Anyone been fined in Portugal? (1 Viewer)

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
we drove in to Portugal from northern Spain and didn't see anywhere to register for the auto tolls. We "accidentally" ended up on an auto toll twice yesterday but still haven't found anywhere to register. I might try and do it online but just wanted to see if anyone has been fined for not paying? Our Spanish neighbour said he has never attempted to pay in 3 years and has never heard anything. It would be just my luck to get in trouble :doh:

Deleted User
Not fined but I was checked on a service area by some officials and had to pay some unpaid tolls. There was no fine because I had tried to set up payments but had gone over the pre paid limits as I was not aware at the time of the vehicle class system and I was towing the 5'er some of the time.

They had a record of every trip I had made since the beginning of the toll system, they do keep records but I have no idea what the chances of being checked are.

There is no system of post payment but it is possible to set up an account on line, I have posted the link several times, I am sure it will show up in a search.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I think most people get away with it, but friends of ours picked up a parking fine in Porto and were tracked back to the UK and threatened with a civil action (which could well be enforceable over in the UK). It was fairly small, so they paid up rather than have the hassle.

For ourselves, we have to be careful as we have residency and NIF numbers and so forth, so they can get nasty. Technically you are also time limited on use of a foreign registered vehicle (3 months I believe) and I don't want to push things

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
We were done in February 2015 for "camping" in a coastal parking area because we had the front wheels on levelling ramps. QuintaPedro, on this site, is Portugese and he helped us with the translation of the 200 euro fine when it arrived from Portugal, 8 months later.

We paid up and looked cheerful. (But didn't feel it.)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I heard they had kicked the tolls into touch as illegal. One of my Portuguese "people" will be along shortly with the correct info. Over to you my man @JJ.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I heard they had kicked the tolls into touch as illegal. One of my Portuguese "people" will be along shortly with the correct info. Over to you my man @JJ.

Not true...

The government have plans to reduce the toll charges but hasn't taken effect yet... (at the last time of asking.)

JJ :cool:

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
There's no bureaucracy to match the Portuguese.

I heard about one bloke who (just) failed the breath test and was held overnight until his missus coughed up the fixed penalty which applies to first time foreign offenders (about 400 Euros). He was more than a bit arrogant when they released him, thinking he'd got away with things and being British that he was above the law, and the GNR came round to his place the next day and confiscated his 2 year old vehicle as it had been in the country for more than the legal time limit (which is 6 months I have since confirmed).

Generally speaking they're not too bad with the Brits. Woe betide anyone with German or Dutch plates on their vehicles, though

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
A friend of ours was also stopped on a motorway and they also had all the details of his trips. He had to pay the amounts owing but no fine.

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Looks like I had better register my credit card then, with the aid of google translate as the webpage is in Portuguese even when you press the GB option :doh:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
As far as I know you will be Ok unless you are unlucky enough to be stopped and then I believe there is a fine about 10 fold of the toll not paid but fear not it is very unlikely. Now you are a fair way down avoid the tolls and enjoy Portugal. If you struggle with the language nip to Pedro's for an odd night or two and give him and Mi a hug from us two

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
As far as I know you will be Ok unless you are unlucky enough to be stopped and then I believe there is a fine about 10 fold of the toll not paid but fear not it is very unlikely. Now you are a fair way down avoid the tolls and enjoy Portugal. If you struggle with the language nip to Pedro's for an odd night or two and give him and Mi a hug from us two
Will do (y)

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
from memory you cant pay the toll after you have used it on a uk reg,so forget it,i would not reg any card for sure

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
from memory you cant pay the toll after you have used it on a uk reg,so forget it,i would not reg any card for sure
Correct. The chances are you won't have any problems, but the card reg lasts for 30 days, it forms acceptable proof of entry and is it really worth the aggro?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
That's the site I was on but when you click the link to register all the tabs are in Portuguese :crying:

Very strange, if I click "How to pay" its all in English, if I click "Buy here" on the page that comes up, that's all in English as well, if fact wherever I click it comes up in English.
Are you using the chrome browser?

The

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Very strange, if I click "How to pay" its all in English, if I click "Buy here" on the page that comes up, that's all in English as well, if fact wherever I click it comes up in English.

The
Yes I am using the chrome browser. Should I use safari?

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I just tried, also got it in English, using Chrome

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back