I have gone to the dark side. (1 Viewer)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Well after 60 odd marathons and 10 or so ultras I have been getting a bit of grief from my left knee for the past 12 months (patella tendinitis).

I therefore opted to do a bit of cycling to try and keep the fitness in between marathons. I started about 12 weeks ago and im now knocking out about 200 miles a week. Just back from a 70 mile ride in to the peak district with 4000ft of climb with my local bike club.

Got meself a full carbon road bike, all the gear no idea but it turns out I am actually not too shabby at this lark.. Still running but not as much and cant wait for my first Iron man

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Triathlons next then. How's your swimming?

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
From the title I thought you were going to tell us you were converting to a tugger!!!

Keep up the mileage, as it's all very impressive!!:)

Something to keep up the inspiration:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I have been getting a bit of grief from my left knee for the past 12 months (patella tendinitis).

I thought I had that but it turned out to be kneecapitus frigginurtus.
....Perhaps you should get a 2nd opinion.

As a matter of interest when I last sailed in the Raja-Mudu Cup almost ten years ago one of my crew was an Iron Man contestant, we called him Iron Mike but he demonstrated his fitness at the regatta by winning an all crew Tri-Shaw race, here he is on my right at dinner with spectacles.

13a Evening Meal.jpg

and in the race here
96 Penang Trishaw races.jpg

One of the other shots is all the skippers.

Attachments

• 95 Penang Trishaw races.jpg
    95 Penang Trishaw races.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 100 Penang post Trishaw.jpg
    100 Penang post Trishaw.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
@hagnap, think you can take all the abuse and other things thrown at you by the motorists.:imoutahere:
Best of luck from a former runner turned cyclist.:cycle:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Enjoy the cycling Paul it certainly keeps you fit, I have been out a few times with my neighbour who's in our local club and even though I can run a marathon no problem I'm normally breathing through my you know what with in 5 miles.

Would love to do an ironman but my swimming really lets me down even tried lessons and still no good :)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
my swimming really lets me down

Gerry, in an effort to help I have spoken with your swimming coach and he has told me that despite several requests by him you continue to insist on swimming in a kilt complete with Badger Handbag and all your money in said bag, no wonder you are so slow, get yerself some speedo second skin $4it and you'll romp home...... Griff, "personal trainer to the Stars."

Last edited:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Glad you don't live round here Haggers:rolleyes:
we have more than our fair share of
"Lycra clad tw*ts fouling up our local roads."
runners are not so bad.:whistle:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Glad you don't live round here Haggers:rolleyes:
we have more than our fair share of
"Lycra clad tw*ts fouling up our local roads."
runners are not so bad.:whistle:

I hope that you have a decent number of decent cyclists too :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No sympathy Paul.
If you were meant to run you would never have learnt to walk and if you were meant to run long distances you would have been born with wheels.

A candidate for two plastic knees and hips in a few years is my bet.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I am doing my part to keeping fit with my step meter:D I've only made 1988 steps today but it is Sunday. I normally do about 7000+ each day.
My son in the US has entered a company wide step competition. They are set up in teams and over a six week period daily step counts are automatically loaded into the system, he is doing around twenty thousand steps a day and as a team are doing quite well overall. Most of us would be amazed just how many steps we make each day. Somehow my lovely lady averages arond 10,000 steps each day.;)(y)

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Well after 60 odd marathons and 10 or so ultras I have been getting a bit of grief from my left knee for the past 12 months (patella tendinitis).

I therefore opted to do a bit of cycling to try and keep the fitness in between marathons. I started about 12 weeks ago and im now knocking out about 200 miles a week. Just back from a 70 mile ride in to the peak district with 4000ft of climb with my local bike club.

Got meself a full carbon road bike, all the gear no idea but it turns out I am actually not too shabby at this lark.. Still running but not as much and cant wait for my first Iron man
Just curious as to which local cycling club to the Peak District. I used to ride with a Macclesfield club many years ago. I haven't done much serious cycling for a long time now though, apart from a ride up Mt Ventoux on my 60th birthday a couple of years ago.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I am doing my part to keeping fit with my step meter:D

The wife said I needed some exercise, so bought me a " fitbit" wristwatch. I'm not getting any more exercise but I've discovered I've been wanking for 3 miles before breakfast every morning :D

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
The wife said I needed some exercise, so bought me a " fitbit" wristwatch. I'm not getting any more exercise but I've discovered I've been wanking for 3 miles before breakfast every morning :D
Just a short one then?

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Just curious as to which local cycling club to the Peak District. I used to ride with a Macclesfield club many years ago. I haven't done much serious cycling for a long time now though, apart from a ride up Mt Ventoux on my 60th birthday a couple of years ago.

I am riding with a group out of Sandbach, its about a 20 mile ride in to the Peaks and then a 30 mile ride around and then a ride back home. I don't mind the distance as I can go for miles, but jeez those hills :mad:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
A

and will the NHS have to pay for this self abuse!

Not sure if your jesting or not but maybe have a look at some of the facts as I see them.
@pappajohn assumes it's my knees that have gone, they haven't I have patella tendinitis on one knee, it will cure and when I have the OP i will be going private.
As a longtime nurse I have seen shed loads of people going in for hips and knees who have never ran a yard for the bus,
I have seen more people with all forms of illness's for being immobile,

I run/ran because I can, I will run tomorrow because I want too as soon as me tendinitis is sorted out.

May I finally point you to the numerous benefits of running cycling and just exercise in general, from mental to physical.

Here's a little starter for you from someone who's love of exercise saved his life.

http://www.runnersworld.com/start-running/6-ways-running-improves-your-health

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back