Darlington
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all

I'm in panic mode!

Hubby is on his way to London in hetty the hymer, he works there so parking up until Thursday when we travel to France (hopefully) anyway exhaust has blown so he's desperately trying to get a new one fitted but everywhere is saying it'll be at least 4 days!!

Any suggestions he has to be in London for work tomorrow and obviously we have the tunnel booked for Thursday morning!!

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Fiat Ducato? Someone has to have one availible, most tyre and exhaust fitters won't keep them in stock but a Euro Car parts or similar will have on on the shelf.

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
Assuming Hetty is on a Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen or Renault base I would bodge it and get it fixed in France where they are more common than here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Assuming Hetty is on a Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen or Renault base I would bodge it and get it fixed in France where they are more common than here.
It will cost you, and unless it's
LHD they won't have stock.

OP
OP
Tinty
Mar 29, 2015
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
It is a fiat ducato. Just spoke to him and he said the garage won't bodge it I'm trying to find parts on line for him. He's in Northampton at the moment trying to find another garage.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp

Exhausts and the like are often more expensive in France, on a Peugeot 406 it was cheaper for me to drive to the UK and get it replaced than use the local Peugeot dealer, Norauto etc...

Though Tyres can be found cheaper in France than the UK...

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You can go on line and alter your chunnel booking at no cost. I think, unless you did some odd deal.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
If hes driving into London make sure the vehicle is LEZ compliant (y)

Could work out expensive if not .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tinty
Mar 29, 2015
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
He is thinking of driving back to Darlington and a friend can then help getting the exhaust sorted. Just means he will have to get the train to London for work then train back home Wednesday night and drive back to London Thursday morning phew exhausting! We don't want to change tunnel booking as we have tickets to the England game on Saturday so need to get down to Marseille! Fingers crossed it all works out x thanks for your replies this forum is just great x

Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
I've just fitted new exhaust on our Bessacar based on Ducato and standard exhaust wouldn't fit. Had to have one made.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
He is thinking of driving back to Darlington and a friend can then help getting the exhaust sorted. Just means he will have to get the train to London for work then train back home Wednesday night and drive back to London Thursday morning phew exhausting! We don't want to change tunnel booking as we have tickets to the England game on Saturday so need to get down to Marseille! Fingers crossed it all works out x thanks for your replies this forum is just great x
Give NPA in Stockton a ring (I used to work for them) if they haven't got one in stock they will get one in a few hours, go for Bosal, quality make. May deliver to a garage of your choice.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
If all else fails. Depending on where its blown,you used to be able to buy,"Exhaust Bandage"...DON'T LAUGH this will do straight pipe run holes,but akward bits can be fixed with this,plus a bit of b/bean can and jubilee clips and lot of dexterity.
It would last until Marseilles,if it starts to blow a little,turn the radio up.
Tea Bag

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Y
Hi.
If all else fails. Depending on where its blown,you used to be able to buy,"Exhaust Bandage"...DON'T LAUGH this will do straight pipe run holes,but akward bits can be fixed with this,plus a bit of b/bean can and jubilee clips and lot of dexterity.
Tea Bag
You beet me to it I have do a few repairers that way and using wire coat hangers when it's Ben a blow box
Acupel of tins of exhaust putty sum fiber glass insulation mixed in then a pach mad from a bit of sheet steel or tin put over it wierd in place then just
let it tick over till it all sets
Also helps it's warm when you put it on
I don this and passed two mot with it
Bill

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Y
Hi.
Tea Bag
You beet me to it I have do a few repairers that way and using wire coat hangers when it's Ben a blow box
Acupel of tins of exhaust putty sum fiber glass insulation mixed in then a pach mad from a bit of sheet steel or tin put over it wierd in place then just
let it tick over till it all sets
Also helps it's warm when you put it on
I don this and passed two mot with it
Bill

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
there are generic exhausts for sale cheap on ebay with next day delivery. any old time mechanic would make them fit

on older vans it is sometimes possible to still weld the exhaust as well. done it many times myself over the years

OP
OP
Tinty
Mar 29, 2015
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks all hubby has only just got home after setting of at 9 this morning as you can imagine he's thoroughly peed off to say the least. We can't get hetty on the ramp until Wednesday so just hoping it all works out. Trouble is he has to travel back to London tomorrow morning so can't ring or drive around to try to find an alternative. Worst case scenario we have to leave a day later we'll miss the Marseille game but most importantly we want to get a holiday in France with hetty as its our first time out of the U.K. With her!

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Where in London ? Plenty of places in East London who will "fix" it ... might need a days notice though

OP
OP
Tinty
Mar 29, 2015
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
He's travelled back to the north east now as a friend is going to try to help get it sorted, fingers crossed

OP
OP
Tinty
Mar 29, 2015
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
He's going to try NPA in Stockton and take an extra day of work now (y)

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks, the outer skin on my silencer has just dropped off so I need to get a new one. Was wondering how much it would hurt.
£92 according to this.
Klarius is a good quality exhaust, I'd rather pay a little extra than get one off eBay from Poland etc.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Hi.
Tea Bag
Yup, good advice, firstly, though, calm down. It's only an exhaust! :D
I once put a Renault 18 through an MOT with exhaust bandage on, great stuff. Really depends on where the blow is though! You can also buy sleeves to cure broken joints, the RAC and AA carry them to fix exhausts at the roadside!

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
This van only has to last me one more year then it is going to the knackers yard :(
Hi.
SHAME on you!. All the happy miles its taken you over the years and you begrudge it a bespoke exhaust... Thats the trouble these days,gone are the days you and your vehicle were joined at the hip.
Get a quality exhaust,or, i will go and tell "Diamond Geezer" (Renault master),he will then send out a message from his (brake) DRUMS Doh! word will get to your "Old Faithfull" and when it splutters to a stop,at midnight,in a thunderstorm on a bleak Moor,with no phone signal,think then......... If only i had bought a..Stainless steel exhaust from Eminox... You heard it here first.
Tea Bag D.G's Hippy friend

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Hi.
SHAME on you!. All the happy miles its taken you over the years and you begrudge it a bespoke exhaust... Thats the trouble these days,gone are the days you and your vehicle were joined at the hip.
Get a quality exhaust,or, i will go and tell "Diamond Geezer" (Renault master),he will then send out a message from his (brake) DRUMS Doh! word will get to your "Old Faithfull" and when it splutters to a stop,at midnight,in a thunderstorm on a bleak Moor,with no phone signal,think then......... If only i had bought a..Stainless steel exhaust from Eminox... You heard it here first.
Tea Bag D.G's Hippy friend
::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

It's not just the exhaust. The gearbox is gone. All the sills need redoing, Wheel bearing, brake lines etc etc.

The body work is knackered as well. She is 13 years old and has taken a right beating. As a fulltimer I need to get something more up to date so I can get abroad without worrying about a break down.

?

Deleted User
I know, I was sort of quoting gromets post.

Aye, i thought you were thinking i was posting a shitty ebay linked exhaust. I did buy one before from ebay for my Stilo and the bugger was about a cm short at the flexi pipe. Hammer hear, hammer there and stretch this mount and the other i got it in but not without having to put two gaskets in. Never again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back