Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Hi everyone.
Does anyone happen to know of a recommended valeter we can take our motorhome to in the Alton area for an exterior valet? Don't think we could use a mobile setup as it's a bit muddy where it's stored and don't think the owner would want any extra water there.
Car wash places locally can't do the roof (plus don't want any pressure jets used on it as understand not advisable).
If we could get it at least thoroughly washed that would be a start, want to see it all gleaming.
Many thanks.
Lesley. :)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I'm just about to have ours done, if the guy is any good will send you the details.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
houdini
Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Have received the following, please could someone advise whether this is a reasonable quote for the work stated, the gentleman thinks it will be 6-8 hours work to do a good job:

"Going by the photos attached it would be between £270 and £300.
This would consist of the vehicle fully washed down and dried including door shuts,window closures, exterior storage cabinets etc.
Vehicle will have cab area fully clay barred to remove traffic film off body panels then sealed with a polish that will protect paint upto 6 months. The rear section and roof will be cleansed down inc exterior of all sky light, again this will be sealed with a polish/wax.
All windows will be cleaned, tyres and trim dressed accordingly. "

Thanks.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
So
Have received the following, please could someone advise whether this is a reasonable quote for the work stated, the gentleman thinks it will be 6-8 hours work to do a good job:

"Going by the photos attached it would be between £270 and £300.
This would consist of the vehicle fully washed down and dried including door shuts,window closures, exterior storage cabinets etc.
Vehicle will have cab area fully clay barred to remove traffic film off body panels then sealed with a polish that will protect paint upto 6 months. The rear section and roof will be cleansed down inc exterior of all sky light, again this will be sealed with a polish/wax.
All windows will be cleaned, tyres and trim dressed accordingly. "

Thanks.
Sound expensive to me £50 hour labour ??

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Compared to me the price seems rather expensive (perhaps that explains why I'm so busy). Not sure about clay bar on cab area. Not sure what van you have but most Sevel based vans don't have a lacquer coat and what's on there is very thin so if the guy doesn't know it could result in non reversable damage. At that price point I would expect Collies wax

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I have seen more damage than good done by so called professionals .. You really do need to be sure the person you trust with your vehicle has the knowledge and experience to deal with it.

I have never got to the bottom of this single stage paint question on Seval vehicles. But if Mike is right and I've little doubt he is then claying could ruin the paint completely .

In my opinion no professional would touch the paint without first measuring exactly what they have. Measuring not only indicted the thickness and make up of the paint but also clearly indicates and repaired or re sprayed areas. These areas IF present require more care as they are invariably softer.

There are varying grades and qualities of clay. Only the lightest cut would be used on single stage paint and a super slick lubricant used.

6 hours is not enough to do all that work.

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
houdini
Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Compared to me the price seems rather expensive (perhaps that explains why I'm so busy). Not sure about clay bar on cab area. Not sure what van you have but most Sevel based vans don't have a lacquer coat and what's on there is very thin so if the guy doesn't know it could result in non reversable damage. At that price point I would expect Collies wax

I have seen more damage than good done by so called professionals .. You really do need to be sure the person you trust with your vehicle has the knowledge and experience to deal with it.

I have never got to the bottom of this single stage paint question on Seval vehicles. But if Mike is right and I've little doubt he is then claying could ruin the paint completely .

In my opinion no professional would touch the paint without first measuring exactly what they have. Measuring not only indicted the thickness and make up of the paint but also clearly indicates and repaired or re sprayed areas. These areas IF present require more care as they are invariably softer.

There are varying grades and qualities of clay. Only the lightest cut would be used on single stage paint and a super slick lubricant used.

6 hours is not enough to do all that work.

It's an Adria Coral 680SL. Thank you for all your expert opinions, that's scared me about the clay bar, so I think that will be a 'No' then, plus it's way above our budget, although I do realise you get what you pay for to a certain extent.

:dance:
(Gross misrepresentation! Wish this was my outline). ::bigsmile:

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
It's an Adria Coral 680SL. Thank you for all your expert opinions, that's scared me about the clay bar, so I think that will be a 'No' then, plus it's way above our budget, although I do realise you get what you pay for to a certain extent.

:dance:
(Gross misrepresentation! Wish this was my outline). ::bigsmile:

It's not so much as a no but beware !!!! If the paint is laquer over base then claying is very good idea. If it's a single stage paint IE no laquer then it can still be clayed but an extremely low cut clay must be used and very very carefull measuring.

Absolutely you do get what you pay for but paying top money is no guarantee of a top job. £50 an hour is handsome money in the valeting industry.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back