Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi anyone got a g tech electric bike, wife likes the idea of no gears.

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
My brother just bought one for his wife.She loves it and will probably buy a 2nd .Not cheap at about £1000 .

OP
OP
Kevingrc

Kevingrc

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks XS

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Not only no gears but also belt driven so no chain. We looked seriously at them but decided to stick with pedal power for now when ready for electric bike is a great contender for us.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
It's a lot of money for just a hub drive bike, there are better options out there.

ebikejohn

Free Member
Dec 11, 2015
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2006
The Gtech is probably the best selling eBike in the UK now and a mountain bike style version is imminent, perhaps they will fit gears.

The single gear thing is fine if you are not too bothered about hill climbing, hub motors are easier to maintain than crank motors (and where can you get a crank motor eBike for under £1500), not sure of the merits of a carbon belt over a chain, like most things - you need to see what else is out there at that price, there are plenty of £999 bikes from established, British companies with Shimano derailleurs and hub gears.

Go and try one and see if you can resist the eBike smile.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Wouldn't have thought it would be much cop if only £1000 at UK prices. Can't see it getting up hills without gears, not convinced on belt drives probably OK if you carry a couple of spares otherwise you will be stuck if you strip a belt, chains you can normally repair on the spot if you carry tools & any cycle shop can sort them. Battery life is a pathetic 30 miles, battery life is always quoted under ideal conditions so realistically you can reduce that by up to half what the manufacturers say and at 15 miles wouldn't be worth taking the bike out of the Motorhome garage. Bosch Active line with a 400 watt battery is 160km (manufacturers figures)and they are no supplying 500 watt batteries.
If you want to enjoy your e-bike riding you can't beat a Bosch crank drive, buy a cheap bike with hardly any range after using it a few times you won't want to bother with it, better to spend more and have a bike you will enjoy for years.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Nothing wrong with belts....even some large engined motorbikes are driven by them....as are the vast majority of engine camshaft.
They will far outlast a chain with no regular adjustment or lubrication needed.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Nothing wrong with belts....even some large engined motorbikes are driven by them....as are the vast majority of engine camshaft.
They will far outlast a chain with no regular adjustment or lubrication needed.
Harley Davidsons for a start.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Gates belt drive on our two Kalkhoffs .. coupled to Shimano Alfine 11 speed hub gears, so no derailleur to get dirty or damaged either

fantastic.. almost zero maintenance, super silent.. no worries about rust, dirt or sand .. just a quick wash if they get dirty..

Battery range depends on how lazy you are.. on Eco setting, about 120 ml.. on sport 70 miles.. and super lazy about 50miles..

but we have never ran ours flat .. out all day .. 30 - 40 miles .. up and down hills.. as if you are riding on the flat..

I can speed along at 15 mph all day.. and never break sweat..

You still have to peddle so you get some exercise..

Yes.. they are expensive.. but you get what you pay for..

you won't get a great e bike for £1k

Last edited:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
My brother just bought one for his wife.She loves it and will probably buy a 2nd .Not cheap at about £1000 .

Actually £1000.00 is cheap for an electric bike a half decent quality crank drives a lot more
Not only no gears but also belt driven so no chain. We looked seriously at them but decided to stick with pedal power for now when ready for electric bike is a great contender for us.

Personally wouldn't touch a bike without gears

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/ and relatively economical replacement batteries.

Malcolm

Woosch bikes are cheap and bloody heavy made out of rsj if the weights are anything to go buy.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
There are two types of electric bikes...

a) electric powered, with a throttle , no peddling needed.. 'twist and goes '

b) electric power assisted bikes, known as Pedelecs.. no throttle, they do NOT go without peddling ..

make sure you know what you are buying and it's what you want .. need..

E Bike law .. All you need to know here http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/electric-bike-guides/uk-electric-bike-law/

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Some complimentary write ups by users of these bikes. Even some experienced EBike riders.
Seems is does go uphill after all.
Looks like a good well priced product that were considering

ebikejohn

Free Member
Dec 11, 2015
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2006
It would be interesting to hear from anybody who actually has a Gtech, I have ridden something similar albeit with a 24v 200watt motor, single speed with a chain, so less powerful but it was lighter than the Gtech, useful range was only about 18/20 miles and it was certainly not the best hill climber in the world but how many people actually need a bike that has a range of more than 20 miles or so? The bike I rode was fun but I didn't think it was a viable option for hilly rides.

So where the Gtech is concerned it is the hill climbing that intrigues me and I would love to hear from somebody who has actually ridden one. I am told that Gtech have sold over 5,000 bikes since their launch, surely somebody must have ridden one.

Don't dismiss it because it costs £1000, there are lots of extremely good £1000 eBikes out there and the Gtech might be one of them.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
It would be interesting to hear from anybody who actually has a Gtech, I have ridden something similar albeit with a 24v 200watt motor, single speed with a chain, so less powerful but it was lighter than the Gtech, useful range was only about 18/20 miles and it was certainly not the best hill climber in the world but how many people actually need a bike that has a range of more than 20 miles or so? The bike I rode was fun but I didn't think it was a viable option for hilly rides.

So where the Gtech is concerned it is the hill climbing that intrigues me and I would love to hear from somebody who has actually ridden one. I am told that Gtech have sold over 5,000 bikes since their launch, surely somebody must have ridden one.

Don't dismiss it because it costs £1000, there are lots of extremely good £1000 eBikes out there and the Gtech might be one of them.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Ive just bought an e bike. A2B obree model. Yes expensive, but gives a realistic range of about 70 miles, and if you have nowhere to recharge the batteries when wild camping you are slightly buggered

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
we recently bought a couple of haibikes with the Yamaha motors and batteries ,must say that we love them,i have a childs buggy where i put in our three small dogs and tow them along quite happily ,im up and down the gears as per required, they really are fun

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
We are trying to wade through the ebike range with a max budget of £1000 each. Definitely considering the gtec.

The question is, as we seldom use sites with electric, how to charge them. Currently we have one 100w solar panel that keeps two batteries charged up nicely. Is there a simple way of integrating charging the bike batteries. Simple answers please, I consider myself slightly technically challe

OP
OP
Kevingrc

Kevingrc

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
I'm a newbie
Got a g tech bike coming tomorrow for the wife, will let you know how she gets on.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We are trying to wade through the ebike range with a max budget of £1000 each. Definitely considering the gtec.

The question is, as we seldom use sites with electric, how to charge them. Currently we have one 100w solar panel that keeps two batteries charged up nicely. Is there a simple way of integrating charging the bike batteries. Simple answers please, I consider myself slightly technically challe
E-bikes tend to have their own certificated chargers, best and often only way is to fit an inverter so you can use the mains charger.
I fitted a 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter which allows me to charge both bike batteries at the same time. Best to charge them when they are only partly discharged, with 200 watts of solar it took several days in June to re-charge van batteries after charging flat bike batteries, thinking about fitting another 100 watts of solar.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back