Aiguille du Midi (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
We are going to Chamonix in July and taking two of our grandkids.
I'm wondering what's the best and most cost effective way of going on the Aiguille du Midi cable car and possibly the Mer de Glace.
Does anyone who's done it recently have any thoughts please ?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If you want to go on the cable car you need a ticket. You can either book them online or queue up. Either way it ain't cheap!!!

http://www.compagniedumontblanc.co.uk/en/site-overview/aiguille-du-midi/rates

Based on when we were there last year if you decide to queue be prepared for a long wait. We didn't bother - far too busy.

If you just want to take the grandkids on a cable car then the Planpraz/Brevant one on the other side of town is considerably cheaper and usually a lot quieter. The second bit from Planpraz to Le Brevent spans a bit of a gorge so don't bother with that bit if any of you have no head for heights.

We'll be there for a couple of days in mid July too on the aire so if you see us give us a shout (y)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
It's amazing. Went up last year for my birthday

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It is expensive, but worth the money. I would suggest going early in the morning if at all possible - you will find the weather probably clearer and much less in the way of crowds. Camping is almost right next door but might be a bit crowded

If you are up for it, you can take a hike up the path to the glacier and get the funicular railway back...

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The aire at the bottom of the cable car is ok for a night or two though basically a car park. Be aware the cable car doesn't run if its windy at the top which you can't tell from the bottom.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Take a jumper ;)
And wear sensible shoes and socks.
Many years ago when the kids were young I was working in Geneva and i decided we would go to Chamonix and ride the cable car to the Aiguille de Midi. It was a boiling hot summer day and so we were dressed in our shorts, Tshirts and sandals. We parked the car next to the cable car station and found a pleasant enough place fairly close by a for a nice picnic lunch.
When we got to the top of the cable car we found the clouds had closed in and the tempreature was sub zero. There our shorts, t shirts and sandals werent really adequate! :whistle:
We had to queue quite a while to get back down by which time we were all frozen stiff. Fortunately once we were back at the bottom it was still scorchio so we soon warmed up.
Lesson learned!

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
For info - we stayed at the Mer de Glace campsite and it was great - see http://chamonix-camping.com/ they provided a free train pass into town for the duration of our stay.
You might also want to consider the train that goes up to Montenvers - nice trip.
We also went on the Brevant cable car which was well worth it. Couldn't go on the Aiguille du Midi cable car as dogs aren't allowed and we had our Old English Sheepdog with us!

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
We went up many years ago with the kids when they were young and again fell into the lack of decent warm clothing trap. Spoiled the trip.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
There's a great bumpy swingy bit about halfway up!:)

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
When climbing Mt Blanc we used cable car for access to the cosmique hut (3 peaks) beautiful place, bear in mind you will be at altitude and cold so be prepared but certainly something you should do if you have the opportunity

andylouch

Free Member
Jun 7, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
Newbies!
All, Just picked up on this thread. We are also planning to visit Chamonix in July! I plan to go to use Aiguille du Midi although SWMBO doesn't fancy it at the moment! Having checked, first trip in July departs 0630 so plan to get up early on day I/we decide to go up. Thanks for link to online booking - hadn't spotted this before!!
Looking for campsites I have contacted both Mer de Glace and l’île des Barrats - neither take advance bookings so hopefully will have space so we can walk/cycle rather than have to camp further out and travel in!!

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I went up during my problems with anxiety/stress. I'm scared of heights so was terrified.

Then I remembered my diazepam and my doc saying I could have 2 if a very bad situation arose.

2 down and was trying to make the carriage swing :clap2:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
am_SEP03059.jpg
AM_SEP03053.jpg
Take a jumper ;)

We were on the bike when we did it, in full biking gear, we were cold !!
am_SEP03059.jpg
AM_SEP03053.jpg

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
@hilldweller
You old thrill seeker you(y)

You bet. Everything about that trip is exceptional. I was constantly thinking "how the hell did they build this ? How did they get the first cables up there ?". I don't care what the price is, it's value for money.

Downside, last visit in MH weather stopped us going up.

Very good place to stop.....
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@45.9151647,6.8618881,371m/data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@45.9...4!1sU_j0SfZ7t3M4JxjKYgwuRw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back