that the most is lost in the first year,I had been told it was the vat.But if this is the case howis the annual depreciation worked out.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Its basically like all things, whether they be MH's, Caravans, cars, TV's or whatever.

Take 15% VAT off new price and then at least 10% first year.

Peter

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
25%loss in year1 and about 10% per year thereafter:cry:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
25%loss in year1 and about 10% per year thereafter:cry:
for clarification that is 10% of the remaining value but at what point does it start to rise again, what age? my merc is 28 years old now milage under 100K how do I estimate a value on that?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
for clarification that is 10% of the remaining value but at what point does it start to rise again, what age? my merc is 28 years old now milage under 100K how do I estimate a value on that?
I would suggest that after year 5 or 6 the losses slow down slightly untill about year 9 or 10, when it then drops out of the classes guide much the same as cars do
after 10 years old they enter a pricing structure purly based on contition, milage, desireability, as someone said earlier you then get what you can for it and what the market will stand.
On a vehicle the age of yours the sensible option would be an agreed value with your insurers, other wise risk being offerd a very silly amount if you suffer a total loss
Im not aware of any Motorhome going up in value apart from real classics that have been fully restored to as new condition, even then they dont return what they actually cost to restore:Doh:
Geo
As for someone paying to have their 8 year old van taken away
I just knew there would be a calculation like that-----------In Yer Dreams:RollEyes:
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

Hi Roger,

How much did it cost 28 years ago that is the question!

Today as a private sale I would guestimate anywhere between £5k - £10k so could be money back based on original price.

Peter

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
While on the subject of older M/H's. I have often wondered when I have seen something like an mid 90's Autosleeper in good condition priced around £15K how it compares to it's new price. Does anyone know how much a certain make/model was 15 years ago.
It seems that if you keep your M/H for a long time the depriciation is minimal.

Andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back